Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I don't see how this going to do Wonder Woman any good in the long run, especially now that it's an ongoing. I'm willing to bet that they will have another panel where Cheetah gets sucker punched again by some Gotham B-lister.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Your avatar is Superman, this point is failing to be made lol.
    Yeah? That's because I am one of the Superman fanbase around here. I'm a Superman fan AND a Wonder Woman fan and I don't want Diana getting overshadowed by Superman OR Batman.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Because "Mirror that movie she just had that made more money in a couple months than her book has likely made in its entire existence" is just too radical an idea?
    Wonder Woman has for the most part of her published existence proved worthwhile to DC, the movie doesn't change that, neither is it going to spark a huge influx in new WW readers because thats not how it works, unfortunately.

Exactly. Diana's hot right now. Hotter than she's ever been. When you're THAT hot, you should be able to stand on your own and not need to lean on Mr. I-Can't-Fail.
    And the Cynical Money says: "Here is Hot Stuff A... if we mix it with New Hot Stuff B, maybe we will make more money than either can alone?!"

"More Wonder Woman?" Heck yeah. "More Batman hogging the spotlight?" Not so much.
    You haven't seen if Batman will be hogging the spotlight yet.

Bat events WILL happen. And just like SM/WW, it will derail this book and make Diana participate in them. As second-fiddle to the almighty Batgod, of course.
    Has there been once since King took over? (Minus Metal... which is another Scott Snyder thing)

And now he has a literal speedster helping him "run around finding them." And once Diana finds them, the game should be over.
    Of course, that won't happen, as we all know. Riddler will trap her in some stupid trap that she can't get out of because "Wonder Woman is an idiot compared to Batman."
    Joker will hit her with Joker venom that will OF COURSE work perfectly on her semi-divine biology with no explanation given on how a gas that is tailored to work on regular humans also works perfectly on demigoddesses.
    Oh, and then there's that whole thing where Diana should be able to simply AVOID the gas with her super speed. But right! Superspeed! She'll TOTALLY remember she has that once she's in the presence of a Bat villain!
    You dont find them by going around lifting every trashcan or car, it's not hide and seek. And yes the game should be over... when either of them finds them, because Batman is physically so far above most of his adversaries they might as well just put their hands up if they see him in their doorway.
    If you write it intelligently, then the Riddler will indeed catch Diana in a trap and insult her intelligence (thats what he does), but like Batman it will only slow her down and only really pulled on her so the Riddler can make a run for it.
    Joker venom has a nasty habit of working on anything and everything. And if you dip into the WML writing, Diana actually managed to 'out-crazy' the Joker after she did a dance with Pan... door swings both ways.
    Rucka had Diana shot in the chest by a gimp with a gun, something she's usually virtually immune towards due to her reflexes.

He beat down Cheetah.
    And who says thats going to repeat itself?
    Look I know it's hard to give DC much credit with it's Cheetah trackrecord, but we can atleast try and hope they get wiser, cant we?

He won a freaking MAGIC DUEL against a freaking GODDESS OF WITCHCRAFT! In a (supposedly) Wonder Woman-centered event, no less!
    He snuck up behind her and muttered the countermagic spell while she was distracted... so thats kinda like saying Lee Harvey Oswald won a duel again John F Kennedy.

Oh! And he neutralized Diana herself with an anti-Laso of Truth that he bought on Ebay. Off camera, of course.
    Meanwhile Diana went along with what would have happened otherwise, bruce loosing an arm and bleeding out in the streets in a mangled pile that was his fancy Leaguebuster suit.

Right. I'm sure he keeps some moly in the pouch right next to the Bat Shark Repellent. Or the mystical amulet of King Tooten-Pooten. Or ya know, whatever other "I Win Because Batman" button happens to be handy.
    I was thinking more like mace, shock-batarangs or such other items that can be used anywhere against a wide variety of opponents that simply buys him time to get away or make an opening.

In the hands of a really good writer who is hellbent on showing respect to both characters and who is somehow able to keep Editorial at bay? Sure. It's possible.

Forgive me if I have my doubts.
    I forgive you. Now smile for Granny!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    More Wonder Woman? Yes. More Batman? We've already got more Batman than we know what to do with and it isn't as if the WW movie was successful because of his minor cameo in it. This also could have been an opportunity to reintegrate some of Diana's lost cast members like Donna, Cassie, Artemis or any of the numerous WW characters that have been created and discarded.
    Which doesn't seem to stop people from buying more, so evidently the market isn't oversaturated yet.
    And who knows, there were several cases of Batman/Superman books getting replaced with their portegé's for an issue or two.

Incredible Member

In regards to the point about villains.The issues is simply lack of trust.Can't really blame people for expecting DC to
    job out her villains to batman if that's what they' he consistently done in the past.

Yes can be done well but if people have no reason to believe that its going to be done well based on past experience,passing on the book is a good idea.At least until the writers prove them wrong (assuming that they do.)
    Last edited by Baseman; 10-31-2017 at 06:00 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    In regards to the point about villains.The issues is simply lack of trust.Can't really blame people for expecting DC to
    job out her villains to batman if that's what they' he consistently done in the past.

