Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cerulean Scarab View Post
    Another idea would be something similar to Nintendo's recent Zelda game. And Clark_Kent, maybe you'd appreciate this too. :P

You start off with a fully powered Superman, and leave the player free to solve various stories and missions however they like, being sure to design them in such a way that a lot of creativity is available to the player.

Simple scenario: Terrorists have taken the Daily Planet hostage, and you have to subdue them without any casualties.

Possible paths:

Brazen players can charge in. The game can do a cool thing here. If a bullet is fired at a civillian, it enters a super-speed mode, where the world slows down for several seconds while Supes moves normally. You can catch bullets or move civillians out of harms way. And beat up the bad guys in traditional gameplay.

If the player is creative, they can use heat vision to set off the sprinkler system for a distraction. Even more creative players might combine their x-ray vision, find the building's water main, and heat that up. Now the sprinklers are spewing steam and the hostages have a good chance of escaping on their own, unnoticed, leaving less work for you.

Or a player can use ice breath to create barriers to shield hostages. Or freeze enemies. Lazy and slightly irresponsible players can freeze breath the hostages. If they're frozen in a block of ice, the terrorists can't shoot them.

Maybe a player doesnt even go inside. They flight around the outside of the building, blasting the terrorists from the outside with heat vision.

Maybe they just punch a hole in the wall, use freeze breath to create a platform, and allow the hostages to run out.

Or, again with the super speed mode, Supes flies through the window, grabbing a hostage, and placing them safely on the street below.

While this is happening, you can use super-hearing to hear footsteps, enemy plans, or hostages talking about their location.

In other missions, allow the player to do the kinds of ridiculous things only Superman can do. Is the Atomic Skull irradiating Metropolis just by standing around? Grab him by the collar and fly him to the moon to fight him without fear of collateral damage.

You could also use the Phantom Zone projector for shenanigans. Suck up a security robot, fly it to the mission area, and let it loose on the general mooks.

It would take a lot of development time to make work, but there's a lot of potential there, I think. >_>
    This is an excellent idea! And would work well using the DCUO control style, imo. And I've spent so much time playing Zelda BotW. Heck, I'm STILL playing it!

It's an especially good idea to have it feel open and start off small. The player needs to learn the controls/environment, and this is a good way to do it. Plus it feels more like the comics (where the first part consists of things Superman can easily take care of, and builds to more as things progress).

Another idea could be a "solar battery" meter - usually it's no problem, but you do see it go down a tiny bit when you use powers before it goes back up again... but when you fight something like Doomsday and are consistently using more meter, it becomes more of a concern.
    Last edited by JAK; 05-09-2018 at 02:22 AM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Have you guys seen God of War 4?
    The director did namedrop Superman II as inspiration for the opening fight scene between Kratos and the Stranger.

BANNED

About dawn time, if you ask me.
    We need to understand that DC is not only Bat-god.

Everytime I hear this rumour, my heart swells. I'm not giving up the hope hah.

I agree it's about time we get a great Superman game for a new generation. I've seen a ton of ideas over the years online and I feel that it could not only be done well, but be incredibly creative by thinking outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    But the one costume which no one talks about and is one of my favorites is this one.

I love this costume. Its a shame that the only place i can see it is in that early action run of New 52.

In fact, i think the game developers can develop an awesome game from how Superman operated in the early issues of New-52 Action run. Flying Superman can be a challenge to get right. Making that exciting to play can be difficult to achieve in a game, though not impossible. But this Superman can be so exciting.
    I absolutely love the Superboy 52 costume. I'd actually start off the game as this Superman with several powers, but not at the full strength that we're used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerulean Scarab View Post
    Another idea would be something similar to Nintendo's recent Zelda game. And Clark_Kent, maybe you'd appreciate this too. :P

You start off with a fully powered Superman, and leave the player free to solve various stories and missions however they like, being sure to design them in such a way that a lot of creativity is available to the player.

Simple scenario: Terrorists have taken the Daily Planet hostage, and you have to subdue them without any casualties.

Possible paths:

Brazen players can charge in. The game can do a cool thing here. If a bullet is fired at a civillian, it enters a super-speed mode, where the world slows down for several seconds while Supes moves normally. You can catch bullets or move civillians out of harms way. And beat up the bad guys in traditional gameplay.

If the player is creative, they can use heat vision to set off the sprinkler system for a distraction. Even more creative players might combine their x-ray vision, find the building's water main, and heat that up. Now the sprinklers are spewing steam and the hostages have a good chance of escaping on their own, unnoticed, leaving less work for you.

Or a player can use ice breath to create barriers to shield hostages. Or freeze enemies. Lazy and slightly irresponsible players can freeze breath the hostages. If they're frozen in a block of ice, the terrorists can't shoot them.

Maybe a player doesnt even go inside. They flight around the outside of the building, blasting the terrorists from the outside with heat vision.

Maybe they just punch a hole in the wall, use freeze breath to create a platform, and allow the hostages to run out.

Or, again with the super speed mode, Supes flies through the window, grabbing a hostage, and placing them safely on the street below.

While this is happening, you can use super-hearing to hear footsteps, enemy plans, or hostages talking about their location.

In other missions, allow the player to do the kinds of ridiculous things only Superman can do. Is the Atomic Skull irradiating Metropolis just by standing around? Grab him by the collar and fly him to the moon to fight him without fear of collateral damage.

