Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Is it so? Please reconsider. Here are they again.

What would be the physique for the above two? I am kind of poor in estimating that. I guess medium will not work for them. What term shall i use? If both are too different do specify. Sometime back i posted that both look similar. I may end up being wrong. Nothing wrong with that. Better be corrected then having misconceptions.
    Yes, to me in all of these pics Superman is clearly 200+ lbs. This is a big human being. Quitely's Superman has a lot of mass. A good expression to describe him would be "barrel-chested."

Of course, this is assuming that he's supposed to be an approximation of regular humans, unlike something like the DCAU where every dude has broad shoulders and Superman looks like he's wearing NFL shoulder pads.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Superman should look like this.

His quintessential look did not have that. Muscles are not necessary for Superman. He is in that level where the bulk or build does not matter. I imagine him as fat but not too fat, thin but not too thin.

This looks fantastic. Though some muscles can be used as visual to show that he is strong. It looks nice.

All of those illustrations depict a big, strong man in the 220-240 range. Especially Joe Shuster's work, where he's drawn to look like a circus strong man/body builder of that era. There's nothing fat or thin about him, he's muscle.

He's just really big and strong and barrel chested. He "uses his size" a lot in a fight, not just his fists. He tries to hold someone down to prevent conflict. He topples through a solid concrete wall. He's solid muscle.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, by comic book standards both images are fairly middle build. They're not super skinny like, say, Jimmy Olsen or lean like a Miles Morales, but they're not overly muscled body builders like Hulk, Cable, or basically any male character from the 90's.

By the standards of reality, both images are heavy weight boxing material. Look at Clark's arms in those images; they're as thick as his head! Are *your* arms as thick as your head? I know mine aren't, and I'm in pretty fit shape. Even at my prime, when I was bench pressing reps of 350 pounds, my arms weren't that big. These images look like Clark could be a linebacker for the NLF, and those are not small boys.
    Hey, that's really good. Of course, arm development doesn't correlate with bench press, even if the triceps have to be pretty decent. To my displeasure, the question is always how much I bench, not my pull up record or mile time, even though my chest has half the thickness of a N.Y. pizza slice.

With the golden age I actually think his head was kinda big where the silver age, his head looked too small.

If I had to tie Superman to a sporting physique, I'd say Greco Roman wrestling. Football and bodybuilding are easy references, but I think those sports conjure up some extremes in build impressions.

I've said before that my favorite looks for Superman are visibly young. One weird side effect of that is that for some reason people tend to draw him bulkier as he gets older- or even squarer jawed, though that realistically wouldn't change between ages eighteen and twenty-five- or after, I should say, much like I figure his build wouldn't. Still, the fact is that "younger" tends to equal "trimmer" in Superman art.

As a result, that means I like Superman to be muscular, but trim. Maybe similar to the way Dick Grayson gets drawn a lot of the time. Probably some of this comes from the fact that I fell in love with the Legion of Super-Heroes show in middle school and the first time I started reading monthly books was when Rags Morales drew Superman. In neither example was he drawn super bulky, and as everyone knows, "the real Golden Age of comics is whenever you first got into them."

In contrast, I like Batman to be super bulky, so, you know. That probably has something to do with that summer in middle school when I read DKR so many times that I started speaking in the same accent I imagined Gothamites had, just by overexposure to it...
    Last edited by Adekis; 11-06-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Good example of my ideal:

"They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I've said before that my favorite looks for Superman are visibly young. One weird side effect of that is that for some reason people tend to draw him bulkier as he gets older- or even squarer jawed, though that realistically wouldn't change between ages eighteen and twenty-five- or after, I should say, much like I figure his build wouldn't. Still, the fact is that "younger" tends to equal "trimmer" in Superman art.
    Between 18-25 most people do gain weight and have features harden . It's pretty common for people to draw Superman more or less the same throughout his career, although Rags made him look way younger during that run and I guess you could say Sale trimmed him just a bit in the short conceptual time between FAS and Kryptonite.

It was weird seeing Harry potter Superman at the same time as Jim Lee drew him to look like Tom welling, or the similar difference between Byrne and Ordway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Good example of my ideal:

>Awesome pic from Tom Grummett<
    Ah, Mr. Grummett......I spent years staring at your work teaching myself to draw......

Back in the day he was my favorite Superman artist. Actually I think he, along with Winnerago (spelling?) were my favorite artists period.

I've since come to prefer a Superman who is a little less "cut" but you can't deny that's still a badass, noble looking Man of Steel!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Back when BvS was in production, one of the producers or somebody who had financial backing in the movie made it a point about casting a Batman who was physically more imposing than Superman. In other words, size matters. You can quibble about the specifics about height, mass, body fat composition, etc., but for me you can't compromise on Superman's physical presence.

