View Poll Results: Dan Slott, Keep On Or Take Off Amazing Spider-Man?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep

34 36.17%
  • Take Off

60 63.83%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Profnewell View Post
    I really love Slott's work on Amazing. I say keep him for another 10 years.
    Biggest reasons?
    1) Long term plot seeding and payoffs
    2) Stories that incorporate plots/storylines from past decades (tying the book together over the decades)
    3) Interesting events
    1) The pay-offs are rarely if ever worth it
    2) Nothing really glues the decades together considering this is an alternate universe posing as the mainline canon
    3) The events start off interesting, but have dissatisfying endings

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    There's fresh rumors of a third Peter Parker led book being developed for 2018, with Marvel allegedly planning to relaunch Miles Morales: Spider-Man and give the adjectiveless Spider-Man title back to Peter.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...vel-dc-comics/

If true, either Slott could go to that book, or they're definitely keen to keep Dan on ASM, but want even more fresh talent working on the character
    I don't see Marvel wanting to rock the boat right now. If they want to launch a new Peter Parker led solo Spider-Man title I think it will have a new team while Dan Slott remains on ASM.

(Even though I think that boat needs a good rocking right about now.)

There's fresh rumors of a third Peter Parker led book being developed for 2018, with Marvel allegedly planning to relaunch Miles Morales: Spider-Man and give the adjectiveless Spider-Man title back to Peter.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...vel-dc-comics/

If true, either Slott could go to that book, or they're definitely keen to keep Dan on ASM, but want even more fresh talent working on the character
    I don't even like Miles and I think think that'd be dirty af. Just call it Web of Spiderman!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

A THIRD Peter book? Four if you include RYV? Even I think that'd be over-kill LOL.

Astonishing Member

2) Nothing really glues the decades together considering this is an alternate universe posing as the mainline canon
    Marvel continuity have undergone retcons through decades now,and is not a retcon that makes the stories of Marvel suddenly to be a "alternative universe posing as the mainline canon"!
    When stories are set in a alternative universe is defined as that in the stories as MC2.
    If marvel stories changed to be set in a alternative universe because of a retcon then the Marvel stories would be set in a alternative universe ever since Avengers#4 (volume1) that have the first time a marvel story has a retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    A THIRD Peter book? Four if you include RYV? Even I think that'd be over-kill LOL.
    It has been the norm since 1976.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It has been the norm since 1976.
    I still think it's overkill LOL.

Dan Slott's Big Time and Superior run is still one of my favorite Spider-Man runs of all time but post-Superior I haven't enjoyed ASM that much at all. I think Dan Slott is great, love his Silver Surfer stuff alot...but maybe he has been on Spider-Man too long? I don't want to speak negatively about the guy, but I really didn't like the Peter Parker CEO stuff.

Spectacular Member

He has to go. His stories are tired retreads of other writers' much better stories. His version of the Clone Saga makes the earlier Clone Saga look like a Nobel Prize winner. His Superior is nothing but a bloated rip off of Kraven's Last Hunt that went on too long and ended with one of the stupidest endings I've seen: "Gee, where did the Green Goblin go? I could have sworn he was just here! Oh gosh darn it, that's just too bad but hey everyone I'm back through no effort of my own! Oh hi, girl who my body had sex with without my consent. Otto was a jerk. Let's be friends!" His Peter Parker is a unlikeable manbaby. Who wants to read about this loser? Less and less people is the answer looking at recent sales.

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    He has to go. His stories are tired retreads of other writers' much better stories. His version of the Clone Saga makes the earlier Clone Saga look like a Nobel Prize winner. His Superior is nothing but a bloated rip off of Kraven's Last Hunt that went on too long and ended with one of the stupidest endings I've seen: "Gee, where did the Green Goblin go? I could have sworn he was just here! Oh gosh darn it, that's just too bad but hey everyone I'm back through no effort of my own! Oh hi, girl who my body had sex with without my consent. Otto was a jerk. Let's be friends!" His Peter Parker is a unlikeable manbaby. Who wants to read about this loser? Less and less people is the answer looking at recent sales.
    I think Slott was never a good choice as a Spider-Man writer in the first place, but hasn't the series still been selling generally well? Much as we many loathe it, his work doesn't seem to have adversely affected the series in terms of finding readership to keep it afloat and in the upper half of things.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

^^^^
    Amazing Spider-Man is the best selling Marvel ongoing.
    Many times it gets to be in the Top 10 or at least in the Top 20.
    The odd times it is placed outside the Top 20,are exceptions to the way Amazing Spider-Man is selling compared to all the other comic books.

I've been bored of Slott for ages now. Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man has been a nice change of pace.

Although I will admit that Spider-Island is one of my favorite Spidey stories and it was penned by Slott.
    Last edited by Chocolate Starmie; 12-03-2017 at 06:00 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think Slott was never a good choice as a Spider-Man writer in the first place, but hasn't the series still been selling generally well?
    Spider-Man sells because it's Spider-Man.

BANNED

Spider-Man sells because it's Spider-Man.
    Sigh really? Seriously how many times are you going to pretend that is true when history shows that its simply not as simple as that?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Sigh really? Seriously how many times are you going to pretend that is true when history shows that its simply not as simple as that?
    I know. It just shows how anti-Slott fans want to have it both ways.

When it's pointed out that Slott's run has been a consistently high seller, they want to say that Spider-Man sells well only because it's Spider-Man and Slott has absolutely nothing to do with the book's success.

Then they turn around and claim that Spider-Man would be selling much better with someone else on the book - even though they just got done claiming that it doesn't really matter who the writer is.

If Spider-Man will sell well regardless of who's writing (not true, by the way), where's the incentive for Marvel to ever switch out Slott if he wants to stay?

The bottom line is, Slott's Spidey has been very popular. Does everyone love it? No. But no run since Stan left has been universally acclaimed.

When Slott feels like he's out of stories to tell or when Marvel feels like they want to change direction, then Slott will be out and not before.