Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Let's not forget that characters like Quicksilver have been both an X-Man and Avenger, so I think characters like him could appear in the MCU. It's probably just a case of licensing agreements.

If Disney pick up the catalog from Fox, it would not be the first time something like that has happened. By this, I mean a branch of the House of Mouse acquiring the rights or taking inspiration from the Fox companies (counting it's days as Fox Film Corp. and Fox Film's corporate predecessor, Box Office Attractions). That is, 1 of the 1st Fox Film releases was 1914's Gertie the Dinosaur in Nov. 1914. This cartoon by early American animation pioneer Windsor McKay was 1 of the 1st cartoons to have a character with a distinctive personality. Thus, it did inspire a young Walt Disney.
    Last edited by Kadmos1; 11-11-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Shouldn't the title be edited by admin to say "WAS" b/c apparently that is the case. Don't think they're ongoing, and apparently there is no deal forthcoming in the near term.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Shouldn't the title be edited by admin to say "WAS" b/c apparently that is the case. Don't think they're ongoing, and apparently there is no deal forthcoming in the near term.
    https://www.cbr.com/disney-fox-talks-still-alive/

It was dead, it could probably happen but I highly doubt it
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    The deal is still ongoing. A new article came out saying they are still talking but nothing has been written.

Stocks prices for both companies have gone up because of the news of the merger.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Oh for god's sake. They complain because X-Men get sidelined in favour of the franchise Marvel own the movie rights of. What I find funny is all these people complaining about the light hearted tone of MCU movies keep complaining about the doom and gloom tone of the X-Men comics that have been for the last ten years of so.
    There IS a thing known as balance. There is a WHOLE spectrum of tones between Star-Lord and Guardians dance-off and Mutant Genocide 37.2 Also, why root for a company that has so callously and deliberately sidelined its properties that were its biggest cash cows for the longest time?

People need to watch Iron Man 2 & 3 more properly. In Iron Man 2, Tony has suicidal tendencies, and in Iron Man 3, he's suffering from PTSD. No, it's not alcoholism, but it's pretty much the same deal.
    Iron Man 2 is a mess and if it had been a Fox movie, these very same defenders would have been all destroying it. Ditto for everything in Iron Man 3 including Tony's PTSD and him destroying all his suits to be with Pepper. None of which was explored further in Age of Ultron and the subsequent MCU films. Apparently continuity issues are only visible in Fox films?

By the way, didn't comic book Stryker actually killed his own newborn son? Where was that?
    Wasn't a lobotomized son forced to do the bidding of his perpetrator of a father enough?

Where were all the religious crap Stryker sprouts God Loves, Man Kills?
    Seeing the push that a Holocaust survivor like Magneto got from the very first scene of the franchise, it would have been slightly lopsided to depict another religion is such a stark negative light. X2 Stryker was more chilling and less caricaturish anyway.

Where is Wolverine's berserker rage?
    In Logan.

Where is Cyclops' f%^&*d up childhood. Oh wait, I keep forgetting he doesn't matter.
    True and that's the REAL reason it stings, doesn't it? Well as I said before, say hi to Janet van Dyne fans and how they feel about the MCU's treatment of her. "Janet is not as important to Avengers as Cyclops is to X-Men" is not really an objective argument.

MCU made absolute Z-listers into a worldwide pop culture phenomena, but they do jokes. A COMIC BOOK MOVIE THAT'S FUN ?! OH THE CRIME!!!
    By stripping them of everything that made them THEM. And sorry to burst the bubble, but as "big" as the X-Men were even in the 90's, they were still pretty niche in the grand scheme of things. They never entered pop-culture subconscious like the likes of Batman, Superman and Spider-Man (or even Wonder Woman due to her connection to feminist movements). If Disney had basically made "X-Babies All Growed Up: The Franchise" which went on to make crazy Minions kind of merchandising money, would that have been much better?

I mean, who gives a crap about Peter and his mother's scene at the end of the first movie, or Yondu's emotional death, or Gamora and Nebula's screwed up childhood. HOW CAN A MOVIE BE FUN AND STILL HAVE MANY DRAMATIC MOMENTS?! It can't, right? Movies can either only be for adults or kids, right? No way it could be for all ages, such nonsense.

