Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I like the idea of it being Lois Lane-Kent. Mostly because I could see Lois wanting to take the name just out of love for Clark. I mean she spent years swooning over Superman and how could she not take the name in part when she actually got to marry him?
    In that case, shouldn't Clark also take the Lane name out of love and be Clark Kent-Lane?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    They also should move away from the Rockwell painting of the American family that they're trying to sell them as, and just let them be actual characters with lives.
    But, Clark grew up on a farm in Kansas as a kid, and he and Lois were raising Jon on a farm until recently.

That whole concept has a bit in common with a "painting of the American family" from the past. "Idyllic" and "simple" are words that jump to mind.

No, because she shouldn't be married in the first place.

But, in the true spirit of what this thread is about, I think the hyphenation is the best route.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Well, yeah it should be. They just keep the Lane part to have her more recognizable. Just like Iris West.

I have no issues with Clark naming himself Clark Kent-Lane out of love of Lois. Dude's name is Kal-El. Not Clark Kent. Yet he definitely won't drop the name of Kent and take a name of Clark Lane. Its cute but the guy cares a lot for legacy. He will keep carrying the name of Kents who are his parents. On the other hand, Lois 'can' drop the name of Lane. She has an interesting relationship with her father. Dropping that name makes sense on her part. She can take the name of Lane-Kent out of love too. She has loved Superman for years. Why won't she be Mrs. Superman? But if she keeps her maiden name that's her wish. There's a reason why she keeps that. Character wise these things make sense. The couple love each other very much. Both are dependent on each other while staying independent. I think people will welcome a name like Lane-Kent for Lois. That does not seem out of character. Still they would keep calling her Lois Lane as before. Lois Kent or Lois Lane Kent name may work as an in-universe official name. But Lois Lane Kent or Lois Kent does not have that beauty or sound in it as Lois Lane. One of the most iconic names ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Nope, she should keep it as Lois Lane. They also should move away from the Rockwell painting of the American family that they're trying to sell them as, and just let them be actual characters with lives. Characters the resemble Lois and Clark.
    Some people actually prefer the Rockwell setting. Conflict which is necessary for any story can be found in those outrageous and fantastic adventures which they seem to face every Wednesday. I love it a lot more then some cliched family conflict. Yes unnecessary conflict is a cliche now. And Rockwell is fresh and unique. And they absolutely resemble Lois and Clark. Clark is a decent guy. Clark's the guy one would absolutely love to have as a husband. Or else what was the point of the years of stories when Superman/Lois/Clark were in a love triangle? I love him as Super dad. Everything is Super for this guy. Even his sneeze.

He used to be an inspiration for the world. Now he also is one for his son. He is Superman. He is also a father.

Lois is the same woman. Whether she be in the kitchen or on Apokolips she does not change. Let me see a few characteristics of Lois. She is a reporter who gets the story at all costs. Now she will save her son at all costs. That's a natural progression for her character. Who can forget her adorning the Hell-bat costume and punching the Eradicator on the moon. I don't think a mother has done anything cooler! She is still the intrepid reporter. She went to interview Deathstroke. When she was trapped in that alley she was relieved to see Superman. Which was immediately followed by anger. So, she is still independent. When she knew that Superman was not following her but arrived due to the signal she felt happy. She still loves Superman. But now he is also her husband. What we are seeing are the same characters who have grown and evolved over time while staying the same characters at their core. People don't stay the same but keep changing over their lives.

Marriages are built on sacrifices. For the sake of Jon and for the sake of each other they keep going on even if things are not perfect. If someone feels something odd blame it on parenthood. People try to be much better people when they understand that their kids are watching them. I doubt the writers can show the complexities of a married life while keeping the characters same. Everything tends to be exaggerated in comic books. Today they would be having a fight and tomorrow Superman cheats on her with someone else. That's the nature of comic books. Finding the balance is too difficult. I can understand if some people find it somewhat uninteresting but on my part i am having the time of my life.

