16 30.19%
  • Ares

24 45.28%
  • Grail

1 1.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Who is Diana’s archenemy?

With all this grails nd darksied talk who is Diana’s real archenemy. Also is grail in the JL movie?

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Cheetah be a long shot. She has been presented the most often as Diana's arch-nemesis in the comics, cartoons, video games, etc. Plus - they both get their powers from gods. One strives for peace. The other strives for savagery.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Ares. He embodies everything Diana is not.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Ares is the force of nature villain. He's one who she can't outright get rid of.

Cheetah is the narrative villain with the personal vendetta against her, so yeah.

Astonishing Member

DC is the correct answer.

Astonishing Member

Silver Swan is the thinking mans choice.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I went with Ares because at the moment he's just her perfect opposite number. Diana fights for a world at peace. Ares wants everyone at each other's throats.

Cheetah could fit the bill with some solid stories underneath her. Circe could as well. Grail has the potential to be a true anti-Wonder Woman.

Honestly? Diana is such a multifaceted character that just about ALL of these characters oppose at least one of the ideals she embodies. Cheetah is Savagery to Diana's Civilization. Circe is the corruption of female power being wielded for selfish ends. Ares is War to her Peace. Grail? Too soon to say, but she could easily become the warrior woman who seeks to tear down the world rather than raise it up as Diana wishes.

Any of these characters have the option of being Diana's archenemy. Heck, properly handled, ALL of them could fit that bill. A hero doesn't necessarily need only one archenemy, after all.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Cheetah be a long shot. She has been presented the most often as Diana's arch-nemesis in the comics, cartoons, video games, etc. Plus - they both get their powers from gods. One strives for peace. The other strives for savagery.
    While Cheetah get the most media attention, I would argue Ares - and even Circe - have received more memorable representation. Ares in particular is the main villain in the Wonder Woman animated movie, the 2017 theatrical release and in the DC Super Hero Girls cartoon. Ares even received a dedicated episode in Justice League Unlimited and the first Injustice. Circe has gotten dedicated episodes in both JLU and JL Action.

Honestly, while Cheetah received more media representation, for me, most is forgettable. In JLU, the only legitimate and pivotal scene for Cheetah in JLU is with Batman. While she is in the opening credits for JLA, I can only remember her showing up in the shorts on Youtube. She received a great showing in Injustice 2 and, for me, her role in DC Super Hero Girls is just perfunctory and bland. That's not to say Cheetah can't receive more important and memorable media representation, but I think Wondy is going to have to get more Wondy dedicated exposure for Cheetah, and all her supporting cast and rogues, to get a chance to impact the public in a major way.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    While Cheetah get the most media attention, I would argue Ares - and even Circe - have received more memorable representation. Ares in particular is the main villain in the Wonder Woman animated movie, the 2017 theatrical release and in the DC Super Hero Girls cartoon. Ares even received a dedicated episode in Justice League Unlimited and the first Injustice. Circe has gotten dedicated episodes in both JLU and JL Action.

Honestly, while Cheetah received more media representation, for me, most is forgettable. In JLU, the only legitimate and pivotal scene for Cheetah in JLU is with Batman. While she is in the opening credits for JLA, I can only remember her showing up in the shorts on Youtube. She received a great showing in Injustice 2 and, for me, her role in DC Super Hero Girls is just perfunctory and bland. That's not to say Cheetah can't receive more important and memorable media representation, but I think Wondy is going to have to get more Wondy dedicated exposure for Cheetah, and all her supporting cast and rogues, to get a chance to impact the public in a major way.

The 2007 animated movie was somewhat laughable, especially Ares' part in it(a silver-haired mullet???). His portrayal in this year's movie was good but a bit too short to make me think of him as the DCEU's arch-nemesis for Diana. Cheetah has had good showings in Perez, Jimenez, and Rucka's 2nd run(just to name a few) plus she took on the Justice League single-handedly in Geoff Johns' run. She also had a good portrayal on Batman: The Brave & the Bold cartoon where she tossed around Superman like a rag doll.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Think Ares is too powerful to say he's her arch nemesis. She'd imo have to have regular collisions with him. He's a "big bad" as others have put it. That's like saying darkseid or d doomsday are supes' arch nemeses.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    DC is the correct answer.
    ...Yeah.

Or Kanigher (rest in peace)

From an official and iconographic standpoint, I think it's still Cheetah.

I mean always saw Diana due to her character each of her main villains are a different layer of who she is and what she stays for

Ares:The natural enemy

Cheetah: her twisted mirror

Circe: A goddess who just wants to have fun with the amazons and Diana.

I went with Ares, long time major WW foe, back when he was called Mars.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I mean always saw Diana due to her character each of her main villains are a different layer of who she is and what she stays for

Ares:The natural enemy

Cheetah: her twisted mirror

Circe: A goddess who just wants to have fun with the amazons and Diana.
    I would say Circe is more of the twisted mirror of Diana than Cheetah is. Both Diana and Circe are unbelievably powerful, both have direct links to the gods, Circe however relies on magic while Diana has might, and finally that while Diana is all about giving of herself and instilling equaltiy, Circe is self-centered and is about domination.