Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Default Nocenti's KID ETERNITY

I had forgotten all about Nocenti's run on the Kid. I was pretty into the Vertigo series that spun out of Morrison's re-imagining of the character in the 90s, and actually own most of the issues. Anyone else remember this? I'm re-reading it now, and it holds up. Good stuff, not "GREAT" but solid.

Makes me look forward to KLARION #1 even more.

Astonishing Member

Took a while to get somewhere, I thought, but I really enjoyed it.

Whatever else one may complain about regarding Nocenti, density and intelligence has never been in short supply in her work, even when the polish isn't quite there. I'm pretty excited about Klarion.

It helped that it had Sean Phillips on the art. Some great page layouts.

I've always dug Nocenti's work, especially DAREDEVIL. I can see why she gets a lot of hate on these boards (she's very different in her approach) but I always find something good in her stuff.

I especially liked issue 10, "Small Wages".

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I'd say it's more interesting than good, but I certainly do enjoy it. The first few issues are a bit of a mess blasting readers with wild concepts and ideas to recreate the idea of chaos interjected into the world, but the book finds itself around five or six. The book was in a very good groove when it was cancelled. I certainly hope that the upcoming Klarion series is more in line with KE than most of Nocenti's very pedestrian, run of the mill recent work.

You can also see Sean Phillips' evolution as an artist. Previous to KE, he was mostly a painter who hadn't done much pen and ink work besides a few forgotten British girls comics and a few Hellblazer issues at the tail end of Delano's run.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I really dug it at the time, so I'm glad to know it can still hold up. Going to have to track some down and read it anew sometime.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

You can also see Sean Phillips' evolution as an artist. Previous to KE, he was mostly a painter who hadn't done much pen and ink work besides a few forgotten British girls comics and a few Hellblazer issues at the tail end of Delano's run.
    Agreed. Those last few issues of the run really showcased him as the artist he has become. Very energetic work, which really helps the flow of the book itself.

Some classic late 90s VERTIGO stuff, there. Makes me miss the heydays of that imprint. Soule's SWAMP THING is the closest thing we have to it.

Extraordinary Member

I've never read it. but since you guys seem to be singing its praises, that gets me excited about the prospect of Klarion's series. Maybe Nocenti will hit it out of the park on this one.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I had forgotten all about Nocenti's run on the Kid. I was pretty into the Vertigo series that spun out of Morrison's re-imagining of the character in the 90s, and actually own most of the issues. Anyone else remember this? I'm re-reading it now, and it holds up. Good stuff, not "GREAT" but solid.

Makes me look forward to KLARION #1 even more.
    You know what, I really like Kid Eternity and the general concept and am puzzled that he hasn't been used more often. I think he is licensed to DC rather than owner, right?

Any suggestions for reading? I remember him dying in JSA, then being reborn and dying again in Teen Titans. I'll track down Nocenti's run asap, I think I've read Morisson's and its somewhere in the ol' archive.