Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Of course people still like him. He wouldn’t be the best selling comic or among them each month if people didn’t
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    "Batgod" doesn't bother me a bit. I even find it an almost necessary suspension of disbelief. Without it, it's hard to see how he hangs with the JL(A) in space and stuff.
    Don’t you find Batman does tend to “unbalance” modern JLA stories a bit?

I’m not sure if that’s right phrase...but I mean things like having to constantly write the other heroes as substantially thicker than they ought to be, while at same time constantly showing Batman as having super human resilience.

It’s not terrible by any means...but I don’t find the ramped up super hero stories half as good as those stories when Bruce and Alfred work together to take down fairly low powered foes.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 10-29-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    "Batgod" doesn't bother me a bit. I even find it an almost necessary suspension of disbelief. Without it, it's hard to see how he hangs with the JL(A) in space and stuff.
    But it only really works if you have everyone else be at the top of their game too. It makes Batman standing with them all the more impressive. He is part of the team and needs to contribute significantly in the God tier-level stories JL arcs should be, but the rest of the League shouldn't be made to look like morons in the process. It ends up having the opposite effect of making him look like the invincible overpowered one, and that defeats the appeal of the character.

Basically, Morrison Batgod = Good; and something like Snyder Batgod (in Endgame) = Godawful.

BANNED

Well as time goes more and more people are starting to get tired of Batman; mainly a mix of over saturation by DC and fanboys hyping him up to ridiculous levels. So it's not surprising when I see someone on youtube, twitter or reddit every now and then expressing that they're bored of the character and everything related to him.

I like batman, and still do.

Incredible Member

I love Batman, but I HATE how Tom King writes him. I've dropped the title after this last crappy arc. I'll come back when a new creative team comes on board. Until then, there's always the old stories to read. I do prefer the stories were he is dealing with the lower level criminals and not super powered villians though.

He still is my fourth favorite character in comics. Behind Superman, Lois Lane and Squirrel Girl. But its a step down from the Dark Knight Rises days when he was my favorite. I love him a lot. But there is something like too much. For example i am not watching Gotham. One can only take in that much. He is around so much that i do not feel excited for him. I am reading Batman, 'Tec and JL. And that's it. I have no interest in anything else. Even the Affleck movie does not excite me. But that's more due to the hit and miss nature of DCEU.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 10-29-2017 at 07:00 PM.

Love the guy who has to consider Oswald Cobblepot as a legitimate menace, aka the real Bruce Wayne.

Hate the guy who is plot-armor at the direct expense of the Justice League, aka Bat-Mite masquerading as Bruce Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    As much as I hate Batman, (I think he's a tired boring character with no new stories left in him), I don't the majority of comic readers and people in general, will ever stop liking Batman. His comic is always going to sell better than any one else's.
    This is why I find Tom King's run so delicious. It takes pains to show us sides of the character we've never seen before, by having fun and by going deep. His run has been pretty much all new stories, taking turns the character's never even been allowed to take in the past but that are in perfect keeping with further exploration of who he essentially is. It's a bit of a slow burn. It doesn't really get going until I Am Suicide and once that happens each story is progressively better until The War of Jokes and Riddles which I fully believe will be a classic. As does this writer...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/...nstant-classic

It's not for everyone but for the ones it's for, holy wow. It's my favorite run literally ever.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 10-29-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    What about Trinity?
    IMO really disappointing. Just dull. Started out okay but slipped off badly soon after.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

I love Batman but the lack of realistic editorial decisions for the character who is supposedly the most realistic has gone on for long enough.

Nope, DC has made sure that I hate him now.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I like his supporting cast more, but he’s cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    I love Batman but the lack of realistic editorial decisions for the character who is supposedly the most realistic has gone on for long enough.
    Apart from a few scenes where he took out way too many guys alone on Santa Prisca (IIRC) while we read his internal monologue, a letter, I think King's run has been pretty down to earth. And the too many guys were, to me, just symbolic of the fact that he's such a great fighter he can take on way too many guys. It could have been 20 or 100 to me. I didn't notice the difference. I think the important thing was that they kept coming and he kept fighting them off. And I was primarily paying attention to what he was thinking/writing. But the endless stream of guys he defeated while composing the letter felt symbolic to me of the fact that he's chosen a life of unending battle, just as he questions that decision.

And when in all these years have we seen him seriously question that decision? This is new territory, through and through. And, if you've read The Button, you know it's motivated by something that never could have been possible before but something that would truly shake Bruce Wayne well enough to make him question it. If you know what happened there, what other motivation could be as strong to make him question the course of his life? This is maybe what makes King's run so special to me. We ARE seeing new stories for Batman, we're seeing him going in directions he never could have before, we're seeing the opposite of Batgod/Batjerk. We're seeing the man underneath it all. (Even if I agree that the "Bat/Cat" stuff is a little too cutesy. A small complaint!)

But I think the Santa Prisca fight (in which the action is WAY secondary to the narration) is the only part of King's run where he's overly powered up or has any sort of Batgod thing going on. And IIRC he's not "Batjerk" in this run either. If anything King has him at his most vulnerable maybe ever. Another reason it's the comic I most look forward to and the one modern title I read over and over and over again.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 10-29-2017 at 09:31 PM.

I liked Batman in the '80s.
    I lost interest in him around Knightfall.

He just hasn't felt like the same character to me since then.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.