Yes can be done well but if people have no reason to believe that its going to be done well based on past experience,passing on the book is a good idea.At least until the writers prove them wrong (assuming that they do.)
    So with that kind of attitude, why are they reading Wonder Woman when chances are good it's just going to irritate or upset them?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    So with that kind of attitude, why are they reading Wonder Woman when chances are good it's just going to irritate or upset them?
    The main title is different since dropping that means dropping the character altogether. Which fans will not do unless DC does something unbelievably stupid.

If there is absolutely no ship pandering, i could give this a shot, the issue is that the Superwonder book is still fresh in the memories. And at this point, i think DC is just being petty with the SuperWonder fandom, altought they wanted their money for 4 years

It doesn't have to reflect negatively on Superman and Wonder Woman's friendship. She can be friends with anyone they want her to be friends with, and hang out with as many characters as they want to hang out with. Just that very idea is no threat to a fan of Superman and Wonder Woman's dynamic. Bring on her showing up more often in the greater DCU, I'm all for that. But the thing is it feels like negative reflection, for quite a few reasons---what from this, a noted shying away of a reestablishment of the classic Clark/Diana dynamic elsewhere, and the Super Friends solicits in the Batman title--thus instead of just being good friends in their own right, it feels like they're replacing the friendship Diana shared with Superman post-Crisis. That's what's annoying. It doesn't feel like just giving Diana other friends, which of course is always welcome. It seems like a calculated move to outright replace Clark and their history as incredibly close. The motivation for that, again, I believe is movie synergy, which in of itself I loathe as a concept regardless the idea in question. So its irritating on more than one front for me. If I'm wrong on that I'll be incredibly relieved. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again tons of times, so I hope this is one of them. But I maintain for now that the tea leaves are suspicious for the above reasons.

Note that none of those fronts include "Diana hanging out with people not named Clark". So if people want to say I'm pitching a salty fit, which I certainly did yesterday, get right the reasons instead of just making up something.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-31-2017 at 01:05 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It doesn't have to reflect negatively on Superman and Wonder Woman's friendship. She can be friends with anyone they want her to be friends with, and hang out with as many characters as they want to hang out with. Just that very idea is no threat to a fan of Superman and Wonder Woman's dynamic. Bring on her showing up more often in the greater DCU, I'm all for that. But the thing is it feels like negative reflection, for quite a few reasons---what from this, a noted shying away of a reestablishment of the classic Clark/Diana dynamic elsewhere, and the Super Friends solicits in the Batman title--thus instead of just being good friends in their own right, they're replacing the friendship Diana shared with Superman post-Crisis. That's what's annoying. It doesn't feel like just giving Diana other friends, which of course is always welcome. It seems like a calculated move to outright replace Clark and their history as incredibly close. The motivation for that, again, I believe is movie synergy, which in of itself I loathe as a concept regardless the idea in question. So its irritating on more than one front for me. If I'm wrong on that I'll be incredibly relieved. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again tons of times, so I hope this is one of them. But I maintain for now that the tea leaves are suspicious for the above reasons.

Note that none of those fronts include "Diana hanging out with people not named Clark". So if people want to say I'm pitching a salty fit, which I certainly did yesterday, get right the reasons instead of just making up something.
    agree with all of this. A Bruce and Diana team book is not bad per se, but at this very moment, i dont trust DC so much, they have a tendency to do something and later over compensate in the opposite direction

Who wants to bet nerd-cred that this upcoming team -up title will interfere with any Diana x Steve ship in favor of Diana fangirling over Bruce a la DCAU?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Probably it's just a limited series and not an ongoing as reported by BC...

https://twitter.com/LiamRSharp/statu...10550821011456
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 10-31-2017 at 01:13 PM.

If it's just a limited series it gives me some hope that it'll will just play on the friends angle, and leave out any romantic undertones. Hell with any luck maybe it sets up a DC event centered around WW. In which case I'd have to admit maybe there'd be some wisdom in using the cheap method of a springboard with the Batman inclusion. I just so fear a character arc for Diana of bringing back that Blackest Night bullshit and having her having to "come to terms" with Bruce getting married. Please none of that. As while even something with that wouldn't lead to anything, because they seem (rightfully), all in on Bruce/Selina, it would really hurt Diana and Steve going forward.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-31-2017 at 01:25 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

That ought to assuage some concerns about it. And simply make it a bonding series for Bruce and Diana to become friends again.

Also of note; not long ago, there was a crossover series with Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77 (Adam West and Linda Carter versions). No romantic undertones at all. What it did, was establish a friendship between them. And not a bad read if you ever watched those shows.
    Last edited by Jackalope89; 10-31-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

Good if true. A limited series is much more likely to give both characters their due. It's a single story, with a beginning, a middle, and an end, built around these two characters. So unless the writer REALLY just wants Diana in this story as a prop for Batman, then that should mean Diana will be an important component of the story instead.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    That ought to assuage some concerns about it. And simply make it a bonding series for Bruce and Diana to become friends again.

Also of note; not long ago, there was a crossover series with Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77 (Adam West and Linda Carter versions). No romantic undertones at all. What it did, was establish a friendship between them. And not a bad read if you ever watched those shows.
    If its anything like that I'd be just fine. I still won't get it, but I'll be content that Diana isn't being written poorly. And would be more than willing to own up to jumping to conclusions. I'll love nothing more than the opportunity to eat crow.