bobby20

Default Do Superman and Supergirl have different powers

I was wondering if Superman and Supergirl have different powers and strength. Since they are both Kryptonians and they both left Krypton at the same time, thus being exposed to yellow sun radiation for the same period of time, I am assuming they have the same powers and strength. Is this wrong. If so did they change their abilities and powers in the new 52.

Supes has been on Earth far longer then Kara, and thus absorbed more yellow solar radiation. Kryptonians work as solar batteries, and the more energy they absorb, the more powerful they are. Though its kind of a slow crawl as they power up, if you want to compare their progress to say, DBZ, the power creep in DBZ is insane if you actually look at it. Whereas its far slower for Kryptonians in DC.

Does Superman's superior height, weight, and muscles play any part of his strength level over Supergirl?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Does Superman's superior height, weight, and muscles play any part of his strength level over Supergirl?
    I would think that'd be the case only insofar as Superman has more area with which to absorb solar radiation.

If all other things were equal, he might have something of an edge - but I'd wager it would have more to do with his age and experience than anything.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Actually in current continuity Supergirls pod was circling the sun for years this explains why superman arrived on earth first. So Kara absorbed more solar radiation than Clark and was stronger than him when she first arrived on earth. Since then their comparative strength shifts based on story but superman is generally believed to stronger. In terms of raw physical strength Kara actually ranks below Diana now, so she’s been weakened considerably.

Supergirl flew into the Sun in Supergirl Rebirth #1 to regain her powers. It would seem that would have given her a tremendous boost in power as compared to
    Superman only getting sunlight from 93 million miles away while on Earth. Radiation falls off with the square of distance so sunlight on the Earth is around
    8.65 thousand million million times weaker on Earth than inside the Sun. So it would seem Supergirl absorbed the solar energy it would take Superman over
    a trillion years to absorb.

Incredible Member

Not sure how it was handled with Rebirth but Superman has taken a few 'sun dips' to supercharge himself and their solar charge is not usually permanent as they expend their energy doing their 'hero-ing' around the world and need to constantly recharge from the sun.

Yeah, Superman's definitely done that before.

Overall, I'd say that their powers are exactly the same. Kal's muscles are bigger, and I do maintain that some of Superman's super-strength comes from the fact that he's got a musculature evolved for a planet with much higher gravity. In that regard, he's probably stronger. In regard to whatever proportion of their powers come from absorbing stellar radiation, he's probably not much stronger, or at the very least they'd have an equal amount of strength after absorbing an equal amount of sunlight for an equal amount of time.

Either way, I don't think it qualifies as "different powers".
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Is DC still going with the "Krypton had much greater gravity" bit? Officially?

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post
    Is DC still going with the "Krypton had much greater gravity" bit? Officially?
    I haven't heard them mention it recently, but I haven't heard them saying anything against it. Even if they have though, who cares? The Superman Mythos is additive. Removing elements of it is fundamentally impossible, for better or worse. Contradictions spring up but that doesn't mean that earlier takes are actually removed, they're just, you know, contradicted.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."