Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can Diana ever returned to high sales ?

Kanigher had resulted in Diana’s low sales but I do Think it’s also because he fired her editor. Is there any way Diana can return ? For one major important thing is Continuity and no retcons when a new writer comes in. Also despite her low sales I do believe she desperately needs her own editor so we can not deal with the same mistakes jay have been happening for so long? I mean kanigher for 20 years was writer Diana and sadly now sales. I mean is there any reason for the low sales?

Perez and many writers have gotten high sales but how do we keep the high sales .
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 11-01-2017 at 10:29 AM.

I don't know. She has the movie which has gotten her mainstream attention. I gotta believe all her comic needs now is a big hook to get more people in. Maybe a DOS/Knightfall-like gimmick (not saying kill or replace her, I'm just making a comparison in regards to epic scope of story). Say what you will about the 90s, and yes they overdid their gimmicks, but in varied enough doses, they can have very positive impacts.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

But movies don't mean an increase in comics. One way is to being single issue comics back into bookstores. I mean have seen it in two bookstores. That's where more kids and adults brought them. You would have to base them off the movies but not completely.

That's what I mean, the movies don't mean an increase in comic sales, but it does have that character now relevant in the public eye. Now with that relevancy, the comics then do something to get those eyes to that medium. Not necessarily something based on the movies (in fact I hate that strategy), just something to get people to notice and give a look.

Who knows, maybe that's supposed to be the point of the WW/BM limited.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Kanigher had resulted in Diana’s low sales but I do Think it’s also because he fired her editor.
    Huh? Sheldon Mayer was the editor, with Julius Scwhartz and Bob Kanigher working for him as story editors. In 1948, Mayer decided he preferred to be independent and not have the stress of being in management so he left his editorial position, at which point Schwartz and Kanigher (who shared an office) took over editing those titles. As far as I know, WONDER WOMAN continuied to sell well for many years after that. Its sales didn't seem to decline until later. SENSATION COMICS must have had weaker sales since they eventually changed the line-up and ultimately cancelled the title. But most super-hero comics went through tough times in the late '40s and early '50s. WW fared much better than most.

Astonishing Member

Yes but we need a specific man for the job. A bald man.

Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Kanigher had resulted in Diana’s low sales but I do Think it’s also because he fired her editor. Is there any way Diana can return ?
    Have Diana become the new Batwoman.

That may bump up sales.

Didn’t she go through some problems in the 60s and 70s? I means Wonder Woman gave up her powers to raise sales. The Hong is the only way to make her a bigger importance like Batman is more Continuity. Doesn tit annoy people that when a run ends off strong and yet we are back at ground zero? I mean Diana goes too many times with changes that are just left unchanged. She needs her own editor to not make these things happen. Despite only agreeing one comic they need her own office and editor. More books in the mainline comics. Sensation comics so we get more different stories and all stars so we can get team ups

I guess it is always possible for sales to rise.

The stories today just don't seem to be as interesting as the 1960's-1970's stories. Of course, as time goes by, it is harder to keep that interesting level at the same point, but today's writers in general, just don't seem to either write good stories or their method of story telling is confusing and vague. Consistent artistry is also required with great artwork.

So of course, all of these things could happen and sales could rise.

Retired

Didn’t she go through some problems in the 60s and 70s? I means Wonder Woman gave up her powers to raise sales.
    Yep. I'm not saying Bob Kanigher didn't drive Wonder Woman into the ground eventually--it just took him twenty years to do it. So he was finally taken off the book in 1968--and Infantino, Sekowsky, Miller and O'Neil came up with the idea to make Diana a more grounded character and not a costumed super-hero. This was when the BATMAN TV show had gone bust--and sales on all of DC's super-hero comics were falling. There was a real backlash from the public against DC (typical of human beings to turn from loving super-heroes to hating them within a single year).

Gloria Steinem complained about this change in Wonder Woman. But I don't think she read the comics--either the ones that Kanigher had been writing and editing or the ones that Sekowsky and O'Neil were now doing. Because the new Wonder Woman was miles away a better representation of women than what Bob Kanigher had been doing. Anyway, Steinem worked in the same building as Carmine Infantino and she put pressure on him to return Wonder Woman to her roots. Which he did eventually, after Steinem's MS magazine had made Wonder Woman into a feminist icon.

But the kicker is that--after trying and failing to get a woman to edit WONDER WOMAN (Dorothy Woolfolk)--the new editor and writer they got was none other than Bob Kanigher. Who immediately set Wonder Woman's liberation back twenty years and had Diana Prince characterized as some mousey, unattractive nobody because she wore glasses. Kanigher even symbolically killed off Dorothy Woolfolk in his first comeback story (Dorothy Cottonman).

Be careful what you wish for, Gloria Steinem. You might just get it.

Who should be Diana's editor? I mean I feel she would benefit greatly from an editor despite one mainstream comics. I feel that first getting the first comic right than getting back the original comics like sensation back.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Even in the 90's when the book was selling way more than it does now, Wonder Woman has rarely (if ever) outsold the other big guns. Nothing short of a much-hyped creator taking over the monthly will get her up there to Superman level sales.

And the problem with that strategy is that most of the readers gained usually leave with the much-hyped creator...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

How would you change how DC handles Diana or anything to give a bigger sale. I mean I notice that many outside elseworld stories are more award-winning or popular like Legends or sensations. You think it might have something to do with the fact Dc doesn't have much say?

The only way I could see is if you get a writer of the caliber of Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder or even Tom King. Get one of those writers and you'd pull in non-WW readers who are fans of the writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    The only way I could see is if you get a writer of the caliber of Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder or even Tom King. Get one of those writers and you'd pull in non-WW readers who are fans of the writers.
    Of course, there are people like me who would no longer buy the book if you let any of those miserable writers touch it!