Default Where does the current Spidey animated show fit among the others?

How does the new animated spidey show compare to the animated shows of the past? It probably depends how old you are and what was the Spidey show you watched as a kid.

I really loved "Spectacular Spider-Man (2008)", and I was bummed that it was cancelled after only 2 season, and even worse, it was followed by Ultimate Spider-Man, which was horrible.

But this current show seems really solid, the animation isn't an A+, but its pretty good.

I'd say it captures the feel of Spider-Man and his world more then Ultimate did for the most part, but definitely doesn't look as strong or as solid visually.

The writing and stories are also not on the level of Spectacular but are generally pretty solid and serviceable, as well as fun and enjoyable for the most part even if there are certain creative liberties I haven't been crazy about.

The voice cast is also pretty strong even if it feels like the material or the characterization of certain characters hampers the VA's performance to some degree.

Overall I think it's shaping up to be a solid Spider-Man cartoon and has a lot of potential .

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I think it's got a pretty solid foundation, and hopefully has a lot of room to even improve further. As of now, I'd put it under the 90's show and Spectacular Spider-Man myself. But 3rd best is still very good!

Middle of the road.

It's nowhere near as good as the 90's animated series which is still the best Spider-Man cartoon ever made in my opinion.

It's better than the 60's, Amazing Friends, 80's show, Spider-Man Unlimited, the MTV show, and Ultimate.
    And the character designs are way better than Spectacular's.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    And the character designs are way better than Spectacular's.
    Eh...I'd say they've got similar design philosophy's (very stylized and cartoony) but visually Spec's designs looked a lot better in my opinion, but then again Spec had a better animation budget.

I'd also say I prefer most of Spec's designs to the current shows as well, especially for certain characters. Not that this show's are bad, but as far as visuals and adapting from the comics I think Spec was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd say it captures the feel of Spider-Man and his world more then Ultimate did for the most part, but definitely doesn't look as strong or as solid visually.

The writing and stories are also not on the level of Spectacular but are generally pretty solid and serviceable, as well as fun and enjoyable for the most part even if there are certain creative liberties I haven't been crazy about.

The voice cast is also pretty strong even if it feels like the material or the characterization of certain characters hampers the VA's performance to some degree.

Overall I think it's shaping up to be a solid Spider-Man cartoon and has a lot of potential .
    Yeah I'm with ya! Spec was great, and after researching it I found it was a victim of the Disney purchase of Marvel as to why it was cancelled after only two seasons. But I know that the 90s show is beloved by many, so I would prob put this 3rd in the overall list.

Watched a couple episodes, and I was disappointed. It seemed like just another one of Disney's formulaic drivel. If you're looking to watch some quality Spidey stuff, just watch the original series or Spectacular Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    Watched a couple episodes, and I was disappointed. It seemed like just another one of Disney's formulaic drivel. If you're looking to watch some quality Spidey stuff, just watch the original series or Spectacular Spider-Man.
    Ok, how the hell is this series formulaic? It's ok if you don't like it, but how the hell is this formulaic? I want to know.

Second. Being formulaic doesn't necessarily make something bad. If the formula works, then it works. Being formulaic isn't some automatic negative thing(which I don't think this series is anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Ok, how the hell is this series formulaic? It's ok if you don't like it, but how the hell is this formulaic? I want to know.
    It's formulaic in the sense that I can hardly differentiate it from any one of the Disney channel's other animated offerings. Peter is dumbed down for easy, kid-friendly consumption; his supporting cast follows a certain set of Disneyesque character stereotypes; the plotlines play out in a rather sitcomy way (with the Disney spin), etc. If it wasn't for the name, I'm not sure if I would be able to tell that it's a Spider-Man cartoon.

Second. Being formulaic doesn't necessarily make something bad. If the formula works, then it works. Being formulaic isn't some automatic negative thing(which I don't think this series is anyway).
    Obviously, the formula can be hit or miss. Two examples could be Kim Possible or Phineas & Ferb, with Kim Possible being amazing, and Phineas & Ferb being utter trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    It's formulaic in the sense that I can hardly differentiate it from any one of the Disney channel's other animated offerings. Peter is dumbed down for easy, kid-friendly consumption; his supporting cast follows a certain set of Disneyesque character stereotypes; the plotlines play out in a rather sitcomy way (with the Disney spin), etc. If it wasn't for the name, I'm not sure if I would be able to tell that it's a Spider-Man cartoon.
    No offence, but you're it feels like you're not even watching the show properly. The show has it's fair share of problems, but in now way it looks like just another of Disney animated shows. And Peter is not dumbed down. This might not be the version you prefer, and that's ok. I'm not even saying it's perfect or anything, but that doesn't mean it's dumbed down.

Obviously, the formula can be hit or miss. Two examples could be Kim Possible or Phineas & Ferb, with Kim Possible being amazing, and Phineas & Ferb being utter trash.
    Eh, Phineas & Ferb was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    No offence, but you're it feels like you're not even watching the show properly.
    If I have to watch a show in a certain state of mind to enjoy it, perhaps I shouldn't be watching it in the first place. It's simply not my taste, and it seems a rather large portion of viewers aren't exactly "enthralled" by it either.

If it's following any kind of formula, it's the CW Flash formula where most of the supporting cast is made up of people who will end up putting Superhero costumes on and the main hero needs his supporting cast to bail him out of trouble almost 80% of the time .

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Eh...I'd say they've got similar design philosophy's (very stylized and cartoony) but visually Spec's designs looked a lot better in my opinion, but then again Spec had a better animation budget.

I'd also say I prefer most of Spec's designs to the current shows as well, especially for certain characters. Not that this show's are bad, but as far as visuals and adapting from the comics I think Spec was better.
    Did Spec have a better animation budget? I thought this cartoon was like Ultimate in terms of budget...you know, Disney money. I will say that I preferred Spec's character designs more as well...But then again, I liked a good chunk of TNBA's designs over BTAS. I like cartoony and exaggerated features...It definitely makes the characters and the show look unique and it's own thing rather than an extension of Avengers Assemble or something.. But I'm weird like that, so eh?

Eh it is what it is, I'd say it does it's job as an entry level to introduce for kids...but it definitely reminds me that I am out of the age demographic haha. I was an adult when Spec came out and still enjoy it. I was a child when the 94, animated series and can still find the better episodes enjoyable, the bad episodes can burn for all I care (and before you get your pitchforks, I say the same about my beloved Batman the Animated Series with episodes like "I've got Batman in My Basement"). I watched the first few episodes as normally that's how long it takes new cartoons to find their footing, but I lost interest after a few. While it's not Ultimate levels of "Kids are stupid! they'll watch anything", there is still some moments (like with al good chunk of villains so far coming from a high school, and how said high school has YET to be shut down with all of those incidents)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Did Spec have a better animation budget? I thought this cartoon was like Ultimate in terms of budget...you know, Disney money. I will say that I preferred Spec's character designs more as well...But then again, I liked a good chunk of TNBA's designs over BTAS. I like cartoony and exaggerated features...It definitely makes the characters and the show look unique and it's own thing rather than an extension of Avengers Assemble or something.. But I'm weird like that, so eh?
    Spec was pretty much Sony-funded, if I recall correctly, and Ultimate was animated by Film Roman.

For some reason all of Marvel's in-house cartoons just look kind of bare-bones or cheap compared to past cartoons or other shows going on right now.