Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Disney in talks with FOX to purchase 21st Century Fox

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st...y-sources.html

Just reporting now, these talks have been ongoing for the last few weeks, on again--off again. Murdoch wants to focus on sports and news, sell FX, Nat. Geo, and the 21st Century Fox studios. All entertainment property rights would go to Disney! If this happens, the X-MEN and FF can come home. (Not that I'm complaining about FOX X-Men--I prefer to the more subtle, realistic, and intelligent treatment of the mutants and not the big ha-ha-carnival rides of Marvel Studios films like the current THOR.)

The X-Men are fine at Fox. But if Disney gets the Fantastic Four in the MCU all of my prayers will be answered.

Also this means Anastasia will finally become a Disney princess.
    Last edited by BlackClaw; 11-06-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

So basically all of Marvel would be under the same roof again, more or less ?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Don't get yall hopes up. Be prepared for dissapointment.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Well yea, probably won’t happen, but just think of how big the mouse’s checkbook really is.

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    If Murdoch is intent on selling away these things it will be gone. It is up to whether or not Disney really wants the property now.

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Also if Disney gets FOX, they will finally have their hands on the original Star Wars trilogy. They are definitely aiming for all that content.

That's one way to solve the problem of 20th Century Fox having the X-Men rights!

Interestingly, this would also mean that Disney would take majority ownership of the UK's main pay TV service, Sky, which 21st Century was already trying to buy the remaining shareholders out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That's one way to solve the problem of 20th Century Fox having the X-Men rights!

Interestingly, this would also mean that Disney would take majority ownership of the UK's main pay TV service, Sky, which 21st Century was already trying to buy the remaining shareholders out of.
    It’s also gonna be interesting to see what happens to the Marvel rides at Universal Studios. Or maybe they won’t be affected even if Disney gets the X-Men and Fantastic Four back.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Astonishing Member

I really hope it don't hurt deadpool 2 X-force or the X23 movies. Disney's idear for superhero movies would dramatically tone them down. Hope we get some X-Men animated series. (Wolverine and the X-Men seasion 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I really hope it don't hurt deadpool 2 X-force or the X23 movies. Disney's idear for superhero movies would dramatically tone them down. Hope we get some X-Men animated series. (Wolverine and the X-Men seasion 2)
    I mean, one benefit of this is that we might start to see more promotion for the X-Men and FF outside comics again, and actually let them appear in cartoons again.

Astonishing Member

This makes me happy because I don't care about movies, don't watch superhero movies, but I do care about comics and videogames.

If this happens, Marvel will no longer have any reason to throw the X-Men under the bus to support franchises they have full rights to instead, because they would also have full rights on the X-Men. It could be a second golden age for X-Men comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, one benefit of this is that we might start to see more promotion for the X-Men and FF outside comics again, and actually let them appear in cartoons again.
    True but there are still alot of concerns. Disney's isn't going to make r rated movies. Deadpool and X-force only work if there R rated. And since the'll recast Logan we wont get the x23 movie. I need to know how thell handle the xmen movies. Hopfully Disney keeps the movies they have planned and the X-Men actors fans like, there is a real risk Disney will canncle all in productions X-Men movies and that worryes me.

Extraordinary Member

Disney owns way too much stuff already and the lack of competition will eventually be bad for fans.

Still, part of me kind of wants to see what a "unified" MCU would look like.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    True but there are still alot of concerns. Disney's isn't going to make r rated movies. Deadpool and X-force only work if there R rated. And since the'll recast Logan we wont get the x23 movie. I need to know how thell handle the xmen movies. Hopfully Disney keeps the movies they have planned and the X-Men actors fans like, there is a real risk Disney will canncle all in productions X-Men movies and that worryes me.
    Here is some info about that.

What are some R-rated movies that have been released by Disney?

By Mickey Lin
    It really depends on what you mean by “Disney”.
    The Walt Disney Company is a multinational media conglomerate and it has many subsidiaries. Like many multinational conglomerates, Disney uses subsidiaries to cater to different demographics.

The “Disney” label is associated with kids-friendly fare (ie Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh, etc) and so I can’t think of any R-rated films that have been released under the Disney label. It would go against their brand and target demographic.

I have listed some of the subsidiaries they own or owned and the R-rated films that were released by them.

Disney, the multinational conglomerate, owned Miramax Films from 1993—2010.

If you think that Disney had no influence over Miramax’s releases, James B. Stewart’s book Disney War documents how Disney then-CEO Michael Eisner demanded that Miramax to drop their investment in Michael Moore’s controversial documentary Fahrenheit 9/11 and reminded Miramax that Disney had the right to veto any Miramax film if it appeared that its distribution would go against Disney’s interests. (For more details, check out Fahrenheit 9/11)

From this perspective, anything released by Miramax and Dimension Films during this time period could technically be considered as released by Disney, the multinational conglomerate. Miramax owned the genre label Dimension Films (specializing in genre films).

