Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It feels more like meh . . . so I’m leaning towards Nay.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

It was cool, but I still think Lantern Batman should have been in Fear Corps or Black Lanterns (He is Vengeance from the grave!!!)

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Metal is a lot of fun. its got great art, a large cast and interesting new characters in the shape of the Batmen.

A lot of it is way too 'Metal' but overall it's solid fun.
    I found the one shots compelling reading and Gotham Resistance got me in all the feels.

BANNED

Metal has been found guilty of being an Event.

Off with its head.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

YAY! I like it
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Metal has been found guilty of being an Event.

Off with its head.
    I think we need to come up with a phrase like "sub-Event" for this.
    After all, it's not crossing over with and interrupting storylines in ALL DC's main-universe books.

Yay. Really loving how they've got a focus on something (the "metals" thing) that draws so much of the various parts of the DCU mythos together. It feels fresh.

And the one-shots are amazing. Not what I was expecting at all -- very enjoyable.

Fantastic Member

I feel like this is going to make a really amazing omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    The event is pure batwank,I love it

Though my main interest is the Bats who Laughs.
    Of these villains he is my favorite..

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Nay. I don't really care for Snyder's metaphysical blabber , ala Morrison. Way too much trying to be all deep gibberish and just too much dialogue and exposition in general. Not my thing. I don't really care for Capulla either.

There are positives though. I do admire the all out ,crazy ness and no holding back.
    Also the dark knights tie ins with the different versions of corrupt batmen have been very creative and a lot of fun.

But over all not for me. Hopefully Doomsday clock will be more to my liking .
    Last edited by WallyWestFlash; 11-05-2017 at 08:59 AM.

I think its ok. Issue #3 sold me on the evil batmen, but I'm still passing on the tie-ins until they get collected. A little disappointed with the delays and more issues being added.

Today was a major METAL YAY day for me.

One of the things that's really surprised me about Metal is that almost every one of the tie-ins has been a great read, none has been run-of-the-mill (even Gotham Resistance, the least of them, was fun and wild - never dull), and there have been so many of them. And if they're all actually good-to-great, the more the merrier.

Normally I'm with the conventional wisdom on tie-ins. They're cash grabs and they're often unnecessary to the story and they're often of fill-in issue quality, selling on the coattails of the main event.

NOT SO WITH METAL. AT ALL.

Every single one of the Dark Knights one-shots has been imaginative, surprising, and with exemplary writing and art (that art in Murder Machine was very special but they've all been great). And I realize some fans are concerned about their wallets. Personally I don't limit my budget when it comes to comics - I only buy DC but I buy everything I could possibly want and I always wish there were more I did want. I don't spend money on things other people do like going out drinking or going out at all (since chronic illness laid me low - though I maintain a rewarding career) so if I spend $35/week on new DC comics each week, I'm passing happy about it and wish I'd had cause to spend $40. So I don't have the issue some readers do of having to drop one thing to pick up another. If I did, I might not like that there were so many tie-ins but to me it's only a great thing to have too many great comic books to buy.

And this week was particularly special, especially since we got Batman: Lost in place of an issue of Metal proper (it's a skip month and Batman: Lost has been described as an intermission for those that don't know), because Batman: Lost is a classic Batman story. METAL as a whole has been like an imagination machine, inspiring the wildest ideas from each creator that touches it, but Batman: Lost was something special. I've already read it three times and I get the feeling I do whenever I read a darn good comic book of being happy for a moment that the story exists in the world because it's so satisfying. I close comics like that at the end and pause for a moment just to live with the feeling: That was a "darn" good comic book. (I don't say "darn." I'm from the Joe Biden school of BFD's.)

PLUS we got Hal Jordan: Bats out of Hell pt. 3 which was, iMO, also a great comic. Not a classic like Batman: Lost but a darn good comic. I loved reading it. The only thing that sort of spoiled it for me was my personal feelings for EVS but I don't say I don't enjoy his superhero art. I do feel a little dirty after buying and reading his work but I also enjoy it. And I'm not so hardcore I mean to censor him though skipping something is not censorship. The fact is I'm not going to miss an episode of anything Metal over it. It's not worth that and I loved this issue.

And beyond METAL what a great week for DC...

On the REBIRTH front we got resolution to Oz-based stories in Detective Comics and Action Comics and it seems like each has wrapped it's Rebirth story now, just in time for Doomsday Clock. Fun getting these conclusions (I was really happy with how they changed the "Mr. Oz" character in the end of this issue of Action -- I'd been troubled before but no more) as each title has had Mr. Oz-based stuff going on almost since Rebirth began. It's nice to see that wrapped up in these books for now.

In Wonder Woman too we got a big advance in the Darkseid War/Rebirth revelation story. So that's Rebirth stories for Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, all this week.

Titans was better than usual for two reasons: Something is actually happening and happening apace for once in this book. I'm not sure I like where they're going but I like that they're exploring the character they are and I love the wild revelations. It's like this book has been stuck in a school zone for 16 issues and then they decided to get it out on the highway to see how fast it could go. And no Brett Booth which is always a plus in my mind.

The Flash, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and even (surprisingly) JLA were good too.

All that DC goodness in one week. And I didn't even mention Mister Miracle, which is maybe the best comic book ever.

Spectacular Member

I’m enjoying it, and while it’s obviously a Batman based story, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how much of a role the likes of Superman and Hawkman have, he’s brought back many things into continuity and I also think we will hear more about Shazam (seriously...where is this guy?) later in the metal story arc, so for them reasons I’ll continue to read on, at least while it’s so enjoyable.

Terrible, it is an event which ties back to stories I have long forgotten.
    Snyder is good at times, Wytches is great, he has some really promising ideas but fails to execute them properly.
    I tried Metal, for Capullo‘s sake, and believe me, I know suffering because I read through his Spawn run back in the day, but after issue 2 I gave up.

BANNED

Gets 'yeah' from me.

For starters the bar is set pretty high when it starts off with 'batman focused event', because to me thats what all DC events are to some degree, and with it usually comes some irritating Bat-wank at other characters expense.
    Metal is no exception... and to a degree wallows in it's bat-wanking by literally making Batman himself the center of the multiverse, and on top of this we are introduced to a bunch of batman-nified versions of other heroes who then tramples all the normal heroes into the ground with their own tricks... coz Batman. So everything is rather set for this turning out to be a really hard to stomach event for me... because I believe events are best when there is a certain balance between characters and that they need to come together to pull off a win, and right now everything seems to be hinging on Batman alone.

But... I can't deny I am buying everything with Metal written on the cover from DC. I can't claim its because it's abusing some notions from the above mentions. Resistance and Bat's out of Hell certainly didn't, when nearly everyone with superpower gets taken down and only the local Gothamites manages to make it out. But it's not poorly written (it's poor-man's Morrison, but that's probably what stops it from getting too confusing ala Final Crisis) or bad to look at, and I am genuinely looking forwards to see what happens next... so it must be doing something right.