Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RawrJoey View Post
    The amount of sexism in this thread is really, really disappointing.

Kudos to everyone fighting back against it.
    It's got nothing to do with sexism. Those against it would likely be reacting the same if it were Steve Rogers in a Thor costume. I would.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Semicyon View Post
    I am glad that there are professional writers in the world who can take a seemingly stupid premise and make an interesting story about it. I recall similar naysayers about Doc Ock as Spider-Man and the Young Avengers as kiddie versions of the real superheroes. They make threats to "boycott" Marvel, drop titles, etc. because they can't imagine this working out. They dismiss this as 1990s gimmicks, catering to PC feminists, etc. Thank goodness it's a good writer's job to share their own imagination with those whose own ability might need a kickstart. IT could be horrible but I personally have enjoyed Aaron's run on Thor, Scalped, and yes, most of Wolverine and the X-Men. For me, he's done good work as a storyteller and he's earned my trust to see this play out.
    Like buttoned.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Well, maybe they should have been put on an Avenger Book for awhile and build up to them getting a solo.

Can't throw a baby in the water and expect them to swim on their own.
    And while Sif and Val are hanging around the Avengers waiting to get popular enough to warrant solo book (and how long could THAT take?) people will no doubt STILL be complaining about Marvel's lack of female solo titles.

Clearly you can't please everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Imraith Nimphais View Post
    I don't agree but I do see your point...but then...no one (very few people) wanted to read Lady Sif and thus it was cancelled.
    I'm still depressed about that. Kat Immonen's JiM with Sif was just such a fun book.

I'm Drowning For You Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GDC3 View Post
    http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/...ticleID=147553

Drops on the 23rd. Walt Simonson's new ongoing, Ragnarok. The master returns.
    While I do think the "new" Thor will be interesting...THIS ^ is the only "Thor" I will be reading.
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    Why the hate for Jane?
    Because her entire existence centers around Thor. She has been shown consistently across media to have a passion for something only to throw it all out the window when Thor shows up (or doesn't.) In the period after Ragnarok, 616!Jane became a doctor, married, and had children. Thor was "dead" for years, but the second he showed up again, she dropped the latter two and went running to him in the hopes that... what? He'd take her back? He was already married to Sif by then. And we haven't heard anything about her kids since. She apparently dumped them with their dad to take up her old, exciting life of chasing the thunder D and hasn't even been back for visits. I don't know what about that sort of irresponsibility and selfishness I'm supposed to like. And I don't know how it could possibly make her worthy of Mjolnir. I'm not even going to get into MCU Jane as she isn't really relevant, but I have issues there too.

Quote Originally Posted by archivalMadness View Post
    What pray tell is that?
    For this new Thor to fail utterly and completely undermine the All-Mother's agenda. Which seems to be replacing the old, patriarchal Asgard with a matriarchal Asgardia. To show that the reversal of the status quo that so many feminists actually desire while preaching about gender equality is a bullshit notion. Then have Thor, the real Thor, and a respectable female companion (Sif, Val, his grand-daughters, Storm, idec as long as it isn't Jane) have to pick up the pieces and show what actual gender equality looks like.
    SHSO: Polite Earthen Despair

BANNED

Only time will tell if this is marvel pandering or if they actually have a story to tell with interesting characters.

BANNED

I feel somewhat bad for Marvel, they just cannot win. They give the power of Thor to a woman and get thrashed before enough information is even given about it. When and if the power of Thor is returned to him (which if the future stories of TGOT are any indication they will be), people, liking Thor or not will flame that they "fridged" a female character and didn't give her a shot.
    Personally, the diversity circle is feeling way too forced at the moment now. Will this be permanent, no. Will the change to Captain America be permanent, no...the current new guy will most likely die and then Sam Wilson will take over so this is a big Deus Ex. I applaud the changes, really I do, but it seems so messy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Marvel gave Sif a shot with the Barbara Kessel/Val Scihitti JiM featuring Sif.

It didn't sell.

Marvel gave Valkerie a shot with Bunn's Fearless Defender where she was a co-star of the book.

That didn't sell either.

