Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Sandman Mystery Theater help

I recently finished reading the first 12 issues of Sandman Mystery Theater, which I really enjoyed. Definitely gave me a different perspective on the early Golden Age stories.

Does the series continue to stay great or should I stop here while the quality is still good?

Thanks for the help.

In my opinion it was pretty consistent from start to finish. I pulled the series about a year ago with the intention of selling it but thought I should at least give the first story arc a re-read to be sure it wasn't something I'd one day regret getting rid of. I couldn't stop reading, finished the entire series and now regard it as a definite "keeper." I loved Wes and Dian's relationship--very unique, at least as far as comics go.

It's great throughout the run. Too bad DC cancelled those fat TPBs :/

One thing about the series that bothers me when I read it in large clumps: after a while, it sometimes seems like there's an over-reliance on sexual deviance/perversity among many of the villains that wouldn't be quite as blatant when reading the issues on the original monthly basis and mixed in with other comic books.
    Also, while I wasn't reading it back then, I have heard some people say the series lost something towards +/-issue #60 as Matt Wagner was leaving the book.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    One thing about the series that bothers me when I read it in large clumps: after a while, it sometimes seems like there's an over-reliance on sexual deviance/perversity among many of the villains that wouldn't be quite as blatant when reading the issues on the original monthly basis and mixed in with other comic books.
    Also, while I wasn't reading it back then, I have heard some people say the series lost something towards +/-issue #60 as Matt Wagner was leaving the book.
    Yeah, I have noticed a certain reliance upon rape, which was probably quite innovative at the time to see depicted in a superhero comic, but feels like a tired trope now. In the first 12 issues I read, there have been at least four separate rapes already, one of whom was of a little girl. Since the comic is meant to be a grittier, more adult take on the Mystery Men genre, I suppose it's appropriate, but I hope it doesn't become a crutch that's relied upon too much.

been a while since i've read the whole thing through but i loved the entire run. wagner does leave towards the end, but steven t. seagle had been the co-writer for awhile at that point. love me some steven t. seagle.

i won't spoil anything, but the evolution of wesley and dian's relationship is what makes the book for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    i won't spoil anything, but the evolution of wesley and dian's relationship is what makes the book for me.
    I agree about the relationship being the main thrust of the book's run. I'd also add that as the series went on, they started making more allusions to (and appearances by) other Golden Age heroes, which was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I agree about the relationship being the main thrust of the book's run. I'd also add that as the series went on, they started making more allusions to (and appearances by) other Golden Age heroes, which was a lot of fun.
    The role of Dian was something that wouldn't have happened back in the original time. A woman as a strong independent character wasn't something we saw back in the early Golden Age.

I loved this series. It was a modern retelling of an old charcater's adventures with a modern look at crimes and storytelling. Each four issue arc reads a lot like a Shadow or Doc Savage novel and that's the type of feel I give them.

As to the other characters and costumes, some are touched upon, but it's not as brash and colorful as the original comics. There's an overwhelming feel of realism here.

If you can collect and read the entire series, do it.

What I liked about the series was how Wagner reinterpreted a lot of the GA Sandman tales.
    It was kinda like the original GA stories would be like if your parents were relating the story to you, and Wagner's was more like if your grandparents were telling it to you, complete with all the details that your parents wouldn't have known.

And Dian did have a pretty active role in the Golden Age. I recall an issue of All-Star Comics where she would accompany Wes as his driver.
    Wagner's treatment made her more into a Margo Lane, and much more active.

And I loved the Guy Davis art. At the time I was first reading it, I had become interested in PBS Mystery! and it just felt very much like it matched the genre quite well.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Sandman Mystery Theater earned a spot on my keeper list long ago. Like others have mentioned: the relationship between Wesley and Dian is a great element that spans the series.

If you do end up enjoying the entire series; then I would recommend searching for the arc of David Robinson's Starman that features guest appearances by Wesley and Dian. I think name of the arc is "Sand and Stars." The story portrays the two in their later years and is really well done; to the point that it had me in tears.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    If you do end up enjoying the entire series; then I would recommend searching for the arc of David Robinson's Starman that features guest appearances by Wesley and Dian. I think name of the arc is "Sand and Stars." The story portrays the two in their later years and is really well done; to the point that it had me in tears.
    Wait . . . I didn't know former NBA great David Robinson also wrote Starman.

The four-issue arc called "Sand and Stars" ran from issues #20-23.

Wesley & Dian also showed up in a five-issue arc of Wagner's Madame Xanadu (#11-15, and art by Michael William Kaluta).

Mystery Theater was great series! Read it all.

that starman arc is great, agreed. it's also been a while since i finished starman, so apologies if i'm remembering the events incorrectly, but at one point wesley and dian go off on a "final adventure" and dian leaves jack knight something that allows james robinson to neatly end the series.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I wish I could answer the OP but DC cancelled the bloody collections!
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Wait . . . I didn't know former NBA great David Robinson also wrote Starman
    I don't know that I'd call him a "great." Hakeem Olajuwon schooled him the same night he was presented with MVP trophy and went on to win two championships while Robinson could never quite make it over the top. Spurs were more great after Robinson than during Robinson.

He wrote a heck of a Starman though.