Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

In real life, I feel like David Schwimmer had the right balance of not really having an impressive physique, but being inherently wide and strong. You would ask him to help you take your couch up a flight if stairs, but most guys would still get into a fight with David Schwimmer and not feel very threatened. Same thing should have with Clark Kent. And Superman should definitely be average height, not tall. People should kind of overlook Clark in most situations, but once he uses his super strength and starts flying everyone starts seeing him as this big macho type and huge tall fella. That's the secret identity effect, it's not about him lying as Clark Kent, it's about others seeing Superman in an exaggerated manner.

06-28-32-david-schwimmer-underwear-boxer-shorts.jpg
    06-29-09-hqdefault.jpg
    06-29-36-maxresdefault.jpg

For some reason I can't post gifs.
    But this one https://i.imgur.com/96yZV4m.gifv

And this photo are what I imagine from a more modest Superman, with maybe bigger arms
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-22-2021 at 11:56 PM.

Within comics these wouldbe my visual references

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

That works for "just a guy",interpretation like landis's american alien which is more postcrisis done in modernised.I am ok with it being a take.But,it being the take would take the super out of superman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Superman should look like this.

Honestly,I don't exactly know how to modernise Superman's 30's circus strongman look and build like in alex ross's covers or allstar as posted.When clark gets ripped,it looses the magic of his look like the tale end of bronzeage onwards.Regardless of the fat percentage,superman is a big dude.He's got a solid genetics and potential.Scary and deceptive in agility if you look from afar.But honestly,he can be very gentle with a smile plastered on.While,realise the all star look is great.Also realise,it's outdated.It feels like a man out of time,than a man of action living in the present.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-23-2021 at 01:00 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    In real life, I feel like David Schwimmer had the right balance of not really having an impressive physique, but being inherently wide and strong. You would ask him to help you take your couch up a flight if stairs, but most guys would still get into a fight with David Schwimmer and not feel very threatened. Same thing should have with Clark Kent. And Superman should definitely be average height, not tall. People should kind of overlook Clark in most situations, but once he uses his super strength and starts flying everyone starts seeing him as this big macho type and huge tall fella. That's the secret identity effect, it's not about him lying as Clark Kent, it's about others seeing Superman in an exaggerated manner.

06-28-32-david-schwimmer-underwear-boxer-shorts.jpg
    06-29-09-hqdefault.jpg
    06-29-36-maxresdefault.jpg
    The only thing funnier than the idea of Ross as Superman is the David Schwimmer tied up with a can of whip cream.

I'm joking and I get your point, but I can't stand the idea of a superhero looking like a guy who doesn't work out. That just makes me think of a lazy actor getting a ton of money.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    For some reason I can't post gifs.
    But this one https://i.imgur.com/96yZV4m.gifv

And this photo are what I imagine from a more modest Superman, with maybe bigger arms
    that will end up looking like nicholas cage superman suit with build-in muscles.

Incredible Member

ed mcguinness superman was ridiculous with the puff up muscles when the biceps is bigger than the head.

the golden age superman has it right. in shape but supes ain't a bodybuilder.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I do love that golden age acrobat physique but the Alex Ross Curt Swan barrel chested dad is pretty great too!
    I also love Garcia Lopez’s 7 foot Marble God Superman. I do like the idea that Captain Marvel is even thicker so to speak.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

He should be built like Muhammad Ali in his prime.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    ed mcguinness superman was ridiculous with the puff up muscles when the biceps is bigger than the head.

Hajime no superman!!! Dempsey roll!!!!!Superman in boxing gloves and shorts for the win.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

BANNED

He should look like a trained natty, not enhanced. Kids shouldn't think it's a good idea to take steroids or other PEDs to look like him.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 01-24-2021 at 09:38 AM.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

I don't like the barrel chest, nor the "pumped up" look...like the Muhamed Ali idea..but Gary Frank does the job I reckon...

BANNED

I have always believed that the body represents the powers of the hero, that's why for me.
    Thor (Marvel) is fast but his main power is strength, that's why he is a bodybuilder.
    Flash is a sprinter, that's why he's tall and slim.
    WW is strong and fast alike (warrior), so she has a perfect physique.
    Superman is something similar to WW, but his strength is seen as his main power, so without becoming a bodybuilder he has to be big, Cavill in MoS but taller.
    As for his muscular definition, I don't know if it's a comic or a fanfic, but I remember reading that Kryptonian evolution makes his body develop more effectively, if you add his powers to that, superman has an almost perfect physical development .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That works for "just a guy",interpretation like landis's american alien which is more postcrisis done in modernised.I am ok with it being a take.But,it being the take would take the super out of superman.

Honestly,I don't exactly know how to modernise Superman's 30's circus strongman look and build like in alex ross's covers or allstar as posted.When clark gets ripped,it looses the magic of his look like the tale end of bronzeage onwards.Regardless of the fat percentage,superman is a big dude.He's got a solid genetics and potential.Scary and deceptive in agility if you look from afar.But honestly,he can be very gentle with a smile plastered on.While,realise the all star look is great.Also realise,it's outdated.It feels like a man out of time,than a man of action living in the present.
    The way I'd describe this is muscle mass, not much muscle definition. He's big, but not cut. He can look like a big, fatherly figure or a brute depending on his posture.

On topic, I don't know that I have a clear favorite. Perhaps Gary Frank's? He's got muscle mass and definition but not excessive. But I do like the stylized, big look of Ed McGuinness's Superman too. Same with Patrick Gleason. Hell, same with less defined Superman like Swan. Just depends on the execution.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-24-2021 at 09:19 PM.

I still like twunk Superman to be honest, haha
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."