Comic book Civil War is written by Mark Millar. It's a disgusting, obnoxious, offensive piece of crap. And they didn't remove the darker aspects. I know it's the cool thing to say "MCU has nothing dark", but it's just factually incorrect. Just because characters don't have po faced expression all the time, doesn't mean it's not dark.
    Isn't your argument X-Men movies are not fun and all ages? I didn't say MCU is not all ages, just that sometimes the main objective is to convince kids to drive their mom and dad crazy and shell out $$ for some unnecessary piece of plastic junk.

Disney's the one who made Rogue One. "Clashes with Disney's MO" It's not even funny anymore. Do people really think Marvel Studios will remove the allegories from X-Men? Sheesh.
    Rogue One is an ancillary/one-off spin-off of a nostalgia based franchise. The Star Wars films after Disney bought the brand is still in the same continuity as the Star Wars films before Disney bought it, so they cannot mess around with the tones much there or face "This doesn't feel like Star Wars enough" (some of the new films still get that criticism though). The expectation of a hypothetical buyout (still very unlikely but I'm just humoring you here) is that Disney will hard reboot X-Men to make them fit into the MCU and its tone. There's a major difference.

And don't pretend X-Men movies have dabbed in more depth than "Racism, homophobia, etc. are bad, and umm... that's pretty much it."
    Don't pretend that Logan, DoFP, X2 etc. were that superficial. For someone screaming about how mean MCU non-fans give it an unfair shake, you are pretty much the same tbh
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 11-11-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Amazing Member

Star Wars is likely the most valuable intellectual property Fox ever had and still is as they do have some rights left on it. Counting things like streaming or DVD distribution rights, the only property that is as valuable to them would be James Bond. So, I think it is wise if they don't sell off the X-Men and related spin-offs to the House of Mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    There IS a thing known as balance. There is a WHOLE spectrum of tones between Star-Lord and Guardians dance-off and Mutant Genocide 37.2 Also, why root for a company that has so callously and deliberately sidelined its properties that were its biggest cash cows for the longest time?
    Like two movies in the whole XCU can justify their serious tone.

Because Marvel Studios=/=Marvel Entertainment.

Iron Man 2 is a mess and if it had been a Fox movie, these very same defenders would have been all destroying it. Ditto for everything in Iron Man 3 including Tony's PTSD and him destroying all his suits to be with Pepper. None of which was explored further in Age of Ultron and the subsequent MCU films. Apparently continuity issues are only visible in Fox films?
    I didn't defend IM 2. You said they don't dab into issues like alcoholism. I pointed out that they do. Whether the movie was good or bad is irrelevant to that discussion.
    Why do you think Tony developed Ultron and those Iron Legions?

Wasn't a lobotomized son forced to do the bidding of his perpetrator of a father enough?
    If suicidal tendencies and PTSD aren't enough substitute for alcoholism, then no lobotomized son is not enough substitute for murdering newborn son.

Seeing the push that a Holocaust survivor like Magneto got from the very first scene of the franchise, it would have been slightly lopsided to depict another religion is such a stark negative light. X2 Stryker was more chilling and less caricaturish anyway.
    WHaaaat?!!!

In Logan.
    Getting a little bit angry is not berserker rage. Getting so overwhelmed that he doesn't even know the difference between friend or foe, that's berserker rage.

True and that's the REAL reason it stings, doesn't it? Well as I said before, say hi to Janet van Dyne fans and how they feel about the MCU's treatment of her. "Janet is not as important to Avengers as Cyclops is to X-Men" is not really an objective argument.
    If I had to choose between

Cyclops dies a heroic death, Jean gets affected by it, Rachel and her have a tense relationship because of that, strongly imply that Cyclops is not actually dead, come back in the sequel

and

Cyclops gets relegated to an obstacle for the cool guy TM to overcome, becomes background nobody, dies off screen for no reason, barely anyone cares, gets recast to a character who thinks mall is a matter of national pride, die off screen again in the future,

I would choose the former every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

And NO, Janet is NOT as important to the Avengers as Cyclops is to X-Men. YES, that is an objective argument. You don't prioritize Quicksilver over Captain America in the Avengers, you don't prioritize Aquaman over Superman in Justice League. I SHOULDN'T have to wait for 17 years for Cyclops to MAYBE have some kind of important role in an X-Men movie.

