Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's also my third after Superman III and MoS.

I was at a gym last year and though it would never be the sort of thing to catch my eye for too long, this guy who looked very much like Cavill was wearing an awesome Superman sweater. To the point where if I couldn't tell he was under 30, I'd have thought it was something like the NY walk-about prank. I ended up talking to him and telling how I didn't want to see BvS after all I'd heard. He remarked how people let the negativity of others feed their own negativity, and that there's no harm in trusting Superman. It's funny because we're only talking about spending $10 and sitting down for 3 hours, but it did indeed give me the motivation to (after finishing my workout) trust all the good I could find in the movie if I did find some. Surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And people say Goyer doesn't get the character.
    If he wrote those two movies and doesn't get that he wrote a Clark and not a Kal, there might be something missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Superman only works for me when there's the right balance between hope, humor, and an underlying sense of sadness born out of the loneliness of being among the last of kind, and his feelings of isolation and being an outsider during his formative years.
    I've always read being the last son of Krypton as being his hope, tremendous both in privilege and responsibility. Because he's the last son of Krypton, he carries the hope of his old people and brings it to his new people. It makes him a better human and hero. Which is why "isolation in growing up" just seems like something someone whipped up in the mid 2000s. Superboy flew around baking giant cakes and the post crisis model largely just felt his difference in things like his friends getting hurt when he didn't.

Cavill's Superman ultimately does have it as both hope and sadness, but because he's not the comic version of Superman I can accept fear at the weight of his burden, and questioning that it's even his burden. Those feelings are even in the bravest or wisest among us.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I keep sounding like a looping record, but BvS really feels like there is a missing chapter between MOS and BvS that Sets up what gets payed off in BvS. I certainly wish we got a bonafide MOS2 prior to BvS where we got to know Cavill's Supes, his relationship to the world, set up Luthor a bit more thoroughly etc. For the arc of BvS to work effectively the audience needed to connect to Superman a little more. They were somewhat effective in MOS, but we really needed more time with him and the world around him. If you watch BvS multiple times you eventually get that the world en masse didn't hate and dispise him, but upon first watch one can be forgiven for missing that.

I still think BvS ultimate cut is a criminally underrated movie and wrongly derided. I still rank it my third favorite Superman movie (after The Donner film and MOS that is.)
    I think the problem is most people take even asking questions about Superman in a negative light so the montage even though it shows superman doing good it's not accepted cause they feel people are questioning those good works so they must be bad.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Another video by Tomos Surrey, this time about Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I keep sounding like a looping record, but BvS really feels like there is a missing chapter between MOS and BvS that Sets up what gets payed off in BvS. I certainly wish we got a bonafide MOS2 prior to BvS where we got to know Cavill's Supes, his relationship to the world, set up Luthor a bit more thoroughly etc. For the arc of BvS to work effectively the audience needed to connect to Superman a little more. They were somewhat effective in MOS, but we really needed more time with him and the world around him. If you watch BvS multiple times you eventually get that the world en masse didn't hate and dispise him, but upon first watch one can be forgiven for missing that.

I still think BvS ultimate cut is a criminally underrated movie and wrongly derided. I still rank it my third favorite Superman movie (after The Donner film and MOS that is.)
    I had an idea I posted on Facebook under my real name where it's a Netflix miniseries (8-10 episodes tops) that bridges the gap between MoS and BvS, but Superman doesn't appear as a character. it's about Clark, his day job. the Daily Planet, his co-workers. and it ties in to the DCEU down to even having the cast from those movies reprise their roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    If he wrote those two movies and doesn't get that he wrote a Clark and not a Kal, there might be something missing.
    I'd definitely be among the first(s) in a group of people to advocate for Kal-El as the real identity over Clark, but. I do have to say, Clark is a part of him. a very important part indeed, it's why Kal (the Nu52 version of the character to prevent any confusion) almost immediately regretted forsaking the identity in favor of being Superman full time. and ultimately brought him back with help from Batman and Mrs. N.
    Last edited by Netherman14; 01-30-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaLantern View Post
    Just because you don’t like it doesn’t change that it happened and everyone shares your viewpoint.
    ?? Dude, did the smiley face not clue you into my sarcasm?

