Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default What I - "FAN X" want in a Spider-man book! :=)

YES!! This is the thread, where you, dear fellow Spidey-fans and readers, can post your ideas, and your LIKES for the Spidey-books, the elements of yesteryear, or simply never-year, whom you like the best.

Tell the rest of us, and the world at large, what you want to see in the Spider-man comic-magazine and strip! =)

Now then... to business... I want to see ADVENTURE! I like excitement, there should be fantastic and spectacular events in the book, big, exciting fights and the like - that's what I like!

And I like situational comedy - I want Spidey to crack wise and make fun of the bad guys, cause that's fun, and I like fun.

I also want Pete to use his scientific mind fairly often, to beat the bad-guys, or come up with some way to save the day. Pete's smart, so let's see him use those smarts.

And I want good art! A team-up between John Romita Jr and BOB LAYTON ( they eliminate each others flaws, like Sienkiewicz and Buscema) would be a dream come true!

Ok... those are my wants, what I want to see in the comic - what do you want to see?

Incredible Member

Ngroove's wants of Spider-Franchise:

1) Mary Jane. Either re-re-boot back to marriage status quo, or at least get them back together in dating - and I mean DATING - not just "casual hangout" - complete with on both ends: "I LOVE YOU".

2) I'll give this a wait five more years, to allow his last "death" be less death-cheaty, but when it's up, DOCTOR OCTOPUS RETURNS! Place his mind / consciousness into a clone body if need be, but his form better be back to basics; dapper and bowl-cutted.

3) MULTIPLE TITLES! Because honestly, I don't always care much for what Amazing was / is doing, so it was good to have alternatives when it lasted.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: Writer: J Michael Straczynski / Art: Mark Bagley

SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN: Writer: Tom Defalco / Art: Ron Frenz

SPIDER-MAN: Writer: Peter David / Art: Dan Jurgens

UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN: Writer: Kurt Busiek w/ Occassional Sub Roger Stern / Art: Pat Olliffe

4) Keep the jokes CLEAN
    Last edited by ngroove; 07-15-2014 at 08:31 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    I want to see ADVENTURE! I like excitement, there should be fantastic and spectacular events in the book, big, exciting fights and the like - that's what I like!

And I like situational comedy - I want Spidey to crack wise and make fun of the bad guys, cause that's fun, and I like fun.

I also want Pete to use his scientific mind fairly often, to beat the bad-guys, or come up with some way to save the day. Pete's smart, so let's see him use those smarts.

And I want [B]good art!
    Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Ngroove's wants of Spider-Franchise:

1) Mary Jane. Either re-re-boot back to marriage status quo, or at least get them back together in dating - and I mean DATING - not just "casual hangout" - complete with on both ends: "I LOVE YOU".

2) I'll give this a wait five more years, to allow his last "death" be less death-cheaty, but when it's up, DOCTOR OCTOPUS RETURNS! Place his mind / consciousness into a clone body if need be, but his form better be back to basics; dapper and bowl-cutted.
    With you 100% on these!

@L.R Johansson: I feel Slott's actually delivering your first quoted paragraph. Big, brash and fun! And here comes Spider-Verse!

I'll have to have a good long think about my perfect line ups and wants. Probably get back on this tomorrow.

I want to see ADVENTURE! I like excitement, there should be fantastic and spectacular events in the book, big, exciting fights and the like - that's what I like!

And I want good art!

3) MULTIPLE TITLES! Because honestly, I don't always care much for what Amazing was / is doing, so it was good to have alternatives when it lasted.
    These I agree with.

This one I don't. I'm tired of Mary Jane. She's had her day, now it's time for her to leave, maybe not forever but for a good long time.

Other things... guest stars. I want Spider-man to have guest stars in the books, but I want them to be people he just runs into. I don't want them to be people from the team he's on (because he shouldn't be on a team) nor do I want him calling up half a dozen heroes on the phone for help. If he's just out there doing his things and runs into Daredevil or Sleepwalker, that's cool.

I want Norman Osborn to lose in a way that totally shatters him and makes him disappear for decades.

The Green Goblin and Venom seriously need to know that Peter is Spider-man again. They haven't been as threating since BND and the fights have been less personal. What made those villains great in the first place was that they posed a danger to Peter's personal life. Now, I can't take them as seriously.

also, an MJ that isn't bitchy as well.
    I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers... I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And we have, man, we have, all of us. Homes, and our families, normal lives. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it's giving us something. It is giving us a chance.

BANNED

1) Villains that are actually villains. Find a way for even some of Spidey's B and C-league bad guys to have good stories where they're threats. Bring back Venom as a bad guy--it doesn't even have to be Brock. I don't want to be asked as a reader to sympathize with Doc Ock and his childhood.