Unless you're doing a comedy, of course. This one is still an old favorite of mine:

Astonishing Member

The way Ordway or Jose Luis Garcia Lopez depicted him are the ideal in my mind. Wayne Boring works well too, still thick but not over defined. Shuster is great but needs the golden age attitude or it feels off to me.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Hey, that's really good. Of course, arm development doesn't correlate with bench press, even if the triceps have to be pretty decent. To my displeasure, the question is always how much I bench, not my pull up record or mile time, even though my chest has half the thickness of a N.Y. pizza slice.

With the golden age I actually think his head was kinda big where the silver age, his head looked too small.

If I had to tie Superman to a sporting physique, I'd say Greco Roman wrestling. Football and bodybuilding are easy references, but I think those sports conjure up some extremes in build impressions.
    I'd stray away from body-builders. They're kind of the benchmark for non-functional strength, and modern day body-builders are just too... much... At least NFL guys need to be good on their feet. Greco-Roman is a good comp, along with Crossfit (though let's not feed their egos any further, heh).

Speaking of non-functional strength, man, the bench press is among the worst. And I'm not just saying that because I tore a pec benching. Unless you're like Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins and a wooden beam fell on top of you, when are you ever going to need to do that exact motion?

If I was to look away from the actors and then toward the athletes, strictly in terms of frame, physique, and explosive power .... and discounting face and skin tone .... hmmmmm .... I would go with ....

The starting quarterback of the Carolina Panthers of the NFL:

Cam Newton.

Yes, the guy that literally does the Clark Kent shirt-rip pose after every touchdown in every football game, and yeah, he does act the fool sometimes in interviews.

6'5", 245 lbs, stronger, faster, more explosive than any other NFL QB (when healthy).

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Yes, to me in all of these pics Superman is clearly 200+ lbs. This is a big human being. Quitely's Superman has a lot of mass. A good expression to describe him would be "barrel-chested."

Of course, this is assuming that he's supposed to be an approximation of regular humans, unlike something like the DCAU where every dude has broad shoulders and Superman looks like he's wearing NFL shoulder pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    All of those illustrations depict a big, strong man in the 220-240 range. Especially Joe Shuster's work, where he's drawn to look like a circus strong man/body builder of that era. There's nothing fat or thin about him, he's muscle.

He's just really big and strong and barrel chested. He "uses his size" a lot in a fight, not just his fists. He tries to hold someone down to prevent conflict. He topples through a solid concrete wall. He's solid muscle.

Thank you!

So, barrel chested it is. Quietly's looks more aesthetically pleasing. He definitely is a big man.

But he does not look like a mass of muscles. This fits into the idea that he transcends human conventions.

Films or tv is a different matter. No one is going to take Superman seriously if does not have a physique like Cavill. People in general equate strength with muscle.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-06-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'd stray away from body-builders. They're kind of the benchmark for non-functional strength, and modern day body-builders are just too... much... At least NFL guys need to be good on their feet. Greco-Roman is a good comp, along with Crossfit (though let's not feed their egos any further, heh).

Speaking of non-functional strength, man, the bench press is among the worst. And I'm not just saying that because I tore a pec benching. Unless you're like Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins and a wooden beam fell on top of you, when are you ever going to need to do that exact motion?
    That's what I say about it, but it's still the standard of what people consider strong for some reason.

Function is relative. The strength to lift big weight, like Superman does, is found in bodybuilders as well as football players, strongmen, or power lifters. They don't compare as well in cardio or running speed, but most people underestimate their speed or flexibility compared to others who aren't the highest level of pro sports. I've seen many bodybuilders do splits or flips in their routines.

People would probably go for the idea of a bodybuilder if they thought more along the lines of a Frank Zane than a Ronnie Coleman. Those kinda guys are still out there although like with most sports, the big guys get the most attention. Ed McGuinness drew Superman the biggest, but then made up for it by showing how fast Superman was compared to others.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I like big over inflated Curt Swan Superman, but Garcia Lopez is what makes sense to me. Cam Newton works. I imagine Super People as standing out, Oliver Queen would look super human. The Garcia Lopez DCU is how I see superheroes. Quitely’s Clark is real genius though. He looks like Clark Bent from the old Mad comic.

Incredible Member

I join those who say they like Superman drawn big, but not overly ripped. However, sometimes I appreciate a more "swimmers build" Superman too, and everything in between. Just depends on the artist and story.

But, for the big but not overly ripped-- Clint Walker had approximately the right look, in his day. Have a Google.