Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    I’m going to have to agree with blackspidey2099 on this. While I don’t like most of what Slott’s done, what I can say I like is his focus on Peter’s genius. Is it over exaggerated? Yeah, I’ll admit that. But it’s also just fun.
    Yeah, that is easily my favorite thing Slott has done with Peter. And it's about time, too. The only other writer who wrote Peter using his genius was Stan Lee, LOL.

And I don't really think it is over-exaggerated when we look at it in context. If Slott had tried to portray Peter as a regular genius, he would just come off completely unremarkable like he has an average intelligence - such is the nature of over-inflated intellects in the MU. Unless Marvel completely reboots and gives ALL their characters more realistic levels of intelligence (which would, IMO, ruin the fun since none of their characters would be able to build any sort of tech or whatever without huge design teams), I think the intelligence level Slott has portrayed Peter with is good (if not too little).

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    he should probably return his powers to the radioactive spider while he's at it.
    Totally different. Otto did the work and blackmailed the professor and Peter is taking credit for it with zero guilt. The spider is an irreversible accident.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rhino View Post
    Totally different. Otto did the work and blackmailed the professor and Peter is taking credit for it with zero guilt. The spider is an irreversible accident.
    i think we should ask the spider how he feels about that
    troo fan or death

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Yeah, that is easily my favorite thing Slott has done with Peter. And it's about time, too. The only other writer who wrote Peter using his genius was Stan Lee, LOL.

And I don't really think it is over-exaggerated when we look at it in context. If Slott had tried to portray Peter as a regular genius, he would just come off completely unremarkable like he has an average intelligence - such is the nature of over-inflated intellects in the MU. Unless Marvel completely reboots and gives ALL their characters more realistic levels of intelligence (which would, IMO, ruin the fun since none of their characters would be able to build any sort of tech or whatever without huge design teams), I think the intelligence level Slott has portrayed Peter with is good (if not too little).
    True. Stan did have him invent items (not just the webs and shooters, but the tracers, signal, and the electromagnetic disrupter he used to defeat Vulture), and most everyone else forgets that element.

That’s why I’m good with Horizon Labs (though I do think he should have worked a bit more for that job, rather than string-pulling) and to a lesser degree, Parker Industries. I can’t stand Superior Spider-Man, but Parker Industries was an interesting concept. Peter definitely has the science know-how to run a company, but he doesn’t have the business smarts.

Fantastic Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, I still have to scan the issue I’m thinking of, and I also recall an issue circa mid 2000s (maybe The Other) where he tells Sue Storm his degree was in chemistry, so for me I’m pretty set on that until proven otherwise.

I like how Slott has shown Peter using his intelligence, comic book science is pretty sketchy but I would have preferred a bit more consistency.

I understand Peter can’t hand his doctorate back, but I find this plot to be utterly ridiculous. There were no negative consequences from superior for him, in fact he inherited a company full of patents and technology, AND a PhD.

roll with the punches, Pete. Admitting plagiarism is the kiss of death in the academic world. He can pursue another doctorate on his own now, sans Otto, if his "conscience" starts to get to him. Reed Richards has multiple doctorates.