Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    I hated it. I felt it was totally pandering to give a "Favourable" image of an openly gay "Ice" Man. He is a man coming close to his 30s who is only recently out. He immediately has a bland boyfriend. Sleeps with him for the first time and it's not a big deal? He's hanging around with his russian ex girlfriend and she has zero reaction to him being gay, em missed opportunity to explore something topical.

I just feel like this should be bit darker and a bit more complex.

Feels very base for political reasons. I mean it gets better but it's a process. It's not literally overnight.

Also didn't dig the art. I thought everyone looked the same.
    It's very vanilla, very basic. I liked the team/family X-mansion scene the most, but overall it is just perfunctory. I always appreciate complexity in a story, and this is just intro level.

At the same time, the series has been at least mildly enjoyable, and it's nice for Iceman to get some shine in a fun, lighthearted way.

Last time he got a story focus, he went crazy and almost froze the world. It's nice to see him stepping up a little bit without going full megalomaniac.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by True Believer Tony View Post
    Also, I too thought it was weird that QQ was hanging with the adults.
    So, Kitty, Jubilee and Rachel are like, what, 3 or 4 years max older than QQ?

I take it any and all are welcome to watch tv in the main sitting room at the mansion. Most of the other kids are just in their own rooms.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by True Believer Tony View Post
    Well to be fair, it looked like Quentin was just hogging the couch and Kurt was trying to kick him out. I love glimpses into the X-Men's mundane downtime life, I had to pause for a few moments while reading to enjoy the image of Storm making microwavable popcorn.
    Any panel time for X-characters outside of the core roster is valued. And for it to be Quentin Quire *shudder* of all people irks me. As for X-Men mundane moments, I have to agree. Sometimes they can be the more enjoyable parts to read. They've such extraordinary lives, time for them to just play baseball or hang out is a rarity and a fun concept.

A fairly solid issue. Not big on action, but then again, that's not really the main draw of this series. It's built around the evolution of Bobby Drake into someone who's more comfortable in his own skin. I think this issue shows he's making progress. He's being more honest about who he is and what he's done in the past. The melodrama is a bit thick at times. But overall, I think this series has been good for Bobby and the idea of him heading out west for a bit has potential. We've seen the X-men move before and it has worked out well for them. We've also seen other characters like Wolverine often go on some solo journeys every now and then for personal reasons. Bobby has never really done anything like that in the past. I think this could be good for him.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

It was good but for me, the weakest issue of the series so far (which isn't saying much as the series has set a really high standard for itself). Lol @ the "LA Basic" nickname but sadly it's fitting. I hate to say this, but it would be far more interesting if Judah turns out to be homeless and his pad is just the place he's currently squatting at. Anything to break the vanilla-ness of it all.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Ok issue but just a little too like... idk. Too much focus on his relationship and all that. The superheroing is comparatively tame.

I actually liked the look at the mansion/school the best in this issue.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    So, Kitty, Jubilee and Rachel are like, what, 3 or 4 years max older than QQ?

I take it any and all are welcome to watch tv in the main sitting room at the mansion. Most of the other kids are just in their own rooms.
    Kitty (if she is the same age as Empath) should be like 23-24 (he was 20 in 2009, and there have been 8 years + 2 8 months time skips since then)
    Jubilee should be younger

and Quentin must be either 17 or 18, I think he had graduated in Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men but he is a student again in Gen X