I dont even hate the movie as much as a lot of people here do. I just think it was the wrong story at the wrong time, and will never forgive it for how it handled the title fight.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Every time I see Oil Rig scene, I keep thinking about how Clark's very first scene in Man of Steel is him saving random people while not wearing a cape, not being known to the and without taking any credit for his actions, because he doesn't need to, he just did what was right and possible only for him at that moment. And somehow Zack Snyder doesn't get Superman and MoS is "not my Superman", when he does exactly same things that your Superman would do while not being actually Superman yet. During Lois' investigation you see her encountering people who crossed paths with Clark and that he became a urban legend "for some he was a guardian angel, for others a cipher, a ghost who never quite fit in" and when those people talk about Clark, they either smile or in aww from his actions. That Oil Rig scene and him stopping harassment of a woman in the bar just shows that doing good became an instinct for him, so it was only a matter of time when this kind of power will be helping on a global level, all he needed is to learn how to fly and Jor-El helped him with that. So when in BvS when Clark sees that there is a girl about to burn in Mexico and no one is going to save her, he flies there and saves the day. No wonder why someone like that would be worshipped as a God, but despite religious notions that Zack Snyder makes, at the end of the day his point is what was said on news feed "the fact that maybe he is not some devil or Jesus character, maybe he is just a guy trying to do the right thing". I think people just came to the point that being ultimately and selflessly good with greatest powers is somehow impossible for ordinary people and when a person like that appears in the world, he becomes messiah, but truth is being Superman isn't that impossible, which is why we see Perry trying to save Jenny and staying with her till the end goes in parallel with Superman destroying World Engine, because both actions are in fact equally heroic.
    Last edited by GreatKungLao; 02-02-2018 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    Every time I see Oil Rig scene, I keep thinking about how Clark's very first scene in Man of Steel is him saving random people while not wearing a cape, not being known to the and without taking any credit for his actions, because he doesn't need to, he just did what was right and possible only for him at that moment. And somehow Zack Snyder doesn't get Superman and MoS is "not my Superman", when he does exactly same things that your Superman would do while not being actually Superman yet. During Lois' investigation you see her encountering people who crossed paths with Clark and that he became a urban legend "for some he was a guardian angel, for others a cipher, a ghost who never quite fit in" and when those people talk about Clark, they either smile or in aww from his actions. That Oil Rig scene and him stopping harassment of a woman in the bar just shows that doing good became an instinct for him, so it was only a matter of time when this kind of power will be helping on a global level, all he needed is to learn how to fly and Jor-El helped him with that. So when in BvS when Clark sees that there is a girl about to burn in Mexico and no one is going to save her, he flies there and saves the day. No wonder why someone like that would be worshipped as a God, but despite religious notions that Zack Snyder makes, at the end of the day his point is what was said on news feed "the fact that maybe he is not some devil or Jesus character, maybe he is just a guy trying to do the right thing". I think people just came to the point that being ultimately and selflessly good with greatest powers is somehow impossible for ordinary people and when a person like that appears in the world, he becomes messiah, but truth is being Superman isn't that impossible, which is why we see Perry trying to save Jenny and staying with her till the end goes in parallel with Superman destroying World Engine, because both actions are in fact equally heroic.
    I think Superman in MoS and B v S is exactly what Superman would be in such a world. It's the things around him that are different. He's a bit different but he couldn't help but be in a more realistic world. But he doesn't do anything most other versions of Superman would do. The fight over Metropolis that may or may not have killed people? There have been endless fights in comics and movies where that would happen. It's the genre that's different. Locked into a fight like that, it's inevitable in a non four color world that people will be killed. Killing Zod? He killed Zod Post-Crisis regardless of whether it's been retconned away. He killed someone in the Silver Age and that was even worse because it was in the rationalization mode of "I didn't actually kill him. I set him up to be killed so that means I didn't really kill him even though I knew exactly what would happen". And, of course, the Golden Age Superman, non retcon, killed all sorts of people.