By stripping them of everything that made them THEM. And sorry to burst the bubble, but as "big" as the X-Men were even in the 90's, they were still pretty niche in the grand scheme of things. They never entered pop-culture subconscious like the likes of Batman, Superman and Spider-Man (or even Wonder Woman due to her connection to feminist movements). If Disney had basically made "X-Babies All Growed Up: The Franchise" which went on to make crazy Minions kind of merchandising movie, would that have been much better?
    By stripping off everything you mean, completely forgetting family and team dynamics? butchering nearly all of the great female characters, which are some of the best in all of comics? Making X-Men the most irrelevant thing in X-Men movies?

Isn't your argument X-Men movies are not fun and all ages? I didn't say MCU is not all ages, just that sometimes the main objective is to convince kids to drive their mom and dad crazy and shell out $$ for some unnecessary piece of plastic junk.
    My argument isn't that. My argument is that most X-Men movies are sillier and downright stupid than most MCU movies, but keep pretending they are above MCU movies, or more like their fans do that. Which makes them even worse.

Rogue One is an ancillary/one-off spin-off of a nostalgia based franchise. The Star Wars films after Disney bought is in still in the same continuity as the Star Wars films before Disney bought it, so they cannot mess around with the tones much there or face "This doesn't feel like Star Wars enough" (some of the new films still get that criticism though). The expectation of a hypothetical buyout is that Disney (still very unlikely but I'm just humoring you here) will hard reboot X-Men to make them fit into the MCU and its tone. There's a major difference.
    What kind of stupid argument is that? So they made a darker movie than any of the previous movies by Fox, but because it's in the same continuity, it doesn't count? WHAT?

Don't pretend that Logan, DoFP, X2 etc. were that superficial. For someone screaming about how mean MCU non-fans give it an unfair shake, you are pretty much the same tbh
    DoFP has as much depth as Civil War, at best. X2 is superficial, yes. Logan is dramatic and emotional, that's not the same as deep(and it doesn't need to be).

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Who's to say that Marvel will even bother rebooting X-Men? I mean sure, they'll have Wolverine and Deadpool in there and maybe a few other A-listers, but all the people thinking that Fox was the only thing standing in the way of their personal favorites getting serious screen time should probably temper their expectations. And also, screw Disney, having a giant media conglomerate that owns practically everything can only be bad for the consumer.
    Exactly. Thank you. And Confuzzled is also correct: Kevin Feige hasn't shown any interest in the X-MEN. I wish all our dreams could come true! But I repeat, Disney acquiring 20th Century Fox means Disney gets the rights to the FANTASTIC FOUR and X-MEN, not Marvel Entertainment. They will probably give the FF back to Feige, because Marvel Studios has already tried to get the rights to some of the characters like Galactus. And Mr. Feige likes the FF and wants to fit them into the MCU. Disney can give the X-Men rights to any studio they want! They can give them back to 20th Century Fox! They can give them to Pixar to make cartoon movies. I believe they'd have to have agreement from Marvel Entertainment for any television shows. Disney wants to start their own production company/streaming service like Netflix, and wants a major studio to help them do it.

I agree that some of the MCU films were more complex than others. The earlier ones, where the "Creative Committee" that included Brian Bendis and other editors and writers, held Marvel Studios' feet to the fire! Mr. Feige didn't like it--he helped Disney take direct control of the MCU, and dissolved the committee. I have no idea who except Joe Quesada has any hope of keeping the MCU as faithful to the comics as possible.

