Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Sucks to be a House of Cards fan. Not only are they never going to get their final season, but Netflix will probably take down the whole series permanently and try to pretend it never existed.

I think they should blame it all on Keyser Soze.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Sucks to be a House of Cards fan. Not only are they never going to get their final season, but Netflix will probably take down the whole series permanently and try to pretend it never existed.

I think they should blame it all on Keyser Soze.
    They aren't doing that. That'd be stupid. It's not like they haven't had Polanski movies on there before, or the Jeepers Creepers movies, or anything with Klaus Kinski (if what his daughter said a few years back is to be believed) in it. It's not like the movies and shows did something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    They aren't doing that. That'd be stupid. It's not like they haven't had Polanski movies on there before, or the Jeepers Creepers movies, or anything with Klaus Kinski (if what his daughter said a few years back is to be believed) in it. It's not like the movies and shows did something wrong.
    Kevin Spacey is the subject of a major, current sexual abuse scandal. If it had been a single incident, maybe they'd try to sweep it under the carpet and hope people forgot it quickly... but this is a big deal and it would be a PR disaster for Netflix to continue offering the show. Maybe years from now, depending on how the case turns out... but not now. And they're certainly not going to make another season with him.

I've done the intakes for an employment law firm for 13 years, so I wouldn't be exaggerating to say I hear of new sexual harassment cases on an almost daily basis. Ninety percent of them are men harassing women, five percent are men harassing other men, two percent are women harassing women, one percent are women harassing men and two percent are people who harass both genders.

The three potential cases involving prominent men in Hollywood (including a director, a pop star and his husband, and the lead singer of a band) were all male against male harassment.

BANNED

Kevin Spacey is the subject of a major, current sexual abuse scandal. If it had been a single incident, maybe they'd try to sweep it under the carpet and hope people forgot it quickly... but this is a big deal and it would be a PR disaster for Netflix to continue offering the show. Maybe years from now, depending on how the case turns out... but not now. And they're certainly not going to make another season with him.
    Keeping stuff up that people choose to watch or not watch of their own free will isn't really sweeping it under the rug. The nature of Netflix means people can just not watch House of Cards or whatever other Kevin Spacey stuff they have up at this time. It's not like normal tv where these things are occupying a time slot and if you don't want to see the thing with him in it you have to change the channel to something else.

The idea is just totally stupid. They weren't taking stuff with Harvey Weinstein's name down, in fact they added some.

Harvey Weinstein's face isn't looking out at you from the screen when you watch a movie he produced.

PR is based on emotions, not logic.

Holy crap, here's a lengthy Q&A with one of Spacey's victims, when Spacey was 25 and the victim was 14 back in 1983. He's chosen to remain anonymous but the magazine verified several locations and timeline, and the interviewee cites actual names who were important factors in getting away from him.

If anything, the Q&A really sheds light on what goes on through a young teen's mind when they're in that situation, especially with someone they greatly admire. It really goes to show that, because of inherent power dynamics between children and adults, consent can be manipulated and statutory rape is still rape nonetheless. And even then, there's still full blown attempted rape at the end of their relationship.

That Spacey checked himself to get help shows that even if he didn't remember the situation with Rapp, that Spacey himself believed there was capacity to do so at that moment; and as more men from House of Cards and further back in Spacey's past come out, there is increasing credence to Rapp's story.

BANNED

Harvey Weinstein's face isn't looking out at you from the screen when you watch a movie he produced.

PR is based on emotions, not logic.
    His name is. His name is probably the only thing most people probably know about him if they even know anything about him. ****, his name is in the company logo.

Who gives a **** if Spacey's face is on screen? If someone does not want to watch Kevin Spacey in something, they can easily just not watch the thing with Kevin Spacey in it. Not watching the thing and the thing not being there to watch is the same state for those that don't want to watch...which is a state of unwatchedness.

There are probably more people that want to watch House of Cards than there are people that would cancel their Netflix subscription for simply having House of Cards on there. Removing everything with him in it would be a stupid move that wouldn't make any sense at all. It'd be a worse move than some stupid grandstanding about how they were taking a show down so people that have the choose to not watch it don't watch it. It's also an extremely stupid message to send out. They take Kevin Spacey stuff down what comes down or never comes there next? Are documentary about shitty people off the table now because someone may be triggered or something? I mean, if Netflix was like a normal tv channel I could see it being taken out of rotation and something filling its slot, but Netflix isn't TV, and House of Cards isn't filling a time slot that people can tune out of for an hour.

