View Poll Results: Dan Slott, Keep On Or Take Off Amazing Spider-Man?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep

34 36.17%
  • Take Off

60 63.83%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Dan Slott, Keep On Or Take Off Amazing Spider-Man?

You all know Dan Slott, and what he's bought to Spider-Man for the last 10 years+, good and bad.

So I see no need to go into who he is. Except to ask, given his history on the book and that he as written Spider-Man for so long is it time to take him off it or keep him.

Depends.
    If Slott being away from Spider-Man means he'll write more interesting characters, like Cloud-9 and her secret origins, or Gauntlet and Southpaw in the Reckoning War, then yes, take him off the webspinner.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

KEEP HIM. Slott is an excellent writer for Spider-Man. Best thing that has happened to Spidey in a decade.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

If he has plenty of more ideas, let him 'ship them off to other writers and co-ordinate everything from a consultant's position. Sometimes it's better for everyone not to necessarily lead from the front.

I don't think this is a yes or no question, since it seems to exist on a spectrum from the most extreme anti-Slott view ("Marvel should announce immediately that he has been fired, and will be replaced, with all of his already completed work deleted from their hard drives") to the most extreme pro-Slott ("He should be chained to a chair writing Spider-Man comics even if he no longer wants to.") I'm Pro-Slott, but not quite to that extent.

I think it's smart for Marvel to keep him around. He is writing their best-selling ongoing book, and right now he's providing the payoff to plot threads established some time ago (no one else has spent as much time thinking about what Norman Osborn is up to.)

On a more long term thing, the editors should probably have a conversation with him about where he wants to go later. If his ideas aren't that interesting (and I have no idea what those internal discussions are like), it could be time to encourage him to wind down his run, as they figure out who to hire next.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't think this is a yes or no question, since it seems to exist on a spectrum from the most extreme anti-Slott view ("Marvel should announce immediately that he has been fired, and will be replaced, with all of his already completed work deleted from their hard drives") to the most extreme pro-Slott ("He should be chained to a chair writing Spider-Man comics even if he no longer wants to.") I'm Pro-Slott, but not quite to that extent......
    My thoughts exactly.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

(no one else has spent as much time thinking about what Norman Osborn is up to.)
    Because everyone's exhausted their storytelling options with him and he deserves a long rest. Hell he's more in need of transferring to another book than MJ.

All Slott seems to be doing with him is regurgitating the mystic power trip he went on in the 90s.

I think Slott's best days on ASM, creatively and commercially, are behind him. I would like to see a new creative team take the wheels.

I don't want you to think I hate Slott. I do believe Slott should launch another high profile book for Marvel. I think he's capable of a great Fantastic Four run. (The FF was THE Stan Lee/Jack Kirby title for about a decade and launched the Marvel Universe as we know it. It deserves first class treatment from Marvel, and I think Slott could provide such to it.)

As long as the writing continues to be good and makes the company money then he is not going anywhere until the bigwigs find a new (in)experienced college writer to take the mantle, which would also be a good thing because variety is the spice of life and all that.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

I don't think this is a yes or no question, since it seems to exist on a spectrum from the most extreme anti-Slott view ("Marvel should announce immediately that he has been fired, and will be replaced, with all of his already completed work deleted from their hard drives") to the most extreme pro-Slott ("He should be chained to a chair writing Spider-Man comics even if he no longer wants to.") I'm Pro-Slott, but not quite to that extent.

I think it's smart for Marvel to keep him around. He is writing their best-selling ongoing book, and right now he's providing the payoff to plot threads established some time ago (no one else has spent as much time thinking about what Norman Osborn is up to.)

On a more long term thing, the editors should probably have a conversation with him about where he wants to go later. If his ideas aren't that interesting (and I have no idea what those internal discussions are like), it could be time to encourage him to wind down his run, as they figure out who to hire next.
    Very fair point.

Personally, I don't like his brand of Spidey, so I don't really want to see him stay, however, given that I'm not sure I would read the series even if he did leave, it's probably not very fair of me to vote on this. However, Slott is a major factor in my reasons for embargoing 616 ASM from my collection and reading list.

(Not sure how useful the discussion is; so far, the word is Slott is still here to stay and has zero intentions of leaving.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

i have no special feelings either way. there's a lot of variety in the spider-verse right now with ryv and the new spec spider-man. seems like you can get your fix, somewhere. i don't understand the fixation with asm.
    troo fan or death

iMan 42s

If ASM was the only thing that was published or perhaps we got back to two or three titles then maybe.
    Dan isn't going anywhere unless he wants to leave. We have plenty of titles right now and Dan keeps trying to open doors for other writers to do things in that sandbox so one can ignore ASM for good periods of time assuming they want to.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Fantastic Member

While I feel personally ready for a new voice, I don’t wish anyone out of a job. Especially someone who has exceeded all expectations over the last decade. Therefore, I’d say yes, provided Slott has something else to do. Maybe relaunch Fantastic Four, or a Marvel Team Up book.

Astonishing Member

As somebody that have been enjoying the Dan Slott stories in Amazing Spider-Man since the start of Brand New Day i think he should keep on writing the stories of Amazing Spider-Man.
    All though i am intrigued to know if ,after Silver Surfer he will be writing another comic book besides Amazing Spider-Man,i would like to read another comic book by Dan Slott as well.

Dan Slott hasn't written a good Spidey story in a long time. It's time for a fresh face to take the reins.