Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Default Rumor: Rocksteady's Next Project Is a Superman Game

Rumor: Rocksteady's Next Project Is a Superman Game, Reveal Coming Next Week.

It has literally been ages since we’ve gotten a good Superman game. We dare not bring up the likes of Superman Returns or Superman 64, just because it’s so damn depressing. Fortunately, if this rumor turns out to be true, we’ll have a hell of a return for the Man of Steel.

A poster over at the 4chan (yeah, we know, but 4chan has been right before) recently posited that Game Informer is preparing to announce the game that will be featured on the cover of its December issue – and that game is the next project from Rocksteady Studios, the creators of the Batman Arkham trilogy. What’s more, this game will apparently feature Superman.

“Game Informer cover game will be revealed next week. It will be Rocksteady’s Superman game. The scale and the ambition of the game is massive, you all will be blown away by the details. Can’t wait to see your reaction, lads.”

So far, reaction to the rumors on the forums have been mixed, with some people clearly stating that it’s a lie (“Spoiler alert: it won’t be”) and others taking a more cynical route (“SUPER STRENGTH, COLD BREATH, LASER VISION AS DLC”). Others, though, have been positive, hoping the rumor is true. After all, if anyone can justify Superman’s return to video games, it’s the team that did the same for Batman.

But what do we know about Rocksteady's next project?

What we've heard so far...

The developer behind the Batman Arkham games has been teasing their project for some time, explaining how fans will “lose their minds” when they finally see it. The confirmation of a Superman game would definitely have that effect on us.

That said, we’ve seen rumors about other Rocksteady projects that were in the works that never came to fruition, including a Suicide Squad game, a Ninja Turtles game (how cool would that have been?!) and even a Wonder Woman game. The full speculation roundup can be found here.

4chan isn’t exactly the most trusted source, so take this rumor with a very heavy grain of salt. Game Informer’s cover reveal isn’t too far off, so we’ll let you know if we’ll be flying high with the Man of Steel again soon enough.

In the meantime, is a Superman game from Rocksteady even something you'd want to see, or should they move on from Superhero games? Let us know in the poll below!

BANNED

I tried to play the Arkham games but unfortunately I suck too much at video games to make any progress.

If this turns out to be true, there better be a super easy mode for people like me. I'd hate to miss out on a Superman game, one that's actually good

So frakin' psyched for this!

This has been grinding in the rumour mill for a long time, so I'm glad to see that there may actually be something happening.

Rocksteady_Superman_01.jpg

This was the image that was teased months (years?) ago that was supposed to be from the game.

I really need this to be a thing.

It would be awesome! I really want a Superman game. If true its a good addition to 80th Anniversary. This is like a dream come true. (If it is true).

Incredible Member

A Rocksteady Superman rumour seems to pop up, what, every 8-12 months for the last 5 years? I'll believe it when I see it. And if they day ever comes, yes, I'll be so so excited (as long as it's a game as true to character as the Batman ones and not some Injustice-y Elseworld thing).

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a Justice League game with Superman as one of the characters to play, which would be appropriate since there is a movie coming.

I would love it if Rocksteady did a Superman game. They really captured the feel of Batman in the Arkham games. So I hope they can do the same for Superman. I've been hearing this rumor for a long time. I hope it actually pans out. We'll see.

I like Rocksteady's Batman games, but I do hope they simply don't just use the Arkham model to make a Superman game, despite my joke that a good Superman game would just be to re-skin an Arkham game and put in a god mode. Can't skimp out on the flight, super-speed (and not just ability to travel fast like in DCUO), and super senses.

This would be the best thing ever if true, the Arkham games are my favorite superhero adaptation of pretty much anything. But I doubt it.

I agree that there have been so many rumors about Rocksteady doing a Superman game that I'm hesitant to take this at face-value, especially with how many false-starts the property has had on a video game front, but I would absolutely love it if it were true.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I tried to play the Arkham games but unfortunately I suck too much at video games to make any progress.

If this turns out to be true, there better be a super easy mode for people like me. I'd hate to miss out on a Superman game, one that's actually good
    The secret to playing the Arkham games is to try to be as big of a dick as possible to the badguys. Don't worry, they deserve fist beating you give them. I have no remorse when I bean a guy in the head with a Baterang cause they're all assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    The secret to playing the Arkham games is to try to be as big of a dick as possible to the badguys. Don't worry, they deserve fist beating you give them. I have no remorse when I bean a guy in the head with a Baterang cause they're all assholes.
    My friend disagrees with me, but what's beautiful about the action in Arkham games is that in addition to two difficulty settings (or at least there are two in the first two games), the real challenge in the game is going from learning how to beat up bad guys to learning how to beat them up with style. The game finds a way to reward the player for wanting to get better at it, not taking damage, and having perfectly flowing combos. So addictive...

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I really, REALLY, hope this comes to pass! Injustice has not been good for his reputation lately and a good Superman game would go a long way to restoring some good will with the general public. Plus, they always do tie-in comics with these things so I look forward to that!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by _Feely_ View Post
    So frakin' psyched for this!

This has been grinding in the rumour mill for a long time, so I'm glad to see that there may actually be something happening.

It would be such a great 80th anniversary project if Rocksteady does in fact release a Superman video game in 2018 with as much effort and care as they did with the ARKHAM ASYLUM game for Batman's 70th anniversary in 2009.

Rocksteady_Superman_01.jpg

This was the image that was teased months (years?) ago that was supposed to be from the game.

Unfortunately, that is an image from the unused / never developed Superman game from WB Montreal Games, not Rocksteady. Which is both a good thing / bad thing kind of deal: Good thing: Rocksteady will probably NOT use the high-collar armor of New 52 Superman as the main skin; Bad thing: who knows how far behind they are if there isn't even a sneak peak still or pre-production design available to whet our appetites.

I really need this to be a thing.

As do I. I want a GREAT Superman video game even more than I want another GREAT Superman movie ... because I've never had one of the former before. I've watched 3 great (IMHO) rewatchable Superman films (STM, SII, and yes MOS), but played 0 even very good Superman video games in my lifetime. I want that to change.

Here's to hope ...

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

How long DOES it take to make a video game, anyway? If they haven't even started it yet, I don't think we're getting it by next year.
    Assassinate Putin!