Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I recently handled Tim's first trade to a person that only knew him for his apperances from 2011 onward and completly dislike him and after reading said trade, he actually was surprisde of how good it was in comparison with everything that he read about him since the reboot, granted is one person, but still think that not all hope is lost.

Honestly Tim needs a solo (not writting by Tynion), when he has the opportunity to be a characther, not a plot device, with the role of generic team leader or THE Hacker, when he has to balanced his normal and superhero life, some updating is needed here and there, but is nothing that any other charachter hadn't gone throught in their long story.
    Well that's encouraging

I honestly thought the whole Peter Parker route would have worked best for the character, giving Tim his personal life back and those small moments of relatability watching him balance work and life. But now that kinda depends on what ever the hell is happening with 'The Signal', that comic might just take the concept and run with it instead.

(Not that I dont think both comics could work at the same time, of course they could but.... you know. DC is DC and sharing one space between characters is kind of an alien concept to how they market.)

Well that's encouraging

I honestly thought the whole Peter Parker route would have worked best for the character, giving Tim his personal life back and those small moments of relatability watching him balance work and life. But now that kinda depends on what ever the hell is happening with 'The Signal', that comic might just take the concept and run with it instead.

(Not that I dont think both comics could work at the same time, of course they could but.... you know. DC is DC and sharing one space between characters is kind of an alien concept to how they market.)
    I completly agreed, even during his Red Robin solo some of that old Dixon magic of his first run with the characther was being putting back in a sort of course correcting way (and exploring some new ground for the characther), sadly the reboot killed the momentum. As for Duke, i would wait and see, but i agreed with you in the general sentiment, i think that Tim has enought fans to hold a solo, but maybe giving him a mini first would help him too, sort of similara of what they did with the 90s.

I think that the biggest problem with Tim is that during the reboot, he was never given any kind of arc or characther exploration beyond his origin, being team leader on TT and Hackerman in Batman books, just has made his seem bland in comparison with the other, as i said i think that Tynion get some of Tim's appeal and put that back in his run, but he isn't handling it in the best way.
    Last edited by TheCape; 11-07-2017 at 08:39 AM.

I think the first thing Tim needs is a new identity. Red Robin has been treading water for a while. It was great and bombastic when it first debuted but for the last few years it has been associated with a terrible Teen Titans run and small cameos. His costume in Tec is just sad, he looks like a boy who can't move on. He's wearing his old suit with an extra R on it. It's like he's desperately trying to stay relevant in the Batcave or something. Love them or hate them, at least Jason and Dick moved on entirely from Robin, with Red Hood and Nightwing. I think he needs a more independent identity.

I see a lot of calls to restore Tim to his old self, I'd personally love that but technically that would regress the character in some ways. He'd become less intelligent and less competent. Has that ever happened to a character before? Would DC be willing to do,it I mean?

I see a lot of calls to restore Tim to his old self, I'd personally love that but technically that would regress the character in some ways. He'd become less intelligent and less competent. Has that ever happened to a character before? Would DC be willing to do,it I mean?
    I would prefer if they put him back of how he was rigth before the reboot, regarding his intelligence, i mean, he has been doing this for years, so he isn't exactly an underdog anymore, but i don't want him to be Tony Stark levels of smart, him going to spidermanesque status quo, would be the best for him quite frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I think the first thing Tim needs is a new identity. Red Robin has been treading water for a while. It was great and bombastic when it first debuted but for the last few years it has been associated with a terrible Teen Titans run and small cameos. His costume in Tec is just sad, he looks like a boy who can't move on. He's wearing his old suit with an extra R on it. It's like he's desperately trying to stay relevant in the Batcave or something. Love them or hate them, at least Jason and Dick moved on entirely from Robin, with Red Hood and Nightwing. I think he needs a more independent identity.

Its a different kind of intelligence, not necessarily an outright downgrade. More figuring out people and cases, less creating Mr. Fantastic style inventions.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Its a different kind of intelligence, not necessarily an outright downgrade. More figuring out people and cases, less creating Mr. Fantastic style inventions.
    I understand. It would be more interesting and engaging but less impressive* than crime stopping wrist computers and self healing buildings. Some fans could see it as a downgrade, DC might get a bit of backlash over it.

