Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Yes. Messiah Complex and Second Comming are great. Probably the last time I truely enjoyed the X-books. Messiah War sucks, though.

Peace

THE NEW X-MEN SQUAD 924COLLECTIVE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Yes. Messiah Complex and Second Coming are great. Probably the last time I truely enjoyed the X-books. Messiah War sucks, though.

Peace
    Messiah War was the stop-over / mid-point in the saga. That part of the movie where you take the restroom break.
    924COLLECTIVE IS GETTING THE NEW X-MEN SQUAD BACK TOGETHER: ANOLE, DUST, ELIXIR, GENTLE, HELLION, PIXIE, PRODIGY, SURGE, THE STEPFORD CUCKOOS , & X-23.

Yes. Messiah Complex and Second Comming are great. Probably the last time I truely enjoyed the X-books. Messiah War sucks, though.

Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by 924COLLECTIVE View Post
    Messiah War was the stop-over / mid-point in the saga. That part of the movie where you take the restroom break.
    Except for the fact that it was good.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Except for the fact that it was good.
    I will have to go back and check it out again. I remember Kiden Nixon being used in a rather diabolical way.
    924COLLECTIVE IS GETTING THE NEW X-MEN SQUAD BACK TOGETHER: ANOLE, DUST, ELIXIR, GENTLE, HELLION, PIXIE, PRODIGY, SURGE, THE STEPFORD CUCKOOS , & X-23.

Love the whole trilogy. Really good stuff.

Since Laura was one of the first young people Hope got to meet/ bond with I always thought
    that makes for an interesting friend dynamic considering they both have so much in common.

Peace
    I kinda find that Compex and Coming collapse under their own weight, with all the stuff they need to do and all the random series that must tie into it. There's also the little problem that the idea of Hope being the "messiah" is never given an explanation of how that works, much less why her being around undoes Scarlet Witch's "no more mutants" spell. Not bad ideas on paper, but the execution is boated, has too many ending and subplots, and lacks focus or a significant through line (yeah, it's ostensibly "kill/save the mutant messiah," but what the mutant messiah is is never established, making it a meaningless plot device).

On paper, War should never have been made in the first place; it doesn't advance the overall Messiah story at all (literally, X-Force and Cable just resume what they doing narrative-wise after it's over) and is pretty thin in terms of plot. However, I think that it's arguably the Messiah chapter that works the best; having only two series involved streamlines the narrative, allowing it to actually tell its story without being cluttered by the fat that forcing unrelated series into it just because it's an X-Men event that the other events suffered from. Also, unlike the other ones, the simpler story allowed the characterizations to shine through more (Cable and Hope feel like a family, Stryfe and Apocalypse play interesting roles as the antagonists, X-23 gets several good character moments, and Deadpool stole the show, etc.).

So, at the end of the day, I'd argue that despite being the one that doesn't belong, War is the only one that has reading value beyond "you need to to follow the overall X-Men story.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

No

/10char

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    There's also the little problem that the idea of Hope being the "messiah" is never given an explanation of how that works, much less why her being around undoes Scarlet Witch's "no more mutants" spell. Not bad ideas on paper, but the execution is boated, has too many ending and subplots, and lacks focus or a significant through line (yeah, it's ostensibly "kill/save the mutant messiah," but what the mutant messiah is is never established, making it a meaningless plot device).
    This failing, in your eyes, can be largely laid at the feet of Avengers vs X-Men. There was clearly supposed to be a big payoff for the X-Franchise with Hope and the Phoenix, as had been teased in the book for years, but they crammed the Avengers into the story, made the X-Men the villains and basically f*%&ed everything up.

Though I can still read AvX, you can't say that it wasn't a catastrophicly poor conclusion to the arc started in Messiah CompleX.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

It was the best line wide X-event of the 2000s IMO.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    This failing, in your eyes, can be largely laid at the feet of Avengers vs X-Men. There was clearly supposed to be a big payoff for the X-Franchise with Hope and the Phoenix, as had been teased in the book for years, but they crammed the Avengers into the story, made the X-Men the villains and basically f*%&ed everything up.

Though I can still read AvX, you can't say that it wasn't a catastrophicly poor conclusion to the arc started in Messiah CompleX.
    Yes, I feel like the cohesion that the X-Books had from Messiah Complex to Schism has been totally lost since that point.

There does not seem to any kind of chronological timeline of events taking place in the X-Universe since Secret Wars 2015 ended.
    I thought we would get something like that again after 'ResurrXion', but sadly no.

For that alone, Messiah Complex -> Cable / X-Force (Messiah War) -> Second Coming was good.

And as mentioned above AvX totally ruined all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post

Fair enough that Hope wasn't done yet, but if the through line of the "Messiah trilogy" was that "this new mutant is the messiah of mutantkind," they needed to explain what that meant in the story proper, not only shunt it off to the future.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member

Peter Davids my favorite comics writer, I like Carey and Brubakers X-work quite abit and Kyle and Yost are decent. I absolutely enjoyed this storyline. The young X-Men stuff was disposable and the final issue artist was not good, other than that it culminates many elements of the X-line exceptionally. One of my favorite X-Men storylines, following up one of my least favorite (House of M)