Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    As a comics character, she has always had some variation of the chainmail bikini. (Robert E. Howard's original "Red Sonya" had no real connection to this character apart from the name.) Some writers, like Gail Simone have tried to tone that down and have her dress more logically for her environment, but the cover art at least has usually featured the CMB. I don't know whether that's at the behest of the Lieberman family (which owns the character) or Dynamite Comics.
    In that case, I'd probably have an easier time dealing with the character from the Howard reference rather than the comic or Frazetta reference. But I still think if there were R rated nude scenes it would sell huge, if the sci-fi fantasy elements were done well.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I believe the Howard character only appeared in one story, and that was set in the 16th century or something. She might make an interesting basis for adaptation, but you probably wouldn't want to call her "Red Sonya."

Extraordinary Member

If she doesn't have the bikini I'm out

But pictures and videos of women in bikinis are plentiful and free on the Internet. Regardless of what kind of metallic swimwear is on display, this movie can't succeed unless there are brilliant creative minds involved. And that is not the case.

Courtney Solomon gave us the Dungeons & Dragons movie.

Ultimate Member

That was one film, I'm not going to write a person off completely for just one.

As for her outfit, they might go for a more Xena-like look, or the Amazons from Wonder Woman. Still showing skin, but a bit more practical. Also there's probably an audience for a R-rated, badass, irreverent, female warrior who kicks butt and has a "rougher" personality. It's, not something that you see all that often on film really.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I believe the Howard character only appeared in one story, and that was set in the 16th century or something. She might make an interesting basis for adaptation, but you probably wouldn't want to call her "Red Sonya."
    Many years ago I heard somewhere (forget where) that it's pronounced SOHN-jaw

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    That was one film, I'm not going to write a person off completely for just one.
    I honestly did not know who this guy was, and I actually saw D&D in the theater. Looking him up...yeah he's basically the spiritual successor to Uwe Boll. He's only directed three movies (D&D, An American Haunting, and Getaway), all box office bombs. He's essentially a producer these days, with most if not all of the movies he's produced being bombs as well (and I'm assuming "most" just to be fair, I'm actually trying to find one that did decently excluding direct to DVD movies). He's the founder of "After Dark" and their output has been pretty decent, like a notch or two above Full Moon IMO, but he's just a founder he doesn't producer/direct/write any of the movies.

So yeah attaching him to a project, any project, that studios want to turn a profit and make a franchise, might be a bad idea...unless its direct to DVD. He's responsible for the two Universal Soldier d2d movies and the first D&D sequel (he had nothing to do with the second).

Invincible Member

There was supposed to be a Red Sonja movie starring Rose McGowan a few years back, I can't remember exactly what happened though. i think it was first delayed because she got hurt, then by the time she was better they lost funding?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    You wouldn't need a big budget and I could see something like a glorified B-movie happening here. More like Blade/Dredd/Deadpool less like hundreds of millions WB blockbuster. Sorry, I just dropped in spontaneously and have no idea what kind of movie is happening.
    I think it could succeed if they go with an unapologetic b movie and embrace the things that made the char popular. Amy Chu is writing a pretty good series right now with Carlos Gomez on the art. Kinda like a time jump thing probably could work in a movie.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 11-05-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Don't think so. She's not as PC as WW.
    They'll probably tone down the sexuality to keep it PC.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I think it could succeed if they go with an unapologetic b movie and embrace the things that made the char popular. Amy Chu is writing a pretty good series right now with Carlos Gomez on the art. Kinda like a time jump thing probably could work in a movie.
    Gail Simone wrote a good run as well. And I could see that character like that appealing to people.

I read the Red Sonja comics for many years but I didn't bother with the current reboot. The character is just kinda boring, TBH. She speaks in that old-timey "Conanesque" style and there really isn't much humor to her. I never really found her very compelling. When I was younger, yeah... I admit I was into the chainmail bikini. But nowadays I need more than that.

I'm not certain, but I get the feeling that the owners of the property are pretty strict about how they want the character portrayed. Not much going outside the box seems to be allowed. At least Gail Simone retconned out the "demon gang rape" origin story.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Gail Simone wrote a good run as well. And I could see that character like that appealing to people.
    Might have to get that. If anything they've got a lot of stories to build the movie on.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    It already has been about 30yrs ago. But an updated version could work but WW probably already stole her thunder.
    I remember that film with Bridget Nielson as Sonja and Arnie along for the ride as a Conan-like character who they couldn’t actually call Conan.

Maybe it is time for a update but then remember how poorly received the Conan remake was a few years back though I liked it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Maybe it is time for a update but then remember how poorly received the Conan remake was a few years back though I liked it.
    Meh.

I really did not like the movie itself, and in the finale it forgot it was a movie instead of a platform jumper, but it got the character of Conan far better than the Arnold movies, which made up for a lot.