2) Less science-y Peter. When he has every resource at his disposal to fight his battles, when he can make any super-suit he can dream up, it kind of underwhelms the underdog nature of the character, of Spidey using his wits or surroundings to win instead.

3) Less guest stars--I think this speaks for itself. Spider-man has come off like a bit player in his own book for years now.

4) Wouldn't mind having more of the classic supporting cast appear: Robbie Robertson, Ben Urich, Betty, Flash, more MJ. Would like to see less of Sanjani, Anna Maria or the Horizon Labs types.

5) A better-written Peter Parker. I know this is purely subjective, but I will stand by it. I never want to read about a Peter Parker that's okay with one of his villains killing him and body swapping with him. Make the book more about Parker and less like it's just happening around him.

6) Better art, or at least a consistent art team. I like what Camuncoli brings to the table, but I am Ramos-d out.

7) Another satellite book that matters as an alternative. Spider-man should be able to carry two titles at least.

Reboot the whole Marvel universe and have Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley on ASM.

Bendis is the last person i want to see writing ... anything. Ever.

I'm simple to please so, more books! Specifically:

1. Spider-Man & Black Cat - think Batman & Robin but with more boobs...
    2. Spectacular Spider-Gwen -that new Spider Gwen character takes on the more funny lighthearted side of the spiderverse. Think Batgirl
    3. Agent Venom - bang, bang! Think Nightwing
    4. All New Scarlet Spider - trying to become a hero by killing all his enemies and making a name for himself. Think Red Hood and the Outlaws
    5. Spider-Woman - she handles the dark/occult side of the spiderverse. Think Batwoman
    6. Black Cat - follows Black Cat re-reforming to the hero side but battling her past and well mostly learning that she can't shake her old habits all that easy. Think Catwoman
    7. C.Cooper's Squad - Carlie forms a special ops team with Black Widow, Spider Girl, Spider Woman, and other heroes from the Marvel universe, she works as an informant... sort of like Oracle so think Birds of Prey
    8. International Spider-Men - as the name says it's a weekly series that goes to a different part of the world where Spider-Man has inspired a different person to become that regions spider theme hero kinda like Batman Inc.
    9. Stealthy Spyder - follows Black Widow as she takes on different missions specifically revolving around the spiderverse, kinda like Grayson

that's it as you can see all of these "original" books revolve around exploring different parts of the spiderverse for a specific reason to. All I want is to learn more about the world that revolves around Spider-Man as it often feels too centered on Spidey himself and ignores all the other awesome characters that should be further developed/explored

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    And I want good art! A team-up between John Romita Jr and BOB LAYTON ( they eliminate each others flaws, like Sienkiewicz and Buscema) would be a dream come true!
    God please no, keep JRJr away from Spidey. I have not been a JRJr fan since he stopped being John Romita Jr and started being Frank Miller Jr. His recent Avengers and Captain America runs were abysmal

Quote Originally Posted by THE DANGER965 View Post
    The Green Goblin and Venom seriously need to know that Peter is Spider-man again. They haven't been as threating since BND and the fights have been less personal. What made those villains great in the first place was that they posed a danger to Peter's personal life. Now, I can't take them as seriously.

also, an MJ that isn't bitchy as well.
    I agree with both of these sentiments 100%. There has been some major MJ character assassination going on for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    5) A better-written Peter Parker. I know this is purely subjective, but I will stand by it. I never want to read about a Peter Parker that's okay with one of his villains killing him and body swapping with him. Make the book more about Parker and less like it's just happening around him.

6) Better art, or at least a consistent art team. I like what Camuncoli brings to the table, but I am Ramos-d out.

7) Another satellite book that matters as an alternative. Spider-man should be able to carry two titles at least.
    I agree with these as well. The first 4.....not so much

BANNED

In no particular order...

A historically-accurate period piece on New York City for Peter's origin story. Gritty, honest, slivers of hope shining through the grime and corruption. Just because I think it'd be an interesting project.

Willing to support the return of the marriage if their baby isn't cute. Doesn't have to be butt-ugly, but a five-head might satisfy me.

More Paper Doll.

A scientific rivalry for Peter with someone who isn't a supervillain. Peter owns a company now, give him some other young scientist with his own start-up.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    In no particular order...

A historically-accurate period piece on New York City for Peter's origin story. Gritty, honest, slivers of hope shining through the grime and corruption. Just because I think it'd be an interesting project.

Willing to support the return of the marriage if their baby isn't cute. Doesn't have to be butt-ugly, but a five-head might satisfy me.

More Paper Doll.