You would last about 30 seconds in the PR business.

Yes, Netflix will lose a lot of money if they take down House of Cards. Lots of people would still watch it despite the scandal. But the bad press of leaving it up there, promoting it, making money for Kevin Spacey, would far outweigh that profit. You'd get boycotts, you'd get the CEO hounded by reporters and protesters... just way more trouble than the show is worth.

There's a reason you don't see much of the Cosby Show in syndication nowadays despite it being the most popular sitcom of the 80's.

No, it's not fair to the innocent people who worked on the show, and it's certainly not fair to the fans. I personally would just as soon see the show stay available, even though I've never had any interest in watching it. But there's certainly no way they're going to make the planned final season. Try and find actors, directors and crew that would be willing to work with Spacey right now.

Astonishing Member

No, it's not fair to the innocent people who worked on the show, and it's certainly not fair to the fans. I personally would just as soon see the show stay available, even though I've never had any interest in watching it. But there's certainly no way they're going to make the planned final season. Try and find actors, directors and crew that would be willing to work with Spacey right now.

Could they always write Spacey out for the last season and just focus on Claire? I mean it's not ideal but they can finish all of the other sub-plots. She could definitely carry the show on her own.

BANNED

You would last about 30 seconds in the PR business.
    I think I'd probably do better in PR than you. You seemingly want to make money losing moves before anyone even calls to make them. It's like preeminently bending over. Sure, some people might applaud you for it, but nobodies really asked you for it yet either.
    Yes, Netflix will lose a lot of money if they take down House of Cards. Lots of people would still watch it despite the scandal. But the bad press of leaving it up there, promoting it, making money for Kevin Spacey, would far outweigh that profit. You'd get boycotts, you'd get the CEO hounded by reporters and protesters... just way more trouble than the show is worth.
    No, there aren't enough people that would boycott Netflix for that to hurt them more than removing the show altogether would. People have Netflix to watch that show. People don't have Netflix to take stands on subjects, and those that would likely do that kind of thing probably did it a long time ago when some other person that did a thing they don't like showed up on Netflix. Midnight in Paris probably already cleared them before this even started.

Reporter aren't going to be hounded the CEO of Netflix about why they haven't removed a show. They weren't even calling for the show to stop. So far I've yet to see them hounding anyone about having Weinstein and Miramax movies. Does someone have Lord of the Rings? I believe Harvey makes money off those movies too because of the deal he made...guess it should go out of print. Reporters do that and we can all have a nice big conversations about how stupid those reporters would look given they only choice now to make this a conversation when these kinds of services or movies networks show movies with or from artist that some people might find objectionable. And how long should these companies feign caring about such a thing? Or should Netflix also never have Chinatown again? And going back to what I said earlier, should DVDs and Blu-rays of these peoples movies and shows also not be produced and on shelfs anymore? I mean, what if people stop going to Walmart or someplace because they've got House of Cards dvds on the shelf?

There's a reason you don't see much of the Cosby Show in syndication nowadays despite it being the most popular sitcom of the 80's.

Netflix is not syndication, as I've said more than once already. House of Cards is not filling a time slot in a networks schedule. These things are not equivalent in any way whatsoever. And who the **** was still running The Cosby Show right before that time, like basically just Nick at Nite and Bounce? Because I was still seeing it on Bounce during that time period. So that is like, one of the two channels that had the show dropped if? And I was seeing Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, The Bill Cosby Show, and I Spy during that time. If House of Cards was taking up a time slot I could totally understand pulling it, but Netflix doesn't have time slots, and adults can choice to not select a show if they don't wish to watch it.

Spacey hasn't been charged with anything, and it's unknown if anything said about him is even true. I'm going to guess people would still work with him. People still work with people accused of things all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Could they always write Spacey out for the last season and just focus on Claire? I mean it's not ideal but they can finish all of the other sub-plots. She could definitely carry the show on her own.
    Spacey is a producer on the show, irrc.

Mighty Member

He was in NAMBLA or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    Isnt fat albert still on netflix? The movie not the original show

So will Netflix release the (currently) unfinished Season 6 of HOUSE OF CARDS next year?

Or is this scandal the swift and immediate death of the show?

Have we seen already seen the final episode that will ever "air"?