At least with Fem Thor having the classic branding it'll will have more of a chance to sell than those other 2 books did.
    QFT. They've tried. Hopefully this will be successful enough that when 'original recipie' Thor returns this new Thor will get a moniker of her own like when Eric beacame Thunderstrike.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrebomb View Post
    Because her entire existence centers around Thor. She has been shown consistently across media to have a passion for something only to throw it all out the window when Thor shows up (or doesn't.) In the period after Ragnarok, 616!Jane became a doctor, married, and had children. Thor was "dead" for years, but the second he showed up again, she dropped the latter two and went running to him in the hopes that... what? He'd take her back? He was already married to Sif by then. And we haven't heard anything about her kids since. She apparently dumped them with their dad to take up her old, exciting life of chasing the thunder D and hasn't even been back for visits. I don't know what about that sort of irresponsibility and selfishness I'm supposed to like. And I don't know how it could possibly make her worthy of Mjolnir. I'm not even going to get into MCU Jane as she isn't really relevant, but I have issues there too.

For this new Thor to fail utterly and completely undermine the All-Mother's agenda. Which seems to be replacing the old, patriarchal Asgard with a matriarchal Asgardia. To show that the reversal of the status quo that so many feminists actually desire while preaching about gender equality is a bullshit notion. Then have Thor, the real Thor, and a respectable female companion (Sif, Val, his grand-daughters, Storm, idec as long as it isn't Jane) have to pick up the pieces and show what actual gender equality looks like.
    But you are a Sif fan? Jane hasn't been with Thor since the 70s. She carved her own niche in the marvel universe independent of him with Avengers. Read the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post
    It would be pretty weird if the New Thor was Jane Foster with the Don Blake, Thor setup.
    Wouldn't be the first tme for her, Jane had a similar setup with Lady Sif back in the Len Wein days.

Quote Originally Posted by Daymare View Post
    I feel somewhat bad for Marvel, they just cannot win. They give the power of Thor to a woman and get thrashed before enough information is even given about it. When and if the power of Thor is returned to him (which if the future stories of TGOT are any indication they will be), people, liking Thor or not will flame that they "fridged" a female character and didn't give her a shot.
    Personally, the diversity circle is feeling way too forced at the moment now. Will this be permanent, no. Will the change to Captain America be permanent, no...the current new guy will most likely die and then Sam Wilson will take over so this is a big Deus Ex. I applaud the changes, really I do, but it seems so messy right now.
    LOL. I don't feel bad for them. They walked right into it. If they wanted people to have more than a knee-jerk reaction, they would have given us enough information that we could form an opinion beyond that. Instead we got "So Thor is a woman, now. No, not that Thor. It's a different Thor. But still Thor!" Which just sounds completely nonsensical and is really bad marketing. I see what they're doing. They did it with Agent of Asgard, too. They want to drum up passion on both sides before revealing anything of note so that the supporters will buy it because "OMG it sounds amazing" and the detractors will buy it to see for themselves just how bad it is. And then maybe it will turn out not to be awful. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Also, they should have known damned well that the fridging outrage (although I doubt it will be outright fridging and a more typical sidelining) is in their future because we all know this isn't going to last.
    SHSO: Polite Earthen Despair

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Wouldn't be the first tme for her, Jane had a similar setup with Lady Sif back in the Len Wein days.
    You know I almost forgot about that.

Nice catch.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    What did you think of Pepper Potts as Rescue?
    The low point of Fraction's IM run. He's better than cheap genderflippin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    QFT. They've tried. Hopefully this will be successful enough that when 'original recipie' Thor returns this new Thor will get a moniker of her own like when Eric beacame Thunderstrike.
    They didn't try hard enough, nor did they ever imply Sif or Valkerie were bearers of the Mjölnir, which is the big part of what will give this female iteration of Thor credibility with readers. Had Sif taken the Mjölnir from an unworthy Thor for 8-months, readers would take notice.

Just because Marvel tried doesn't mean their execution was any good, they have a habit of just throwing out ideas without much forethought. They are the company in a constant state of re-imagining, hence all the spin-offs of their franchises.