Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman #34 (800th Issue!) Discussion and Spoilers

800th Issue of Superman demands something special! Normally such threads are reserved for issue discussions. But feel free to post anything of celebratory nature. Unless moderators desire a separate thread for celebrations. (That maybe better).

Let me start by posting both the covers.

I like it when the cover says what is truthfully inside. A short while ago there was an Action Comics cover with a Gorilla who was not inside the actual issue. It was a fun cover but not a true representation of what was inside the issue.

This is very much a Lois Lane's issue. Baring the start and the end which tracked what was happening with Lex/Superman and Jon respectively the issue was about Lois. I loved that part. Loved it that she managed to win over Granny Goodness by her spirit. (Also by some luck and dumbness by a Fury. Which is pretty much the story of every hero in comics. Isn't it?). I loved to see her in action. And using her skills to fight plus her intelligence. Wished a bit more but its alright.

The one panel where Granny Goodness gives her some stuff to eat and reminds her that family is important and Lois says 'I know'. I loved the panel and her determined look. Reminds me of the likes of Sarah Conner and Ripley. How i wish there be a sequel to Man Of Steel and this story be partially adapted. I imagine the Super couple trapped in Apokolips and Amy Adams in this role of an awesome action hero. I would love to see that!

Superman appears on a splash page with one line of dialogue. This is one complaint. There are a bit more splash pages then necessary shortening the story. Though Superman's page was good to look at!

Liked the part where Jon jumps saying 'Up, Up and Away'. He is making me proud! Reminds me of his illustrious father.

Art was very good. I don't know how others are seeing this. But it has three separate artists for different sections(isn't it?).

Overall a good issue! I loved it!

Last edited by Kuwagaton; 11-01-2017 at 07:30 AM.

Always Rakzo

Even better than the last one. Solid Lois-centric issue that might not be focused on her classic skills but show another strong side of her and is quite respectful to her character. I also digged how Lex's plans are starting to be revealed.

The different artists managed to maintain a consistent tone thankfully. Nice read.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Double post. I won't let it not go waste.

That should have played in the theater before the opening of MOS. It pays tribute to everything that came before while transitioning into the next chapter.

Wow! 800 issues. 700 seems like just yesterday!

As for the issue itself... I'm enjoying this so far. Feels like this book is on an upswing again. Loving the focus on Lois.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'm not sure I'd eat anything Granny Goodness gave me!
    Assassinate Putin!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Man if I don't love a blend of Benes and Herbert.

That prophecy was hilariously specific. Might as well have said the savior will fall under a guise that rhymes with Mark Dent. It's also kinda funny that Lois was the one to tell them to shoot for the eyes. But I really enjoyed this issue. "I will not be spilling your blood today."

This was a pretty good issue, I enjoyed it more than the last one despite Superman only appearing for one page. Lois was handled really well in this issue. I have no idea why some Lois fans think Tomasi and Gleason are mistreating her just because of that pie scene in Black Dawn since it was Lois' resourcefulness and quick thinking that beat the Dredge worm. She's had stand out moments like that across this title. Nice to see the Lex Luthor ruler of Apokolips sub plot from Darkseid War getting closure as well, Lex still hasn't lost all of his weaselly nature despite his turn to the side of good. He's clearly trying to get out of the Apokolips deal and pin it on Superman as the prophecy originally foretold. So 800 issues of Superman, what a milestone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    This was a pretty good issue, I enjoyed it more than the last one despite Superman only appearing for one page. Lois was handled really well in this issue. I have no idea why some Lois fans think Tomasi and Gleason are mistreating her just because of that pie scene in Black Dawn since it was Lois' resourcefulness and quick thinking that beat the Dredge worm. She's had stand out moments like that across this title. Nice to see the Lex Luthor ruler of Apokolips sub plot from Darkseid War getting closure as well, Lex still hasn't lost all of his weaselly nature despite his turn to the side of good. He's clearly trying to get out of the Apokolips deal and pin it on Superman as the prophecy originally foretold. So 800 issues of Superman, what a milestone.
    Well, we've taken the time to explain why we don't think that overall she's been well served in this book in exhaustive, descriptive, paragraphed detail so if you "have no idea" why we think she's been underserved by this team than I would encourage you to take the time and effort to understand it better, ask questions and reflect as opppsed to making assumptions or broad generalizations. It certainly isn't ::just:: because of that stupid pie incident. It's a much deeper problem. This is the 34th issue of this book and I can literally count on one hand the number of times she's been handled well. It's an agrregate problem not fixed by the Hellbat moment or one issue here or there.

I liked this issue and I liked how Lois was used in this issue. I hope this is the beginning of a new and improved CONSISTENT pattern of better writing for her. CONSISTENT. As in, not just one random issue every 6 months where she is written like someone who resembles Lois Lane as a recognizable and complex woman. Bc that's the issue.

But today was fun. So I'm happy today and excited for more.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 11-01-2017 at 01:48 PM.

So that election for the throne of Apokolips between Luthor and Supes in the solicits will actually be the two of them trying weasel out of the job while pointing at the other guy eh? That's potentially hilarious.

I made a good choice replacing King Batman for Superman... I enjoyed this chapter with Lois more than the few chapters that I saw of King Batman..

I suppose that fury will come back to life... So, no chances of one armor in house like the hellbat glove..

Luthor renouncing his throne as a hero, talking about Luthor he was mentioned in Deathtroke 25...

vandal savage luthor hero.jpg

However, the secret society of S.Villains preserve luthor chair for his return..
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-02-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Decent issue, I was expecting more given that it’s the 800th, but as just a second part of a story, it was good. Granny adopting Lois so fast was kind of weird, but I like where this is headed. Art was ok, better in some parts than in others
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Was Barda with the Furies? I recognized Stompa, and obviously Lashina and Mad Harriet, but one of them seemed to have Barda's headress that she wears when she's out of her armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    So that election for the throne of Apokolips between Luthor and Supes in the solicits will actually be the two of them trying weasel out of the job while pointing at the other guy eh? That's potentially hilarious.
    I just love how when it comes time for Luthor to actually do what the prophecy says he just admits he totally lied and pins it all on Superman at the first opportunity .

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Was Barda with the Furies? I recognized Stompa, and obviously Lashina and Mad Harriet, but one of them seemed to have Barda's headress that she wears when she's out of her armor.

I just love how when it comes time for Luthor to actually do what the prophecy says he just admits he totally lied and pins it all on Superman at the first opportunity .
    That was one of my fave things. Perfectly classic Luthor. Even if he's a "hero",he hasn't completely changed his spots. He's still a weasel through and through, He's still an egomaniac looking out for himself first and foremost.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 11-02-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Granny seemed a little quick to draft Lois. It just felt kind of unearned.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorblax View Post
    Granny seemed a little quick to draft Lois. It just felt kind of unearned.
    My thoughts too. The portrayal of Granny was pretty off.