Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast
    Master Hero Vladimir

Look, I want to keep an open mind in regards to Jon's teenage phase but I have trouble seeing the relevance of this plotline, especially when Conner Kent is set to make a comeback. I admit I'm not that emotionally invested in Conner, thanks to the New 52's mishandling of the character, but maybe, just maybe, Bendis will do him justice.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    You BOTH are correct imo.even though I dont agree with everything Bendis has done in the super books and the characters sometimes are written a lil off,its still a good read
    Every time one Bendis's characters is written "a lil off" it feels like someone scratches a chalkboard
    That pretty much prevents them from a good read for me.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Look, I want to keep an open mind in regards to Jon's teenage phase but I have trouble seeing the relevance of this plotline, especially when Conner Kent is set to make a comeback. I admit I'm not that emotionally invested in Conner, thanks to the New 52's mishandling of the character, but maybe, just maybe, Bendis will do him justice.
    Given how Bendis handles a lot of characters who aren't Clark I've begun to fear Conner's return.
    Perhaps he will do right by him, or perhaps he will treat him like he treated Jon so far.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The way, I see it this run is mixed bag leaning towards negative till now. Now, let's see what happens in the future.

You know Bendis did post an image on his Instagram with the words "meanwhile on Superman" sometime back in September. And Jon and Lois were both there and Jon was still a kid. So maybe it's just a phase and not permanent.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn4HX-vBmU2/
    Last edited by Journey; 12-02-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    You know Bendis did post an image on his Instagram with the words "meanwhile on Superman" sometime back in September. And Jon and Lois were both there and Jon was still a kid. So maybe it's just a phase and not permanent.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn4HX-vBmU2/
    You know that this image already happened and it was only a dream?
    It gave me hope, and then it made me feel like he was making a big joke at the expense of the readers, who wanted the old Jon back

Nah i didn't know haven't really kept up with anything Superman related because I've never liked Bendis's writing not in Marvel and not in DC! Thanks for the info

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Nah i didn't know haven't really kept up with anything Superman related because I've never liked Bendis's writing not in Marvel and not in DC! Thanks for the info
    To me that sounds like a good decision

Knew I should have listened to the people familiar with Bendis' work in Marvel. But I wanted to read it for myself.

Like a bad fanfic that has characters that are named and look similar to established characters, but are nothing like the real versions.

Boy do I drop those fast when I find that out. Bendis' work is no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Knew I should have listened to the people familiar with Bendis' work in Marvel. But I wanted to read it for myself.

Like a bad fanfic that has characters that are named and look similar to established characters, but are nothing like the real versions.

Boy do I drop those fast when I find that out. Bendis' work is no different.
    At least you gave it a chance and judged it on its own merits. No one can ask for more than that.

Shame you're not enjoying the run. I'm not terribly impressed with different aspects of it but I'm happier with it than I expected to be, and I was actually sorta optimistic and hopeful about this from the start (which is unusual, since Im such a cranky old bastard now and haven't really enjoyed Bendis since Daredevil). Not sold on this idea for Jon at all, and Im kinda dreading the whole thing, but for my money, Bendis has earned the benefit of the doubt, and if things go poorly I'll just drop the books again like I have so many times in the past.

Hopefully you'll find some Super material to scratch that itch for you soon. Have you dug into older material? That's what I started doing in the early 00's when I dropped the regular titles, and it was the best thing Ive ever done as a Super fan; those old trades really expanded my view on the character and brought a new level of appreciation to the whole history.
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-02-2018 at 06:39 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

This better be like Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man run and not his All-New X-Men run. Seriously, I can't stand the level of teen angst in the latter and I regularly read X-Men.

Mighty Member

We really have to make a habit of waiting for things to develop, rather than assuming and dismissing right then and there.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    We really have to make a habit of waiting for things to develop, rather than assuming and dismissing right then and there.
    Nice of you to donate money on the hope that a story might get better, but I'm not so nice.
    I'm voting with my wallet

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    Nice of you to donate money on the hope that a story might get better, but I'm not so nice.
    Also if a story isn't going a direction you want to see, why would you hold out hope that it would change drastically?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    I'm not nice at all. I don't mind throwing money at Superman and Action Comics, since I've been enjoying both immensely. I'm interested to see what they do with Jon. Nothing wrong with that. It's just absurd to bring out the pitchforks over something that you have no context on.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K