Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Poor Tom Jones
    At least he was on The Simpsons back in its heyday.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Mary Jane is supposed to be very attractive. It's the use of "sex bomb" that I question. What does that even mean?
    Google defines 'sex bomb' as 'a woman who is very sexually attractive.'
    I would agree with that, and say that she would be someone who makes the most of her figure- clothes that show it off and is often dolled up.

Pin ups through the ages were often labelled as sex bombs, .......1950's Bettie Page, 1960's Jane Fonda, 1970's Raquel Welsh, 1980's Cindy Crawford, 1990's Pamela Anderson, Noughties J-Lo..... these days? that model who's always half naked erm....... Emily Ratajkowski.
    Although if you wanna argue the point the term was probably not created until the 90's, you get what I mean.

It looks like Insomniac are intentionally doing something different with MJ in this game.
    It doesn't look like MJ personality or fashion wise, although the likeness is fine.
    I didn't like the Ultimate line until they got to Miles, I'm more of a purist.
    Last edited by Dangerous; 10-31-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Fun fact- John Ring-A-Ding Romita based MJ on Ann Margret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2iBX_wGbkU

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
    Google defines 'sex bomb' as 'a woman who is very sexually attractive.'
    I would agree with that, and say that she would be someone who makes the most of her figure- clothes that show it off and is often dolled up.

Pin ups through the ages were often labelled as sex bombs, .......1950's Bettie Page, 1960's Jane Fonda, 1970's Raquel Welsh, 1980's Cindy Crawford, 1990's Pamela Anderson, Noughties J-Lo..... these days? that model who's always half naked erm....... Emily Ratajkowski.
    Although if you wanna argue the point the term was probably not created until the 90's, you get what I mean.

It looks like Insomniac are intentionally doing something different with MJ in this game.
    It doesn't look like MJ personality or fashion wise, although the likeness is fine.
    I didn't like the Ultimate line until they got to Miles, I'm more of a purist.
    I don't really have a problem with this game's MJ being inspired by Ultimate Spider-Man. It's not like she's the only part of USM that Insomniac took inspiration from USM for (Aunt May and Miles Morales).

I'm almost surprised Marvel allowed Insomniac to use MJ. Given that they've treated her as if she were the comic book personification of the plague and allowed the writer of Iron Man to scoop her up as Tony Stark's new PA.

BANNED

I'm almost surprised Marvel allowed Insomniac to use MJ. Given that they've treated her as if she were the comic book personification of the plague and allowed the writer of Iron Man to scoop her up as Tony Stark's new PA.
    Marvel outside of the main universe has had no problem letting people utilize Mary Jane as a wife, confidante, and even crime fighting partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Marvel outside of the main universe has had no problem letting people utilize Mary Jane as a wife, confidante, and even crime fighting partner.
    It's just odd. Marvel's gone out of their way to lower MJ's prominence within the franchise. But sales for this game could end up being more than 100x greater than a regular issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

I don't really have a problem with this game's MJ being inspired by Ultimate Spider-Man. It's not like she's the only part of USM that Insomniac took inspiration from USM for (Aunt May and Miles Morales).
    I don't have a problem with it per say. It would have been way cooler if they went with the 616 style MJ but I'm still hyped a version of MJ is in this game considering, as you note, MJ has been relegated to an occasional background character in ASM. And at-least she actually looks like 'MJ' which is more than can be said about the Homecoming debacle.

I don't have a problem with it per say. It would have been way cooler if they went with the 616 style MJ but I'm still hyped a version of MJ is in this game considering, as you note, MJ has been relegated to an occasional background character in ASM. And at-least she actually looks like 'MJ' which is more than can be said about the Homecoming debacle.
    I don't have a problem with the casting in the slightest. I just hate "She's MJ but not Mary Jane."

It's like the "Robin" thing in Nolan's Dark Knight Rises. It's a cutesy nod to the more hardcore fans. Doesn't get why the hardcore fans liked these characters in the first place. They're treated as so far outside of what makes these franchises work that they are written off as if they were some kind of embarrassment.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 10-31-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Although if you wanna argue the point the term was probably not created until the 90's, you get what I mean. .
    "Bombshell" has been around since WWII, which is what "sex bomb" seems to be a variation on.