Some bit of unrealistic stuff is to be allowed. The story is about Superman. Normal husbands don't shoot lasers from their eyes. Do they?
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-05-2017 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It's been a long time since Lois and Clark got married. And dont get me wrong, I have no issue with women who keep their maiden names. But they are definitely pushing a very traditional, Norman Rockwell Americana type of family unit with the Kents.

So should Lois' name be officially Lois Lane-Kent?

You gotta keep "Lane" for the purposes of keeping her recognizable.....but the hyphenated Lane-Kent seems like a nice balance; you still know who you're talking about because "Lois Lane" is pretty damn iconic, but you also know she and Clark are married in this continuity.

I bring it up mostly because I haven't seen this discussed, like, ever, on these boards.
    (deep breath)

I think you meant well.

But there is no way this particular question wasn't going to bring out strong responses.

So I'm just going to stick with my response, edited because so many others eloquently summed up my thoughts on the matter:

No.

Absolutely not.

Lois Lane is Lois Lane.

From her cradle to her grave, her name is her name.

The act of a women (never ever a man, mind you) changing their name for their spouse is an increasingly outdated custom. It is a surrendering of your identity in exchange for the presumably increased security of her husband's name. It was a necessity for housewives, not professional women, of which Lois is a poster gal.

Changing her name is the least (Post-COIE) Lois Lane thing that Lois could do.

I know Pre-COIE Lois was marriage - obsessed, but TBH, she was way too often written as a moron in regards to her pursuit of Superman.

Clark doesn't strike me as the sort of guy who would ever want that kind of gesture, let alone insist on it from Lois.

Jon's school-age peers can informally call her "Mrs. Kent", as well as their parents or teachers who don't realize her own celebrity.

But beyond that, Lois Lane is Lois Lane.

Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    (deep breath)

I think you meant well.

But there is no way this particular question wasn't going to bring out strong responses.

So I'm just going to stick with my response, edited because so many others eloquently summed up my thoughts on the matter:

No.

Absolutely not.

Lois Lane is Lois Lane.

From her cradle to her grave, her name is her name.

The act of a women (never ever a man, mind you) changing their name for their spouse is an increasingly outdated custom. It is a surrendering of your identity in exchange for the presumably increased security of her husband's name. It was a necessity for housewives, not professional women, of which Lois is a poster gal.

Changing her name is the least (Post-COIE) Lois Lane thing that Lois could do.

I know Pre-COIE Lois was marriage - obsessed, but TBH, she was way too often written as a moron in regards to her pursuit of Superman.

Clark doesn't strike me as the sort of guy who would ever want that kind of gesture, let alone insist on it from Lois.

Jon's school-age peers can informally call her "Mrs. Kent", as well as their parents or teachers who don't realize her own celebrity.

But beyond that, Lois Lane is Lois Lane.

Forever.
    see, we should abolish marriage for the evil it represents and it most powerfull weapon of oppression is making people lose their identities by changing their names, the moment someone takes another's surname they cease to be their own persona

sorry daBronzeBomma but i really disagree with that, her keeping the surname lane should not be because she will cease to be her "own person" (because she does not exist in the first place) if she does change

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    (deep breath)

I think you meant well.

Yeah, for a minute, to my detriment, I forgot that you can't just have a discussion here anymore without some social agenda getting pulled into it. But yes, I didnt intend any offense or any of that crap. It was a simple, honest, innocent question.

Is it? Last I knew it was still the norm. More women are keeping their maiden names (which is cool) but I thought the majority still follow the tradition of taking their husband's. Though it has been a couple years since I read about this in sociology so my data is a little outdated.

Also, I take some issue with "surrendering of your identity in exchange for the presumably increased security of her husband's name." That's a loaded way of looking at it man. And I dislike the implication that my wife (and almost every other wife I know) are doing something "wrong" or acting against the interests of feminism by taking their husbands' names.

Certainly Clark would never demand such a thing. Christ, who would? And I dont think he'd have a problem with Lois keeping her maiden name either. Clark's got three names himself, I dont think he worries about it yknow?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    sorry daBronzeBomma but i really disagree with that, her keeping the surname lane should not be because she will cease to be her "own person" (because she does not exist in the first place) if she does change
    Whether a woman decides to keep her "maiden name" or not really stopped being an issue back in the last century.