*you know how some people live to brag about a characters feats

I understand. It would be more interesting and engaging but less impressive* than crime stopping wrist computers and self healing buildings. Some fans could see it as a downgrade, DC might get a bit of backlash over it.

I think thats the kind of nerdrage DC can laugh off in the face of (I would hope) a superior selling book.

And he can still use that kind of stuff. For example, a bat branded App that allows users to report crimes, that then instantly checks the nearest video feed for confirmation that goes directly to the nearest bat associate. Thats a cool tech idea that also appeals to Tim as a detective and as a guy who occasionally goes too far with a good idea.

For a solo him going to college in Ivytown and trying to build a life outside of superheroing would be the way to go for me.

It feels like a step forward and a way to bring new oppurtunities up. He doesn't have to cut ties with the batfamily as he could just visit whenever you need him to and DC continuity isn't that strict anyway. College is more flexible than high school because people do take semesters off or quit/transfer so you could always have him stop if it looses interest.

Fantastic Member

Thoughts on Bendis writing a Tim Drake Solo?

I see that turning into a disaster. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    Given his work in ultimate spider-man I would be all for it.

Logical, but I wouldn't buy it.

(Bendis is right up there in the pantheon of writers I avoid like the plague.)

Anything Bendis does I approach with a high degree of apprehension. I dont hate Bendis with the blind rage that some fans do, but other than Miles Morales, I haven't really enjoyed anything he's done in years.

I suppose if he had damaged some of my favorite properties I'd have a different opinion, but the worst he's done to a personal favorite is the Cancerverse stuff he pulled with Nova, and while I didn't like that retcon it did bring Rich back from the dead, so.....

Given the stuff Bendis has done that I enjoyed (Ultimate Spidey, Daredevil, Jessica Jones) I think he could, in theory, do a great job with Tim. Whether he'd actually pull it off today is harder to judge.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I think Bendis is VASTLY overrated. He's not even in the same orbit as Morrison or maybe even Snyder. Here are the things I would do if I didn't hate Tim Dreck so bad and wanted him dead:

(1) I'd bring his parents back into the picture--maybe even give him new siblings. Imagine him calling the 'Cave to tell 'em he can't go on patrol because he's stuck taking care of the Drake's new baby.
    (2) As an extension of (1), I'd give him a life outside the Bat-Clan that he works to maintain. Tim himself said several years ago that he didn't want to be Robin forever. Then he should question whether Batting around is something he wants to do.
    (3) For Heavens' sake, pull BACK on the Reed Richards/Tony Stark Super-Genius crap. He can be related to as a computer nerd, even a talented hacker--but this Intellectual Omega-Caste genuflection and making everyone else around him look like idiots is alienating a lot of people (like me) from him.
    (4) Being an "Olympic-Level Gymnast" takes a LOT of training. Even Dick Grayson is probably not an "Olympic-Level" gymnast. To just SAY that Tim is this great gymnastic wonder without SHOWING his struggles to get there is very off-putting. It's like the Greek myth of Zeus getting hit in the head with a hammer or something and then Athena springs forth from his forehead, full-grown and all-wise.
    (5) He should have a place besides just "The Only Smart Kid". I have a big problem with Dick and Jason (and even Bruce) suddenly turning into complete imbeciles whenever he's around.
    (6) The writer just saying something to the effect of: "Tim is the true heir of Bruce Wayne." The big rule of writing is "Show--Don't Tell" and some fanboy writer telling me that does not show me why Tim deserves that place more Damian Wayne, the biological son.

And this is just the tip of iceberg for all the fixes Tim needs. I could come up with a LOT more.
    A lot of it all boils down to DC's LAZINESS in dealing with Tim. They want to shove all these characters into pre-selected slots and roles: Dick is the athletic one. Jason is the homicidal one. Tim is the smart one. Damian is the one with the bad attitude. Duke is the black one. Babs/Steph/Cass/Harper are the girl ones. We're getting nothing beyond round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes. Lazy.
    Last edited by oasis1313; 11-07-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Forget some people you mean his writer. Tynion thinks it's brag worthy hence why he's writing it This is the Tim until some other writer takes over.

I actually think the Red Robin name is worth keeping just because Tim has done so much under the name