A scientific rivalry for Peter with someone who isn't a supervillain. Peter owns a company now, give him some other young scientist with his own start-up.
    With that idea, everyone at one point would want him as a villain just because he's Peter's rival.
    IE Tiberius Stone could've fit the role if they hadn't shown him having villain tendencies.

BTW would it be ok if the baby had 1 cute head along with 4 spider heads?

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

A fresh, crisp twenty in every issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    With that idea, everyone at one point would want him as a villain just because he's Peter's rival.
    IE Tiberius Stone could've fit the role if they hadn't shown him having villain tendencies.
    Tiberius was kinda fun, probably still is that douchey nerd over in 2099.

I'd really just like a non-costumed science peer. Maybe the guy dislikes Peter because Otto got the loan meant for his own start-up since Otto had someone like Jameson Senior in his corner. Peter just keeps coming across as the Big Guy willing to eat the Little Guy, at least at first. It'll eventually become a friendly rivalry.

BTW would it be ok if the baby had 1 cute head along with 4 spider heads?
    Too "special". Let their kid grow up as a normal underdog.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    With you 100% on these!

@L.R Johansson: I feel Slott's actually delivering your first quoted paragraph. Big, brash and fun! And here comes Spider-Verse!

I'll have to have a good long think about my perfect line ups and wants. Probably get back on this tomorrow.
    I wouldn't actually know if Slott has delivered on this, because I'm still trying to read up on the BRAND NEW DAY ERA!! xD Just finished American Son.

The BND -era was a lot more varied in quality then what I remember from the first couple of arcs... I think I really enjoyed it then - but then it starts getting a bit finicky, everything isn't that kind of water-tight fun any more - I mean, who doesn't think Spidey fighting an Aztec god that can break the 4th wall, isn't fun?!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    1) Villains that are actually villains. Find a way for even some of Spidey's B and C-league bad guys to have good stories where they're threats. Bring back Venom as a bad guy--it doesn't even have to be Brock. I don't want to be asked as a reader to sympathize with Doc Ock and his childhood.
    I agree in part, but disagree in part as well. Adding sympathetic traits to a villain, is a good thing - it makes them more well-rounded characters, instead of carbon cut-outs.

But it's definitely time to take a look at some more Spider-villains, and do a BIG story with one of them. Mysterio is ripe for this - he has the mileage, and the intellect.

Oh! And yeah, definitely bring back the classic VENOM! : )

I would agree that Ramos needs to go - I've never liked his stuff, too stylized for me. Or rather, it's stylized in a way that I don't like - it's hard to follow and read.

But I'm not a fan of sattellite-books... in fact, I think satellite-books and extra-titles is part of the rubbish that has poisoned the American Superhero genre - along with crossover Events, pointless deaths, and alternate covers.

It all begins with that utterly pointless satellite-title, man.

We do *not* need two superman-titles, two Batman, or 50 X-men titles.

Invest in other characters instead, make them popular enough to carry their own title, and we won't need no extra title, we'll have tons of other great stuff to read instead. Seriously, satellite-titles cannibalize on each other, and cheapens the entire comic-book market.

NO SATELLITE-TITLES. No extras. They're not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by The4orTy67 View Post
    Reboot the whole Marvel universe and have Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley on ASM.
    NEVER!! Although I do love the team of Bagley and Bendis, admittedly... But no.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Bendis is the last person i want to see writing ... anything. Ever.
    Oi! He's a fine writer. Even if you don't care for his style, there are TONS of other writers that are far worse - as you well know.

ROB LIEFELD, anyone?? He's an even worse writer than an artist - and don't you try and spell it any other way, Alan. That would be factually incorrect, and misleading to those that may not be in the know.

( yes, yes - a bit of tongue in cheek on the last part, but the whole discussion is absurd to begin with, so I might as well use absurdist claims to support my stance.)

Quote Originally Posted by rocky123 View Post
    God please no, keep JRJr away from Spidey. I have not been a JRJr fan since he stopped being John Romita Jr and started being Frank Miller Jr. His recent Avengers and Captain America runs were abysmal
    Rocky... you have to remember the bolded part. It wouldn't be regular modern JRJr, it would be something similar to JrJR's run on Iron Man, but modernized. He'd be inked by Layton, who is a very heavy inker, of the old school, who changes the art quite a bit, when he's done. It wouldn't be sketchy Claus Janson, who has a much sketchier inking-style.

It would be hard to imagine what it would look like, but probably something in-between these two pics:

Iron Man #154 ( the last time Layton inked JRJR)

Eternals ( Romita's last more focused work, before he started really exaggerating, and being very lose with his pencils. Or maybe it was the last time he wasn't inked by Janson. Dunno'.)