Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I just read an article from Mashable that might make sense of this move. It gives one compelling reason as to why Disney would want to buy Fox: Netflix. It was already reported earlier this year that Disney is going to remove a large chunk of it's content from Netflix in the coming years so it can start it's own streaming service. But in order for that service to work, it needs content. Even with the MCU and Star Wars and Pixar, that might not be enough to compete with the vast library Netflix has, which is still growing. In order to beat Netflix, it needs more and the content Fox has would definitely give it an edge.

Again, I still think it's very unlikely. It would bring up way too many anti-trust concerns. However, I do now see why Disney might push for this. I just don't think they will be willing to pay the necessary price it would take, which includes all the legal headaches that it would incur.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    Yeah, I know it's an unpopular opinion. But a lot of Marvel Studios films (since the advisers' board was dissolved), are like video games, very juvenile in my opinion. I can't see Marvel Studios understanding a series like FX's "Legion," for example, or even "The Gifted." And the final Jackman Wolverine film "Logan" was subtle and excellent, far, far away from the amusement ride that is the latest THOR movie or the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY franchise.
    I guess an honest question would be how much Disney would want to shift everything X-Men back to Marvel Studios or just leave it on it's own since the Fox side of things still seems to be doing rather well (outside Apocalypse).

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    Yeah, I know it's an unpopular opinion. But a lot of Marvel Studios films (since the advisers' board was dissolved), are like video games, very juvenile in my opinion. I can't see Marvel Studios understanding a series like FX's "Legion," for example, or even "The Gifted." And the final Jackman Wolverine film "Logan" was subtle and excellent, far, far away from the amusement ride that is the latest THOR movie or the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY franchise.
    Yeah. New Thor was garbage and I was shocked how people in cinema enjoyed it. And I am not an MCU hater.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I’m more excited about a possible refocus on the Xmen in animated form/comics/tv series. If they could finally profit then we might get a second golden age and Marvel Universe won’t just be a hard on for the Avengers.
    Would love new X-Men Cartoon but Marvel is not producong good cartoons now.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess an honest question would be how much Disney would want to shift everything X-Men back to Marvel Studios or just leave it on it's own since the Fox side of things still seems to be doing rather well (outside Apocalypse).
    Much like with Sony I see the desire for them to want a few big names into the MCU and the rest say not Disney/MCU sanctioned films. But, things would return to at least the 2007 days as far as X-Men in other media.

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Don't get yall hopes up. Be prepared for dissapointment.
    If Murdoch is intent on selling away these things it will be gone. It is up to whether or not Disney really wants the property now.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Would love new X-Men Cartoon but Marvel is not producong good cartoons now.
    Still, having X-Men cartoons is better then no X-Men cartoons in my opinion, because I think it's important for kids to see them in a prominent way now since they've been so heavily embargoed in media and the cartoons for the past few years.

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Also if Disney gets FOX, they will finally have their hands on the original Star Wars trilogy. They are definitely aiming for all that content.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Disney owns way too much stuff already and the lack of competition will eventually be bad for fans.
    You’re absolutely right. One corporation should not own everything.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I am very skeptical of this. Why would News Corp sell an entire division to a rival company whose products actively compete against their own? It makes no business sense. Fox's movie division isn't operating at a loss, last I checked. Granted, Disney is making more with their movies, but profit is profit. On top of that, Fox would be giving a huge amount of assets to a competitor and for what? How much could they possibly gain with this sale beyond the initial sale price?

I'm sure those who want to see the X-men and F4 return to Marvel would love for this to happen, but I think this is about as likely as Marvel buying Superman from DC. It's just not going to happen. Even if both companies wanted to do it, I have a feeling the government won't allow it under anti-trust laws.
    News Corp already split up. The newspapers of News Corp became the new Nees Corp, and the movie and tv assets of News Corp became the separate Fox company. Fox Studios a year ago fired Rothman as the studio has not done so well and the Murdoch family would gladly get rid of it at this point. Disney would happily buy Fox for the IP. This is very real.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    News Corp already split up. The newspapers of News Corp became the new Nees Corp, and the movie and tv assets of News Corp became the separate Fox company. Fox Studios a year ago fired Rothman as the studio has not done so well and the Murdoch family would gladly get rid of it at this point. Disney would happily buy Fox for the IP. This is very real.
    Rothman was fired 5 years ago. 20th Century Fox is doing fine. It was the third highest grossing studio after Disney and WB in 2016.

This could be exciting, but my only gripe is that I speculate Marvel Studios would turn the X-Men into the same sausage fest that the Avengers franchise is. At the core of the X-Men is the leading ladies, and Fox doesn't do justice to them, and I don't think Marvel Studios will given how awfully white and male the Avengers franchise is.

I'd rather have the X-Men become a Netflix TV show because they do a better job at telling stories with diverse characters, and that's what the X-Men needs. But it would be a very expensive tv show...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    That sounds... Too big to be true? Like, I don't doubt Disney's power, but it sounds weird for a whole company to be bought like that, it's not like Fox was something like, Marvel.
    Fox is in talks to sell the movie studio to Disney. They cannot sell the tv network because no company can own two networks and they cannot sell the sports networks to Fisndy for the same reasons.

These talks are confirmed in all the major news sources. You guys should learn how to assess the credibility of news sources.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I just read an article from Mashable that might make sense of this move. It gives one compelling reason as to why Disney would want to buy Fox: Netflix. It was already reported earlier this year that Disney is going to remove a large chunk of it's content from Netflix in the coming years so it can start it's own streaming service. But in order for that service to work, it needs content. Even with the MCU and Star Wars and Pixar, that might not be enough to compete with the vast library Netflix has, which is still growing. In order to beat Netflix, it needs more and the content Fox has would definitely give it an edge.

Again, I still think it's very unlikely. It would bring up way too many anti-trust concerns. However, I do now see why Disney might push for this. I just don't think they will be willing to pay the necessary price it would take, which includes all the legal headaches that it would incur.
    It would bring up absolutely no antitrust com earns because Fox would only sell the movie studio to Disney. They'd keep their tv and sports networks.

And please, don't tell me you believe Trump cares about antitrust....

Quote Originally Posted by ButterRum View Post
    This could be exciting, but my only gripe is that I speculate Marvel Studios would turn the X-Men into the same sausage fest that the Avengers franchise is. At the core of the X-Men is the leading ladies, and Fox doesn't do justice to them, and I don't think Marvel Studios will given how awfully white and male the Avengers franchise is.

I'd rather have the X-Men become a Netflix TV show because they do a better job at telling stories with diverse characters, and that's what the X-Men needs. But it would be a very expensive tv show...
    Even Whedon admitted that the X-Men have the more prominent female heroes, which might be a boon to Disney/Marvel Studios if they can get any of the X-Men back.