If Disney buys 20th Century Fox, they'll have the X-MEN rights in perpetuity, separate from Marvel Entertainment, Marvel Studios, and Marvel publishing input. We can only hope that someone in the chain of command up there is an X-Men fan. That's why I said, if the deal goes through, don't wear ruby-quartz glasses (or rose colored lenses either) and think everything is going to be okay. That's how certain idiots get elected to power--people think "change" or something new and unexpected is all that's needed to make all their dreams come true. If the deal goes through, get ready to fight for your X-Men and favorite characters via email, letter writing, protests, phone calls, social media, anything you can politely and legally do to get Disney to listen.

If Disney buys 20th Century Fox, they'll have the X-MEN rights in perpetuity, separate from Marvel Entertainment, Marvel Studios, and Marvel publishing input. We can only hope that someone in the chain of command up there is an X-Men fan. That's why I said, if the deal goes through, don't wear ruby-quartz glasses (or rose colored lenses either) and think everything is going to be okay. That's how certain idiots get elected to power--people think "change" or something new and unexpected is all that's needed to make all their dreams come true. If the deal goes through, get ready to fight for your X-Men and favorite characters via email, letter writing, protests, phone calls, social media, anything you can politely and legally do to get Disney to listen.
    That is broadly what I was trying to imply though a more subtly for those enthused at the prospect that this is not a warming of relations or even a Sony type deal where a few big name X-Men come to the MCU and the rest Fox does on its own. It all becomes Disney if this happens.

Marvel Entertainment may do darker fair and may be fine shows like Legion, The Gifted or films like Logan and Deadpool, but Disney would not be.

I would love the Magnus family under one studio roof, heck it would probably exist again in the comics a few months after the ink dried on the pen, but not so much I can’t see the major problems that the Disney buy out very well might bring those Fox is using if they even decide to use them and I have my doubts Lorna and Quicksilver would be remade. Magneto would probably be rebooted to Silver Age generic villainy.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-11-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Well, if the movie rights stayed with Fox instead of Marvel Studios, but with Disney owning Fox, would the X-Men ban on other media like games and cartoons stop?... Cause technically they would be a Disney property too, and I assume Disney would want them to be promoted instead of boycotted. But if they just let Marvel(Entertainment, that is different from Marvel Studios) do what they want, I wonder if they wouldn't keep banning X-Men from stuff so they all just have MCU characters...

Can Disney even do that? If they buy FOX they will have all of FOX's cable channels, it's movie studio, and the FOX television channel.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Well, if the movie rights stayed with Fox instead of Marvel Studios, but with Disney owning Fox, would the X-Men ban on other media like games and cartoons stop?... Cause technically they would be a Disney property too, and I assume Disney would want them to be promoted instead of boycotted. But if they just let Marvel(Entertainment, that is different from Marvel Studios) do what they want, I wonder if they wouldn't keep banning X-Men from stuff so they all just have MCU characters...
    The core to this deal is Fox as a company exists at the end of it at least in terms of its TV and sports stuff, but the studio and everything is absorbed by Disney.

Fox still exists in reduced form, but Fox Studios gets absorbed after such a deal as currently imagined though deal terms can change. Fox might not even want its former studio called Fox Studios if the deal happens and neither might Disney.

The ban is not Disney’s direct doing... it’s the doing of one of Disney’s major shareholders and head of Marvel Entertainment. He has been trying to squeeze Fox into a better deal. Though I think there are a number of better deals that would make Marvel Entertainment and Fox Studios happy at the same time.

Big chinks in the ban are already starting to open up over Marvel Entertainment and Fox’s collaboration in the past year on three TV shows. Moving toward a Sony type deal is what I have been hoping for and yes that would be more then enough to end the ban.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Can Disney even do that? If they buy FOX they will have all of FOX's cable channels, it's movie studio, and the FOX television channel.
    No to them owning two major network TV channels under federal law, but the rest yes, Fox would still exist in vastly reduced form the rest would be absorbed into Disney.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-11-2017 at 02:36 PM.

I highly doubt this will ever happen

I Hope this work out fine for the X-MEN

A MCU X-MEN movie will make the A-lister of the MU again.

Bye Avungers. The X-men will take the throne again.

Yep yep yep...X-Men everywhere again...t-shirts, toys, videogames, cartoons, statues, keychains, tv series and many many movies