So, again, when it comes to the character himself, I have no problem with his course of action.

I also love that Lois finds out who he is right away. Don't get me wrong. I love the old stories where he hides his identity forever but that was in another era and it's been done to death. It was nice to see a new take that showed Lois as being as smart and as good of a reporter as she's supposed to be.

I loved StM and was thrilled at the end by the overall presentation but I didn't necessarily feel that way because I found Superman inspirational. It was just the overall tone. But with MoS, I genuinely found Superman himself inspirational because he wasn't in a world where reality itself bent over to accommodate him. There was something very positive about seeing him trying to do his best in a far more realistic world.

I've posted quite a few negative opinions of MoS but most of then are along the lines that they should have known what the overall audience reaction would be to some of it and to the general tone.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    ?? Dude, did the smiley face not clue you into my sarcasm?

I dont even hate the movie as much as a lot of people here do. I just think it was the wrong story at the wrong time, and will never forgive it for how it handled the title fight.
    I thought the fight was handled well with one thing standing out to me. Clark even when weakened and outmatched by Bruce never backs down. Bruce when Clark's powers come back immediately back away like a frightened child. Clark never strikes with intent to do lasting harm, Bruce kicks you while your down (or in this case breaks a sink over your head). I appluade Snyder and Goyer for being that subdle in highlighting Superman's restraint whilst showing Batman's brutality.

Deleted for reasons.
    Power with Girl is better.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

I felt nostalgic over Man of Steel and was browsing through various interviews and stumbled upon this compilation that I've never seen before. Beautiful stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It's also my third after Superman III and MoS.

I was at a gym last year and though it would never be the sort of thing to catch my eye for too long, this guy who looked very much like Cavill was wearing an awesome Superman sweater. To the point where if I couldn't tell he was under 30, I'd have thought it was something like the NY walk-about prank. I ended up talking to him and telling how I didn't want to see BvS after all I'd heard. He remarked how people let the negativity of others feed their own negativity, and that there's no harm in trusting Superman. It's funny because we're only talking about spending $10 and sitting down for 3 hours, but it did indeed give me the motivation to (after finishing my workout) trust all the good I could find in the movie if I did find some. Surreal.

I've always read being the last son of Krypton as being his hope, tremendous both in privilege and responsibility. Because he's the last son of Krypton, he carries the hope of his old people and brings it to his new people. It makes him a better human and hero. Which is why "isolation in growing up" just seems like something someone whipped up in the mid 2000s. Superboy flew around baking giant cakes and the post crisis model largely just felt his difference in things like his friends getting hurt when he didn't.

Cavill's Superman ultimately does have it as both hope and sadness, but because he's not the comic version of Superman I can accept fear at the weight of his burden, and questioning that it's even his burden. Those feelings are even in the bravest or wisest among us.
    Uh.. Superman was isolated growing up since the 50 at least. He had to get friends from 1000 years in the future in order to find a place where he could be himself. That's the character. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by panthergod View Post
    Uh.. Superman was isolated growing up since the 50 at least. He had to get friends from 1000 years in the future in order to find a place where he could be himself. That's the character. Period.
    But Clark Kent has had plenty of friends. Pete Ross, Lana Lang, later on Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, just a few I can think of off the top of my head. That was sort of the problem
    of Cavill's portrayal. Not enough Clark Kent. Jimmy Olsen was one of Clark's best friends and Zack Snyder thought it would be fun to kill Jimmy without even showing the two interacting.

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 02-04-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Love this scene...