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Maybe Velocidad?
    You know, my first thought was Benjamin Deeds, but I think you may be right in that the behavior is more in line with that of Velocidad
    Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    It's criminal we have had nothing with Emma and Bobby since he came out.
    Definitely on the list of future dream interactions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Yay Rogue got name-dropped! and as a friend bobby talks about his parents with, cool
    Its the little things! This is the kind of fanisfaction that folks crave. We don't ALWAYS need grandiose, in your face, on panel drama but even name dropping can be a real treat -- AND realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    Bravo! Loved this issue as I've loved all of them in this solo so far. Sina's writing may be a little heavy handed even for some in the lgbt community but give me all of the "yas kweens" and Lana Del Rey references (I factually lol'd) you got, I'm so here for it haha. Coming out is a process that many people don't realize takes months, even years at times. It's not just about that first initial revelation you make to your family and friends. That is just the first, hard step. A lot of the time people don't realize that one of the hardest parts is coming to terms with your own internal, residual judgments about being a gay man/woman. A big part of that is embracing gay culture and not being ashamed to talk and express yourself in certain ways. So he can "Yas Kween" me all day long, I'm just so proud and happy to see him loving himself and not being afraid to be/sound "gay" around his loving and supportive friends. It's a good feeling and I know it well!

The scenes at the X-mansion lifted my spirits and gave me so much nostalgiac satisfaction! Seeing the X-men as the wild and varied, but loving family that they are is something I could read all day. Bobby's interpretations of there conversations had me rolling! Especially Kitty and Ororo's interaction. "Benevolent Empress voice" hahaha

Loved getting to see Bobby's excitement as his first out relationship blossoms. The first one after coming out is typically equal parts terrifying and exciting, so its fun to watch Bobby being nervous, awkward, and giddy when it comes to his new relationship with Judah.

I have to be honest and say that I was never a fan of Iceman. Ever ever ever lol. He always seemed like the kind of jokester throw away character who was kept around for light comedic relief when needed. But I love witnessing this Iceman Renaissance in action. Coming out in many ways is like experiencing a whole new childhood again, except now you're older, not burdened with as many crushing insecurities and with a renewed excitement for life and love. Not always a happy/easy experience but even when you deal with potential shame and disappointment from those you love, it's like taking a giant breath of fresh air for the first time ever. I know there are many longtime iceman fans who dislike this new direction he's going in and wish he was never "changed" but if theres anything you can take comfort in, think of all of the struggling young boys and girls out there who will read these stories and take comfort in the fact that one of the legendary X-men has to deal with the same problems and insecurities they do. The courage they will get from seeing Bobby face his fears and live and authentic, free life. After all, if he can do it why can't they? That makes Bobby a hero in more ways than most and it is a legacy to be proud of if I do say so myself.

It is wonderful, and at times very emotional and triggering(lol) experience for me to watch Bobby go through all of these all too familiar experiences. But in the fun times and in the sad times I love it so much because it feels real. It feels authentic, and I'm grateful to be here in this day and age watching these types of stories become normalized and shared with the Marvel public community. It gives me hope for the future, in more ways than one!

Bobby's gained a new and excited fan in me and can't wait to stick around and see where this ride takes him!
    Thank you for writing this - you actually gave me some new perspective on this run, and what it means that Marvel outed Iceman as gay. = ) You also made realize how LITTLE I know about gay people, the process of coming out, and what it really all means, and how it's still, in this day and age, a big thing.

Heck, I was actually one of those a bit upset with the outing, but I think I've started to see the potential in both cultural impact and storytelling here!

With that said, much like with many other X-men solo-books, I'm not entirely convinced by it... the problem is of course that every solo-book needs enticing side-characters, enemies and sufficient mythology - a storytelling engine, to be viable.

Iceman still has a long way to go there... but things can of course be done, to get there.

Warning! Intense fan-ficting ensues!
    --------------------------------------------------
    As an arch-nemesis, I suggest... EQUINOX!

He's a potentially complex, conflicted character, whom mirrors Bobby's in some ways - he's also got history, and was created by a team which X-fans SHOULD be familiar with: Len Wein and Gil Kane! = )

For supporting character, I suggest they bring back POLARIS! ^^ Which might enrage Polaris-fans, I suppose... but it's the right thing to do! There's tremendous drama to be mined, but which could ultimately end with Lorna becoming his best friend and confidante - the fact that Bobby is more or less the only person other than Havoc which Lorna has dated seriously, implies that Bobby has features to his personality which Lorna finds highly admirable, deep down...

