Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Do people still like Batman?

With all of the complaints about the supposed "Bat-god", it got me wondering about how people really feel about the Batman. It really seems that a lot of people have been turned off the character since Tower of Babel. So, are there still some people who genuinely like Batman? Or, has the legend of the Bat-god turned you off completely?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

As with many of DC's major characters, it all comes down to which version we are talking about. Batman the icon, and specific versions like B:TAS, Silver/Bronze age, Burton and even Adam West, are things I have always loved and will always love. Batgod/Batjerk are takes I despise, or at least the former becomes so when not written well. Morrison often gets misblamed for it, but he wrote Batman as highly competent without short changing everyone else. Tower of Babel is where things started to get ridiculous, and that's all on Waid. But even if Batgod and the over saturation of Bat-crap is aggravating, that doesn't mean I will stop liking the character. That seems to be a silly way to respond to that. I'm not going to stop loving my favorite Batman related media just because DC has gone overboard with shilling him. I'm more likely to just be "he sucks the way he's written now, I'm taking a break. Come get me when they've toned it down."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Batgod/Batjerk are takes I despise, or at least the former becomes so when not written well. Morrison often gets misblamed for it, but he wrote Batman as highly competent without short changing everyone else.
    This. "Batgod" was amazing during Grant's JLA run, he just wrote Batman as the most dangerous human on Earth but not at the expense of everyone else. The entire team was awesome. He was written to be an equal to the other Leaguers, not his superior.

I love Batman and I always will, I'm just tired he always gets the great stories, all the attention at the expense of others. But it seems that people generally like it.

"Batgod" doesn't bother me a bit. I even find it an almost necessary suspension of disbelief. Without it, it's hard to see how he hangs with the JL(A) in space and stuff.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

As much as I hate Batman, (I think he's a tired boring character with no new stories left in him), I don't the majority of comic readers and people in general, will ever stop liking Batman. His comic is always going to sell better than any one else's.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 10-29-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Of course they do, he's still DC's most popular character. Those like me who are annoyed with his oversaturation to the point of starting to dislike him, is obviously a minority. I wish to crap it wasn't, but it is.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

My Answer is Yes... As long as it's not King's Batman... Or George Clooney... But in all seriousness I am growing tired of his Oversaturation to the point that I have to take a break and read other solo series between Bat-Books

Better for BATMAN topics than DC comics, no?

I donīt like the current Tom King Batman, but I like Detective Comics Batman..

With these 2 comics, Justice League and trinity, should be enough.. I like Batman but... Not like years ago, maybe King fault or I replaced him for his son Damian..

I will change the batman series(except Detective, Batman(without King) and Justice League(Priest will be soon here)) only for the chance of return with Robin:Son of Batman, or sacrifice both Damian series for return with that serie and his characters.
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-30-2017 at 02:23 AM.

Still like the character, but hate the way DC's been handling him (especially under Rebirth).
    I don't plan on buying any books Batman headlines until they get a writer I can tolerate handling him.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Still like the character, but hate the way DC's been handling him (especially under Rebirth).
    I don't plan on buying any books Batman headlines until they get a writer I can tolerate handling him.
    I agree: The Only Batman Book I liked was All Star and that's over now... At least Metal's still good, but I'm only reading Tec because of the legacy numbering and felt it would be sacrelige to drop Batman, even though I hate King's run... Aside from Kite-Man... Kite-Man's always good

I've loved reading Batman since 1986...then Scott Snyder happened and I had to take a vacation for a few years. Now we're back on course and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

What about Trinity?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    What about Trinity?
    Better than all the others but I still... It's the only monthly title I'm considering dropping after the current arc... maybe I'll stick around though with the creative team changing

Well, they obviously do since he is the most selling DC character.

I understand why he appeals to many fans and writers and I also understand why DC foucs so much on him and I don't mind it. I used to dislike him myself, but now I like him after I read his old stories from the 80s. His modern writers though are hit and miss with more misses unfortunately.

Amazing Member

He is still popular sales wise, but personally, i haven't enjoyed anything Batman since the court of owls.