You could also use the Phantom Zone projector for shenanigans. Suck up a security robot, fly it to the mission area, and let it loose on the general mooks.

It would take a lot of development time to make work, but there's a lot of potential there, I think. >_>
    I love everything about this post. I really love the idea of a Superman game giving you creative freedom in how to solve problems.

Thoughts:

-A while ago, I saw a user post about how to have Clark Kent levels basically be like Metal Gear Solid. Either through a series of side missions or a main story mission, you're chasing leads as Clark. You have to sneak around to collect information, and/ or discreetly use your powers to solve issues. If you are discovered, it's a game over. For example, say you're tracking a thug and they catch you, they'll open fire and either hit civilians or Clark. Some scenarios would have them discover the S and then a stylized game over would appear.

These sections would help move the story along and get extras. I would love a Superman game to connect both aspects of his character. The Spider-man PS4 game that's on the horizon states that it'll utilize both Pete and Spidey, so I think that's certainly possible for a Superman game. There's a ton of possibilities for the journalism angle.

-Multiple costumes spanning Clark's history are a must.

-I'd like to go for a tone that's adventurous and has peril, but isn't yet another, super (pun-not intended) grim adventure. This shouldn't have Superman desperate and on the run from a world that hates and fears him. I want there to be challenges and drama, yes, but I want some optimism and hope.

-I'm absolutely fine with a TAS power level

-Others have suggested a hybrid or context specific health bar. You can have the threats to the city with a city health bar like in the Superman Returns game, but when facing like Parasite, special Luthor mercs, Live Wire etc, you've got your own bar.

-I like the idea of random crimes and opportunities to help people.

-Kind of random, but I kind of like a style points element for combat. Something that would allot XP for certain achievements in battle like avoiding any property damage, inspiring the crowd or defeating an enemy with a string of combos and the final shot is particularly dynamic (then you'll have Jimmy take a snap shot and it'll be on the front page with a small preview of what Lois writes up). The dynamic shot bonus points thing was inspired by my recent reading of Superman: Birthright when he shields himself and ababy by taking the gigantic S-Shield and blocking a blast from Luthor's agents. Lois and all of Metropolis loved that, so why not let us enjoy something cool? Heh.
    Voice Actor and Symbiote Fanatic -- Hoping for Anti-Venom's return daily.

So many ideas bandied about here and there.

That stated, here’s hoping that this is indeed a Superman game and not just a Batman game with Superman as a guest character.
    Last edited by Rod G; 05-17-2018 at 01:38 AM.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Repost from the DC Comics sub-forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
    Not sure if any of you guys have played this:

Megaton Rainfall: Looks like a really awesome Superman simulator....doesn't have anything to do with DC, but I think they can learn a few things from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I hope it is but that article raises a good point. We’ve had a similar rumor about GI Superman cover and it was fake. I just want to know what Rocksteady are up to, so we can put these rumors to rest.

I'm really not sure if I want to believe in another Rocksteady Superman game reveal...but I dunno, between this and the earlier E3 teasing...

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

The one "oh, that's interesting..." aspect that gives this something vaguely like plausibility compared to the other 'leaks' is that the domain name was reregistered back in February, and I could easily imagine that being something WB periodically does on its own.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I've been a cynic thus far and I wouldn't go so far as to say this necessarily changes that, but interesting: on reddit, the dude who leaked the existence of Fallout 76 shortly before its announcement has said his understanding (from "not my usual source", he does point out as a word of caution) is that Rocksteady Superman is real.
    Buh-bye

Weirdly, at this point, this whole thing feels like the climax of 1983's RETURN OF THE JEDI:

Where Luke Skywalker is the eternal hope of fans for a good Superman video game, the Emperor is eternal fear of fans that we'll never get a good Superman video game, the Death Star Throne Room is the E3 convention ...

And Darth Vader is Rocksteady Games.

If Rocksteady doesn't step in during E3, our fear will eradicate our hope for ever getting a good Superman video game. And right now our video game hope is getting thrashed, begging for Rocksteady to do something. And Rocksteady is looking at the video game hope and back at the video game fear and back at the hope, trying to make up its mind if it really wants to do this.

I'm probably reading way too much into it, but man, I want a great Rocksteady Superman video game so badly that if E3 comes and goes and still nothing official from Rocksteady, then I'm done hoping after that.

It feels like it's been a while since WB had something big to announce at E3.

I mean, I'm looking forward to the Lego DC Villains game, but I think they need to bring something big to the table. Especially with Marvel/Insomniac's Spider-Man coming full force to E3 this year.

So I think a Rocksteady Superman game would definitely fit the bill.

I've said this over and over but I'd really like to be able to do some large-scale superfeats in a Superman game. Just go nuts with it, support collapsing skyscrapers with your bare hands, fly deep into the earth to shift tectonic plates to dissipate earthquakes, knock out entire hurricanes, neutralize nuclear explosions. That on top of being able to fight off invasions by Brainiac and Darkseid, battle Zod in the sky and throw window-shattering haymakers with Doomsday, and I don't know how in the world anyone could ever find the concept of a Superman game unappealing.

Astonishing Member

I really can't see this project happen anytime soon.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021