Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    By this logic, there would be no reason to make any movie based on a character the audience largely doesn't know about.
    But what was the last adaptation of an obscure character that succeeded at the box office? You could make a case for GotG and Ant-Man, but they had the power of the MCU franchise behind them. If people don't recognize Red Sonja (and I think that they do), then she could be the next John Carter.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Momoa was a perfect Conan. Arnold was just a big, dumb, slow pile of muscles. Not like Howard's Conan at all. Arnold was basically just playing a Frazetta cover.
    I don't about Howard's Conan but in terms of box-office,reviews and pop culture history Arnold killed it. You're more likely to see him reprise that role than a Momoa sequel i'll tell you that.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

As a woman, i would be pissed off if they did a Red Sonja movie in the vein of Ragnarok. Also she can have sex appeal with out the chain mail bikini. But i would put a reference to it. Like Luke Cage did to powerman suit in the Netflix show. And yes it needs gratuitous nudity and blood, and be a straight faced sword and sorcery movie.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Momoa was a perfect Conan. Arnold was just a big, dumb, slow pile of muscles. Not like Howard's Conan at all. Arnold was basically just playing a Frazetta cover.
    This i agree with this....

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    But what was the last adaptation of an obscure character that succeeded at the box office? You could make a case for GotG and Ant-Man, but they had the power of the MCU franchise behind them. If people don't recognize Red Sonja (and I think that they do), then she could be the next John Carter.
    John Carter didn't bomb because people didn't recognise him. People thought Iron Man was doomed before the movie came out due to relative obscurity (the lead being one of the most radioactive people in Hollywood at the time didn't help either).

I didn't see Mamoa's Conan and I never read the Conan comics, but I thought that Arnold's Conan was as uneducated and "barbaric" as someone with his background would have been. To me, he had a drive and belief in his god while essentially only beginning to understand the world outside of his limited experience. It wasn't Hamlet, but I thought it made sense.

Ultimate Member

Love it or hate it but Arnold's version is probably the one that most people think of when they think of Conan...Momoa's movie just seemed to be a guy with a sword by comparison...and yeah you'd have to include the violence, sex, nudity, and all of that as for the bikini, it could come up in one way or another, maybe she'd have to sneak into some leader's lair and go in through his harem or something or sneak in with a group of entertainers at a banquet and then have to fight her way out...

Never read the Howard Conan stories or any Conan comics, loved the Arnold movies, couldn't bother to finish the Mamoa movie (though no fault of the actor's, he was decent, but writing/directing/something just kind of sucked for me).

A cool (funny) way to reference the chainmail bikini is to have some baddies attack her just as she was undressing, and it turns out that's her undergarments underneath the more practical outfit.
    At least I think it'd be a funny way to reference it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

A cool (funny) way to reference the chainmail bikini is to have some baddies attack her just as she was undressing, and it turns out that's her undergarments underneath the more practical outfit.
    At least I think it'd be a funny way to reference it.
    in the comics she is supposed to been blessed with the power to not be able to be defeated by any man.

She wears that because she doesnt need armor.

Ultimate Member

Sounds like another case of "male writers comes up with cheap/flimsy excuse to justify his love of fanservice" honestly. As someone else above mentioned, if the movie is a R-rated Conan-esque film with lots of blood and sex and nudity (which ideally it should be imo), then there's no reason to make her actual armor (or her character in-general) that stupid.

Something like the Amazons in WW, or Xena, could give you your "sex appeal" while still being somewhat more befitting of a warrior like her.

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Minimum money it needs to be a global succes?

BANNED

John Carter didn't fail because people didn't know who he was. It failed because the promotion campaign completely misrepresented the movie.

As for successful adaptions of obscure non-Marvel/DC comics...
    Atomic Blonde
    Kingsman
    Oblivion

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    in the comics she is supposed to been blessed with the power to not be able to be defeated by any man.

She wears that because she doesnt need armor.
    I've heard that reasoning used for a few characters that have skimpy costumes and it's never made sense. I think it's better to just admit that it's done for aesthetic purposes.

Invincible Member

John Carter didn't fail because people didn't know who he was. It failed because the promotion campaign completely misrepresented the movie.

As for successful adaptions of obscure non-Marvel/DC comics...
    Atomic Blonde
    Kingsman
    Oblivion
    Don't forget Men in Black, 30 Days of Night, and Kick Ass

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I don't recall anything about Sonja being undefeatable by a man... would make for a pretty uninteresting story, if true.

There was a bit about how she would never have sex with any man unless he defeated her in battle first. That was also removed from continuity during the Gail Simone era, along with quite a bit of other gratuitously sexist baggage the character had been saddled with for years.

IIRC under Simone she kept the chainmail bikini, although it wasn't like the stripper outfit some previous artists had given her. And she dressed appropriately for her environment. (In earlier versions she was perfectly likely to walk through arctic snowfields in that bikini.)

As I said, the bikini probably won't fly in a movie, but neither will putting her in a pants suit. Wonder Woman, Xena, and the 1985 version of Sonja are all perfectly good templates to use for her costume.