It could also introduce an interesting sub-plot wherein Iceman is worried about a friends mental health (Polaris is Bipolar AF after all), and whether or not he should keep her in his new life, with her traumatic baggage. (ultimately he would, since he's a hero)

That would invite for an unexpected grudge-match with MAGNETO btw... which would be a most excellent moment to REALLY show what Iceman can actually do... As far as I know, he's never gone up against such a powerful foe on his own... but really, in theory, he's actually MORE POWERFUL than Magneto! :O

It could be titanic... the stuff that makes and proves a hero.

I also demand a "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends" reunion! Featuring Human Torch as well, for good measure. A talk between Torch and Iceman could also be interesting... Is Torch also putting on a show, over-compensating, like Bobby used to? Or is there something else putting a strain on Torch's relationships, et c?

There's also the idea of having a special issue where the returned Adult Jean and Bobby finally have a sit-down and get to know each other AWAY from the other X-men! I suppose adult Jean probably knew all along, but never said anything... That in itself is an interesting story.

Dang! This stuff does kind of write itself! But seriously though - Iceman needs some world-building, there might be possibilities in digging up some of the supernatural stuff from his tenure in Defenders as well, hmm...

BANNED

Equinox?! That's a real character? Cause a gay man with a frenemy named Equinox is kinda fitting.

Yay Rogue got name-dropped!
    That moment kinda pissed me off. I wish they would have her guest star instead of this "well, she's in another book, it wouldn't be realistic" crap. Then they turn around and put Wolverine in 10 books at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Calaigah View Post
    Equinox?! That's a real character? Cause a gay man with a frenemy named Equinox is kinda fitting.
    Yeah, Equinox should have the power to make people gain or lose muscle tone. Didn't the original Famine from X-Factor have this power?

Anyway, Bobby stayed at Judah's for the night. Is it safe to say that he's no longer a virgin? Sina did point that out when Bobby came out to his parents.

Also, is Bobby going to bring a U-haul for the second date?

BANNED

Yeah, Equinox should have the power to make people gain or lose muscle tone. Didn't the original Famine from X-Factor have this power?
    Equinox would have to be a cult leader with an army of soulless twinks that would make even Singer and Spacey jealous.

Also, is Bobby going to bring a U-haul for the second date?
    A U-Haul? After all he's done for the XMEN he better take a jet. He can just tell them it got blown up on a mission.

But yeah, jumping head first into a relationship with the first gay you kiss does seem to be a thing...

Lol! Yeah, he's a real character - reading up on him (I've mostly read his first appearance), he's actually a very tragic guy - there's definite potential there.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/equinox/4005-42854/

Err... is Equinox some kind of slang for something relating to exercise...? I just discovered that there's apparently a really tough sub-culture among Gays where exercise and pumping iron is incredibly important... And anybody who can't get ripped, gets shunned. I believe someone who's into that stuff, made the game Cho Aniki...? It does featured incredibly ripped gay men, in spades.

Equinox would have to be a cult leader with an army of soulless twinks that would make even Singer and Spacey jealous.
    Haha, what?? I have no idea what this means... Is it slang from the gay community, pertaining to some kind of douchebag -style personality trait?

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    Kitty (if she is the same age as Empath) should be like 23-24 (he was 20 in 2009, and there have been 8 years + 2 8 months time skips since then)
    Jubilee should be younger

and Quentin must be either 17 or 18, I think he had graduated in Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men but he is a student again in Gen X
    Ages and timing get tricky, but Jubilee was barely 16 by the time Gen X finished, which was right before QQ was introduced at age 14.

Quentin should have graduated already though. They mention that he's still on the school cause he always fucks up when he's about to join the X-Men. So it's not that weird that he's closer in age to Jubilee.