BANNED

So thus far in terms of characters in the game we have:

• Peter Parker/Spider-Man
    • MJ Watson
    • Aunt May
    • Miles Morales
    • Wilson Fisk/Kingpin
    • Martin Li/Mister Negative
    • Norman Osborn
    • Yuri Watanabe
    • Harry Osborn? (from the photo in the trailer)
    • Herman Schultz/Shocker

Which five characters from the MU would you most like to show up in the game? For me it's
    1. Flash Thompson
    2. J.Jonah Jameson
    3. Cindy Moon/Silk (DLC character perhaps?)
    4. Quentin Beck/Mysterio
    5. Janice Lincoln/Beetle

My gut tells me this has also been done to move away from the supermodel/party girl/sex bomb 616 version because the dolts who are making this game probably view classic MJ as somehow sexist.
    I think it's an homage to Ultimate Spider-Man. Although the comics themselves have moved away from "sex bomb" (what does that even mean?).
    It is worth noting that we've only seen a few clips, which would hardly show the full spectrum of the character.

It could also be, as noted before, that the game takes more from the Ultimate comics or maybe the Raimi movies, which did have a less extroverted MJ. Given that those two were my gateways to the franchise, I actually tend to prefer them to the 616 comics. (Also, it did seem like the adult, 616 Mrs. Parker MJ was more reserved than her teenage self was, for whatever reason.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I see more Sally Field in Aunt May then I do Ultimate Aunt May. At least the latter had grey hair (ironically it seems like Uncle Ben was still grey in this continuity...and had a goatee).

I was more willing to believe the "leak" that Gwen would be the love interest because I have so very little confidence in Mary Jane being used in something Spider-related at this point.
    I don't have a problem with the casting in the slightest. I just hate "She's MJ but not Mary Jane."

It's like the "Robin" thing in Nolan's Dark Knight Rises. It's a cutesy nod to the more hardcore fans. Doesn't get why the hardcore fans liked these characters in the first place. They're treated as so far outside of what makes these franchises work that they are written off as if they were some kind of embarrassment.
    Conversely then we would probably have complained about how "in-name-only" their version of Mary Jane was if they had just called her Mary Jane, even compared to the changes made to the rest of the supporting cast .
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    So thus far in terms of characters in the game we have:

• Peter Parker/Spider-Man
    • MJ Watson
    • Aunt May
    • Miles Morales
    • Wilson Fisk/Kingpin
    • Martin Li/Mister Negative
    • Norman Osborn
    • Yuri Watanabe
    • Harry Osborn? (from the photo in the trailer)
    • Herman Schultz/Shocker

Which five characters from the MU would you most like to show up in the game? For me it's
    1. Flash Thompson
    2. J.Jonah Jameson
    3. Cindy Moon/Silk (DLC character perhaps?)
    4. Quentin Beck/Mysterio
    5. Janice Lincoln/Beetle
    I hope we see the Bugle staff in the game, especially if MJ is working there.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    It is worth noting that we've only seen a few clips, which would hardly show the full spectrum of the character.

It could also be, as noted before, that the game takes more from the Ultimate comics or maybe the Raimi movies, which did have a less extroverted MJ. Given that those two were my gateways to the franchise, I actually tend to prefer them to the 616 comics. (Also, it did seem like the adult, 616 Mrs. Parker MJ was more reserved than her teenage self was, for whatever reason.)
    I definitely expect she's going to be much more like 616 MJ then Raimi's version was (if only in terms of how she supports Peter, matches his wit, and is much more of a go-getter).

Adult MJ was a little more subdued then her college self, but not by much (especially fashion-wise).

Fun fact- John Ring-A-Ding Romita based MJ on Ann Margret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2iBX_wGbkU
    The Viva Las Vegas clip was great.

"I'd like you to check my motor. It whistles."
    "I can't blame it."
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The last "new" Spider-Man game I played was the one for PS1/DC. That was ages ago when it had just came out.

Looking forward to this one.

Mighty Member

I really hope they don't do what most Spider-Man games do and try to have Spidey fight as many villains as possible in the main story. It'd be cool if they took a page from the Arkham games and had villains that are dealt with in side missions.

My gut tells me this has also been done to move away from the supermodel/party girl/sex bomb 616 version because the dolts who are making this game probably view classic MJ as somehow sexist.
    Ironically, that kind of attitude is also closed-minded and regressive as well. One of the biggest appeals to MJ is that she's all that you mentioned and far more, and it misses the point when you try to make her Lois Lane/Iris West.

I guess I should be happy that MJ is being used somewhere, though.