Default Solo Black Widow film... as comedy?

I really would like to see a Black Widow film. I'm a fan of the character, I believe Scarlet Johannson to be a great fit for Natasha and I think Black Widow would make the more sense as a solo female film for the MCU.
    Now, there's a lot of talk about a possible BW film, and that's good, but then there's THIS small interview with Taika Waititi where he expresses the desire of directing the film, as a comedy and I'm suddenly not so sure about this.
    Taika Waititi seems to have done a great job with Thor, I dig the comedic aspects of the tale I've seen thus far but I worry doing the same with a character like BW. Sure she shouldn't be all serious and there should be space for humor, but I think BW would work great as Marvel's James Bond, and injecting too much comedy would kill that feel and possibly ruin the character making a joke out of her.

So, what do you think? Do you want a Black Widow film? And how should it be done?

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

BANNED

Doubt Feige will go along...but it's the sort of risky approach that creative people take all the time. Talented people can make it work and make us realize that we wanted it all along.

Film, no. Netflix series? Yes. Make it mature, recast for a younger, better actress for BW.

Red Room. Soviets. Cold War. Petrovich. Winter Soldier. Red Guardian. Could be great.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    I really would like to see a Black Widow film. I'm a fan of the character, I believe Scarlet Johannson to be a great fit for Natasha and I think Black Widow would make the more sense as a solo female film for the MCU.
    Now, there's a lot of talk about a possible BW film, and that's good, but then there's THIS small interview with Taika Waititi where he expresses the desire of directing the film, as a comedy and I'm suddenly not so sure about this.
    Taika Waititi seems to have done a great job with Thor, I dig the comedic aspects of the tale I've seen thus far but I worry doing the same with a character like BW. Sure she shouldn't be all serious and there should be space for humor, but I think BW would work great as Marvel's James Bond, and injecting too much comedy would kill that feel and possibly ruin the character making a joke out of her.

So, what do you think? Do you want a Black Widow film? And how should it be done?
    James Bond Sounds like a good fit as far as tone goes.
    But only when we are talking about the kind of James Bond Movies pre-Craig.
    There have been enough paranoid "realistic" gritty Spy Movies over the last decade.

That said: An all out Comedy is not the way to go either.
    And the less Red Room-KGB stuff is involved the better. Its bad enough the Comics can't figure out a way to write other stories for her than being haunted by her past.

That said a flashback on how she joined SHIELD and met Barton as hinted at during the first Movie is a requirement.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Ultimate Member

Black Widow as a comedy? No. Maybe not a thousand times no, but at least 850 times no.

BANNED

Words are being put into the poor guy's mouth. He only said he wants to make it lighter, funnier than you'd expect it to be, not all gloom and doom as her background would suggest a solo Widow film might be.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Surprise, surprise.

He only said he wants to make it lighter, funnier than you'd expect it to be, not all gloom and doom as her background would suggest a solo Widow film might be.
    Black, gallows humor would be welcome. I'd also bet Natasha has a mean poker face and a sense of humor to match.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Words are being put into the poor guy's mouth. He only said he wants to make it lighter, funnier than you'd expect it to be, not all gloom and doom as her background would suggest a solo Widow film might be.
    Sounds like an MCU Black Widow movie to me .