Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Donald Duck's popularity in Europe.

I heard that the character Donald Duck is really popular in Europe. In particular, his comic books are super popular.

Can anyone who lives in or has been to Europe confirm this? And why do you think Donald is so popular in Europe?

Yes, he is. You can get lengthy Disney anthologies (most of the comics are Duck comics) for dirt.
    Donald has more personality/characteristics than bland Mickey.
    BB

BANNED

He certainly was when I was growing up.

I couldn't really tell you what the kids like these days.

Astonishing Member

Donald Duck comics are indeed very popular in Europe, especially in Scandinavia. I believe the Swedish Donald Duck title used to sell something like 60,000 copies <i>a week</i> in Sweden, but I could be wrong about that. Does anyone have the actual circulation figures? I'm sure comic sales of all characters have fallen off there in recent years, as they have in the USA, as more kids grow up with interests in things other than comics.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Donald Duck comics are indeed very popular in Europe, especially in Scandinavia. I believe the Swedish Donald Duck title used to sell something like 60,000 copies <i>a week</i> in Sweden, but I could be wrong about that. Does anyone have the actual circulation figures? I'm sure comic sales of all characters have fallen off there in recent years, as they have in the USA, as more kids grow up with interests in things other than comics.
    Second table has some figures of Finland's best selling translated comics (that just happen to be Donald Duck pocket books)
    http://www.kvaak.fi/index.php?articleID=2388
    BB

Astonishing Member

Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse comics are quite popular in Portugal.
    Not always there were super hero comics being printed in Portugal(especially in the late 90s),now Mickey comics they are quite cheap and ever since i was a kid i remember seeing them being sold at shops.
    Why they are so popular?
    I am guessing that the quality of the Disney characters and stories have to do with that.

BANNED

Yeah its true.

Here in Denmark "Anders And og Co" (Donald Duck and co) has come out for 60 years, most of that time as a weekly comic.

Various superhero comics have come and gone but Donald is still going.
    Not in the same numbers as before but it still exists.

I thought it was mainly in Scandinavia he's popular.

He's certainly not particularly popular in the UK - but we don't hate him the way we hate that annoying mouse. (or maybe it's just me)

Donald Duck >>>>>>> Mickey Mouse

He's always had the more interesting and relatable personality. He, like Batman, surrounds himself with surrogate family: Daisy the surrogate wife, Huey & Dewey & Louie as his surrogate sons, Scrooge McDuck as his surrogate father, Gladstone Gander as his surrogate brother, and Professor Ludwig von Drake as his surrogate uncle.

This was all pointed out nicely in that recent MICKEY xmss special where Donald stays with Mickey and Goofy
    to experience wintry xmas instead going with Daisy and the other ducks down south.

He was really popular in France during the 70s and 80s as I was a kid, and a friend just said me that he recently saw kids reading Super Picsou Geant (Super Giant Uncle Scrooge) in a train.

I love the Disney characters and always did. It's a damn shame they aren't more popular in their home country. I've always liked the art of Daan Jippes, 'Vicar,' and Romano Scarpa who's known as the Italian equivalent of the legendary Carl Barks.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I thought it was mainly in Scandinavia he's popular.

He's certainly not particularly popular in the UK - but we don't hate him the way we hate that annoying mouse. (or maybe it's just me)
    I remember him being popular in the Netherlands and possibly in Germany. Plenty of Dutch Duck cartoonists.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I love the Disney characters and always did. It's a damn shame they aren't more popular in their home country. I've always liked the art of Daan Jippes, 'Vicar,' and Romano Scarpa who's known as the Italian equivalent of the legendary Carl Barks.
    Comparing Scarpa to Barks is blasphemy.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    I remember him being popular in the Netherlands and possibly in Germany. Plenty of Dutch Duck cartoonists.

Comparing Scarpa to Barks is blasphemy.
    I've heard the comparison made on boards. Barks is the man. I think Casty is a modern day master and its nice to see someone of his talent tackle the Mouse. (Metaphorically, of course!)

I just read in the French newspaper that Picsou Magazine (the uncle Scrooge mag) could sold 500 000 issues per month in France during the 70s. Wow...

Wow, I heard that Italy's Topolino was a big seller back in the 60s and 70s as well but not-so-much now (according to online posts I read). At least the Ducks are still big in Scandinavia and I presume Brazil/South America.