Some of the R-rated films that Miramax released during this time period:
    # Quentin Tarantino’s Pulp Fiction (1994)

# Quentin Tarantino’s Kill Bill Volume 1 and Volume 2 (2003-2004)

# Peter Jackson’s Heavenly Creatures (1994)

# Kevin Smith’s Clerks (1994)

# Gary Felder’s Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead (1995)

# Woody Allen’s Mighty Aphrodite (1995)

# Danny Boyle’s Trainspotting (1995)

# Anthony Minghella’s The English Patient (1996)

# Gus Van Sant’s Good Will Hunting (1997)

# Lasse Hallström’s The Cider House Rules (1999)

# Steven Soderbergh’s Full Frontal (2002)

Some of the R-rated films that Dimension Films released during this time period:
    # Robert Rodriguez’s From Dusk Till Dawn (1996).

# Robert Rodriguez’s Sin City (2005)

# Robert Rodriguez’s The Faculty (1998)

# Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)

# Wes Craven’s Scream (1996)

# Wes Craven’s Scream 2 (1997)

# Wes Craven’s Scream 3 (2000).

# Bad Santa (2003)

# The Amityville Horror (2005)

Please note that I didn’t list Scream 4 since it was released in 2011, after Disney sold Miramax and Dimension Films to Filmyard Holdings in 2010.

Disney owns Touchstone Pictures since 1984 and Disney uses the Touchstone Pictures label to release films that are mature and darker than the “Disney” label would allow.

Some of the R-rated films that Touchstone Pictures have released are:
    # Ruthless People (1986)

# D.O.A. (1988)

# Garry Marshall’s Pretty Woman (1990)

# When a Man Loves a Woman (1994)

# Con Air (1997)

# Paul Verhoeven’s Starship Troopers (1997)

# Snake Eyes (1998)

# Tony Scott’s Enemy of the State (1998)

The list of films is by no way comprehensive but hopefully shows that the Disney conglomerate, through it’s various subsidiaries and labels, have released plenty of R-rated films from Quentin Tarantino’s Kill Bill to Tony Scott’s Enemy of the State. It’s also interesting to think that the Disney company have in some ways contributed to the release of films with titles like Enemy of the State and Sin City. It sort of put things into perspective about complicated nature of the film industry.

By Carrie Rickey
    Among the R-rated movies that Disney's Touchstone subsidiary has released are Pretty Woman, Ruthless People and Outrageous Fortune.

Touchstone Pictures | Disney Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

Touchstone Pictures is a film distribution label of Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. Previously, it was operated as a active film production banner of The Walt Disney Studios, owned by The Walt Disney Company. Established on Wednesday 15 February 1984 by then-Disney CEO Ron W Miller as Touchstone FIlms. Its releases are typically more adult orientated than those under the Disney label, although the features, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and The Nightmare Before Christmas, which used to be released under the Touchstone banner, are now considered as "Disney" movies (the former featured Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and many other Disney characters, though it also featured characters from other studios while the latter was featured in the Kingdom Hearts series: a Disney/Square Enix video game crossover and the latter was released under Walt Disney Pictures upon its theatrical re-release in 2007). Another Touchstone film Reign of Fire may also considered as a "Disney" movie.

Miramax Films | Disney Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia
    711px-Miramax Films svg Miramax Films is an American entertainment company known for distributing independent and foreign films. For its first 14 years the company was privately owned by its founders, Bob and Harvey Weinstein. In 1993, the company was acquired by The Walt Disney Company. In 2005, the brothers founded the Weinstein Company.
    Miramax operated, until 2005, the label Dimension Films, specializing in genre films and created the Spy Kids, Scream and Scary Movie film franchises.
    http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Miramax_Films

Dimension Films | Disney Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia
    Dimension Films is an American film production company owned by The Weinstein Company. It was formerly used as Bob Weinstein's label within Miramax Films, to produce and release genre films. The Weinstein Brothers took this label with them when they departed the Disney-owned Miramax in October 2005.

All films released by Dimension Films prior to October 1, 2005 remain the property of Miramax Films; half the profits of sequels made to Miramax-era films went to Disney until Miramax was sold to Filmyard Holdings, a joint venture of Colony Capital, Tutor-Saliba Corporation, and Qatar Investment Authority in 2010.

The studio's movie franchises include the later Halloween films, Children of the Corn, Scream, Spy Kids and Scary Movie.
    http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Dimension_Films

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Thank You. Because the Disney logo doesn't show up in Marvel Studios movies, they can make an R-rated movie, and seeing the Netflix series, they might someday.

And remember people, The Killing Joke was also R-rated. So hope that Logan actually does something with its rating and not turn out to be a gimmick.

http://community.comicbookresources....Universe/page8