If she chooses to change her last name it does not mean "she will cease to be her 'own person' "; have people even really thought that way since like back in the 1970s? Besides, what if two lesbians get married and one of them chooses to take the last name of the other: does that have anything to do with this "male ownership" crap?

By the way, sometimes when a woman chooses to change her last name to that of the person she is in a committed relationship with, they may opt for that partially/mainly because they don't like the last name they were given at birth. I do know of at least one case where that has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, for a minute, to my detriment, I forgot that you can't just have a discussion here anymore without some social agenda getting pulled into it. But yes, I didnt intend any offense or any of that crap. It was a simple, honest, innocent question.
    Everything is a social agenda, even if you realize it or not

Heck, let's put it on this way

Kim Kardashian is married to Kanye West, she chose to be Kim Kardashian-West, because her name is a brand. Beyonce is Beyonce Knowles-Carter, because even if Jay Z is a famous rapper, Beyonce started her career "solo" (well, with Destiny's Child, you get the drill). But at the end of the day, even with an hyphen, they are Kim Kardashian and Beyonce Knowles, not Kim West or Beyonce Carter.

With Lois it might apply the same -- who is Lois Kent? Clark's wife and Jon's mom. Who is Lois Lane? The intrepid journalist and Pulitzer writer who is also Clark's wife and Jon's mom. It's a question of brand recognition. Heck, isn't Leia Organa married to Han Solo in the SW canon? (I might be wrong) when re-introduced in the Force Awakens she is General Organa, I don't know if I'm making sense

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Whether a woman decides to keep her "maiden name" or not really stopped being an issue back in the last century.
    Well, in many parts of the country.

Other parts...still active.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post

Kim Kardashian is married to Kanye West, she chose to be Kim Kardashian-West, because her name is a brand. Beyonce is Beyonce Knowles-Carter, because even if Jay Z is a famous rapper, Beyonce started her career "solo" (well, with Destiny's Child, you get the drill). But at the end of the day, even with an hyphen, they are Kim Kardashian and Beyonce Knowles, not Kim West or Beyonce Carter.

With Lois it might apply the same -- who is Lois Kent? Clark's wife and Jon's mom. Who is Lois Lane? The intrepid journalist and Pulitzer writer who is also Clark's wife and Jon's mom. It's a question of brand recognition. Heck, isn't Leia Organa married to Han Solo in the SW canon? (I might be wrong) when re-introduced in the Force Awakens she is General Organa, I don't know if I'm making sense
    on the SW franchise if memory does not fail me she keeps the surname because she is a figure of state, even if her state is just a bunch of cosmic dust (this is heavy on the feels)

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Well, in many parts of the country.

Other parts...still active.
    What . . . in states where the main religion is "Mormon"?

I know there are probably a good number of women who still take their husband's last name when they get married, but I didn't think it was a "hot button issue" about deciding to or not since before the turn of the century.

I'll just say her professional name should still be "Lane," but "Mrs. Kent" can work in social settings, though I could chuckle at a comedic scene where Clark says, "Mrs. Kent is my mom," riffing the old cliche that "Mr. [so and so] is my dad, call me..."

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post

This is why, in my opening post, I suggested the hyphenated "Lane-Kent" so Lois' brand is still intact. Really, given the various versions of the Super-mythos around it just seemed the easiest way to shorthand "This is Lois Lane. You know who that is. Her name here is Lane-Kent because she and Superman are married in this continuity." Its informative via simple intuition without removing Lois' name recognition. Using the hyphen is a pragmatic choice here, used to inform the reader about the setting, not a statement about feminism.

And Leia was "General Organa" in Force Awakens because she and Han were split. In the novels that were considered continuity before Disney bought the IP, it was Organa-Solo.

As for everything being a social issue.....in some ways yes, everything is. But this mindset so often misses the trees for the forest it'd be funny if it wasn't so obnoxious.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.