Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Astonishing XMEN #5 Spoilers and Discussion

In the Astral Plane, Rogue wants to know what happened to Gambit. Xavier explains he had to let OML and Gambit fall to Farouk if he wants to win this war against him. He explains he’s currently maintaining illusions of Rogue, Mystique and Fantomex so Farouk doesn’t realize they’ve teamed up. He explains all this is taking a toll on his body as his hand starts to turn black. He then tells them they must save the day.

Back in London, a possessed Gambit comes to, supercharges the floor and jumps out the window onto the helicopter. As the building begins to explode, Betsy saves those around her. In the helicopter, Gambit pushes everyone but the pilot out. He supercharges the pilot’s helmet forcing him to comply.

Back with Xavier, he tells them about how when he died. Farouk captured his spirit and he’s been trapped in the Astral Plane since playing “games” w Farouk. During this, Xavier is also secretly talking to Fantomex, encouraging him to join the XMEN. Fantomex tells him everything about him was created to be an illusion including his being french. Fantomex asks him how he can become better and Xavier tells him they have all the time in the world. Meanwhile, as Xavier’s face turns dark, he tells Rogue and Mystique they have no time. Xavier then transforms Rogue, Mystique and Fantomex into warriors claiming things are about to get worse.

Back in London, Angel and Bishop are waiting for OML when Gambit arrives and infects Bishop. Inside the store, OML has infected everyone and the possession is being spread by mere touch. Angel realizes this and Gambit taunts his pacifist ways. As the infection spreads outside, Angel contacts Psylocke. Meanwhile, the government decides they’ve been too patient and that they must contain the infection at all costs.

Psylocke encourages Angel to turn into Archangel to stop the infected people. Angel hesitates as he fears not regaining control. Psylocke assures him she will save him like before, so Angel turns into Archangel.

Incredible Member

I hate how Angel can just switch back and forth to Archangel and how Archangel is now some evil entity. He was Archangel for over a decade and was a good guy. Why is he now unable to continue being himself now? Other than that, I enjoyed this issue.

BANNED

Wait... Infection?!? What infection?

My enthusiasm for Bishop being on this team "cast" is getting lower and lower. He's done nothing since issue #1 and now he's been infected. Great writing, Soule.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Man, @#!$ this guy. I'm done with this book. Had so much potential and it's actually written and drawn well (well every other issue) but, c'mon. He's really going to have Rogue save the day alongside Fantomex and effing Mystique?! Why?! He has omnipresent Old Man Logan, Psylocke, Bishop, Gambit, and Angel, but those two non-X-Men get to be white-knighted in a X-Men book populated by uber-popular X-Men that aren't being anywhere else? This is the route he takes? The @#@$ outta here with that. Done burning my money.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Man, @#!$ this guy. I'm done with this book. Had so much potential and it's actually written and drawn well (well every other issue) but, c'mon. He's really going to have Rogue save the day alongside Fantomex and effing Mystique?! Why?! He has omnipresent Old Man Logan, Psylocke, Bishop, Gambit, and Angel, but those two non-X-Men get to be white-knighted in a X-Men book populated by uber-popular X-Men that aren't being anywhere else? This is the route he takes? The @#@$ outta here with that. Done burning my money.
    It will be Charles Xavier who will save the day as all of them will fall. Soule already mentioned during the nycc panel that this book is about Charles Xaviers and it will be about presenting him in a different way.
    Last edited by belay; 11-01-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    LOL. Get this man some tea.

Is Shadow King really a villain here? We don`t have even any cover with SK. It is all about Xavier.

Rogue saved the day in issue 1 and now she is going to save the day again with Fanto and Mystique. It is not right for team book.

I still hoped for some twist with possessed characters but it seems they will be just KOed by super evil Archangel.

Possessed Gambit is badass. It was like forever since Gambit was able to dodge bullets again.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    My enthusiasm for Bishop being on this team "cast" is getting lower and lower. He's done nothing since issue #1 and now he's been infected. Great writing, Soule.
    You can pretty much say that about every one. A 12 issue maxi series isn't the book to do a spotlight issue on the most overused character (issue #3). And because of that, it's felt like nobody has done anything else.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitan View Post
    LOL. Get this man some tea.
    Earl Grey please... little lemon. Two spoons of sugar.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Astonishing Member

Xavier is going to take fantomx body and be a darker character isnt he

BANNED

Yeah, why the hell was Xavier focusing on Fantomex? He was leading him on...

Poor Bishop, at this point, everyone else has had a moment at least except him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Calaigah View Post
    Yeah, why the hell was Xavier focusing on Fantomex? He was leading him on...
    maybe that was SK?
    xavier said: we don't have time (Rogue and other)
    xavier said: we have all the time (Fantomex)

Poor Bishop, at this point, everyone else has had a moment at least except him.
    He saved a day in first issue

Sounds like dumping this book was the right call for me. Can we have a relaunch already? Or do we really have to wait out the 12 issues?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    maybe that was SK?
    xavier said: we don't have time (Rogue and other)
    xavier said: we have all the time (Fantomex)

He saved a day in first issue
    That Xavier being Farouk does kinda make sense...

I don't really count what Bishop did in that issue as anything since they all had small moments in that first issue. Since then all the others have had their own moments...

Also, if Xavier had to lose someone, why didn't he drop Mystique and Fantomex? I'd rather keep Gambit and OML, since he can trust them.