Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    Why do people keep on calling Deadpool a black comedy? The Death of Stalin was a black comedy, Deadpool just had violence and bad words. The edgiest joke in it was about pegging. The character of Deadpool was significantly neutered to the point they had teenage girls hug him for being such a great guy.
    Evil Dead 2 is a black Comedy.
    The Blackadder shows are black comedies.
    Deadpool is a black comedy.
    Coming to America is a black comedy (but in a totally different meaning, and did you know that 'best black comedies' is basically ungoogleble?)
    Very Bad Things is a black Comedy.

Some of these are darker than others, much like Unbreakable and The Avengers are both superhero movies, but one is more superder than the other.

Astonishing Member

Why do people keep on calling Deadpool a black comedy? The Death of Stalin was a black comedy, Deadpool just had violence and bad words. The edgiest joke in it was about pegging. The character of Deadpool was significantly neutered to the point they had teenage girls hug him for being such a great guy.
    I consider a black comedy, anything that jokes about things that are terrible in nature. Besides the pegging scene, Wade and Vanessa make jokes about being molested during their childhood by relatives, Wade murdering someone with a Zamboni and how long that takes, Wade wondering if it is sexist to hit a woman or more sexist not to hit her as he's preparing to shoot her, Wade saying no one was hurt in his attack just as a dead body falls from the freeway sign. Wade having to kill 3 men with one shot because he wasted his ammo, the cousin of the cabbie being locked in a trunk and Wade encouraging the cabbie to commit murder, Wade referencing a Judy Blume book about menstruation as he cuts off his own hand, Wade taunting his blind roommate, and so many masturbation jokes.

I feel comfortable calling Deadpool a black comedy.

So who will own the 60s batman series and movie now?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Evil Dead 2 is a black Comedy.
    The Blackadder shows are black comedies.
    Deadpool is a black comedy.
    Coming to America is a black comedy (but in a totally different meaning, and did you know that 'best black comedies' is basically ungoogleble?)
    Very Bad Things is a black Comedy.

Some of these are darker than others, much like Unbreakable and The Avengers are both superhero movies, but one is more superder than the other.
    True but most of the comedy of Deadpool was raunchy humour rather than black comedy, a lot of Deadpool swearing and saying wacky stuff. But it's been over a year since I've seen it.

Mighty Member

Personally I am excited about it. One big reason is the possibility of something different. Every movie thus far released besides Deadpool and I think The Wolverine has been steeped in humans vs mutants. Even Legion and The Gifted are humans vs mutants. For all Logan's trying to be different it was still humans vs mutants with more gore and swearing.

The problem with that is twofold. First, the humans vs mutants angle has been played out in both the X-men franchise and in general(see shows like Heroes Reborn/Sense8), It's old hat at this point. I get that it was a basis of X-men but that only means that, ironically, a show about evolved humans needs to itself evolve.

The second is the X-men have such great ideas attached to their franchise that fox either hasn't touched or has botched. You have Phoenix and the cosmic forces it represents. You have the magical Juggernaught and his godly patron. You have the alien Shi'ar empire. You have The Thing meets Terminator in the Phalanx. You have Mojo and his interdimensional Running man show. You have Mr.Sinister, Onslaught, the Savage Land, etc. And what do we get movie after movie? More human vs mutant nonsense. It's like making Batman stuff where the villain is always Joker or Joker always makes a major cameo even when he's not the main villain. It's stale and wastes a great amount of potential of Batman's other rogues.

I believe earlier in this thread someone mentioned how they are worried about the X-men causing Marvel studio's creativity to be compromised because in the absence of major characters like the X-men marvel had to use lesser known characters. Well IMO Marvel is doing just fine. I want some of that creativity applied to the X-Men because fox has had it for almost 2 decades and is still doing the same old trick every chance it gets. I want the larger X-universe to start stepping up. I just don't see it happening at fox when humans vs mutants ad nauseam keeps selling.

Ultimate Member

Eh the "Marvel formula" is legitimately a thing. So I don't presume that they'd be more "creative." These are the people who repeated the "Iron Man formula" TWICE (with Ant Man and Doctor Strange" for goodness sake, and managed to write the Nazis almost completely out of WWII (you wouldn't get any concentration camp scenes in the MCU probably). Hence my concern, they won't be willing to really push the envelope when it comes right down to it.

Ultimate Member

If Kevin Feige wants the X-Men in the MCU he's going to get them. And I doubt a Gambit movie will be able to fit on his schedule of 3 movies a year.

I liked Logan but R-ratings don't make good movies and most superhero stories don't need them. X-Men is about teenage angst and should be open to younger audiences.
    Except that both of the R-rated films WERE good. Also you cannot criticize Fox for "lack of creativity" while then making such broad generlizations. The X-Men are a HUGE franchise with a wide variety of stories and characters. And yes, that includes more adult stories.

"X-Men is about teenage angst and should be open to younger audiences."

No it's not, this is simply factually not true. That's only one SMALL part of the franchise, but it's hardly the only one. Simple as that.

I don't know if it would dissolve FOX over ABC. Sure ABC might be the bigger broadcast, but FOX also has more channels associated with it then ABC. FX Channels for one, and FOX sports which is huge and gaining more ground on ESPN every day. Plus FOX broadcast news is the main right wing competitor against the many left wing news outlets so it dominates that whole area right there. Big Business is always going more conservative in that regard because of the tax breaks. It would make more sense to keep Fox when CBS and NBC can fight for the leftist liberterian market.

It is a black comedy of sorts. I won't argue that. Theres enough tragedy to market it as so.

how do I leave my own fresh comment on here. All I can do is reply. and I missing something?>

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjam2233 View Post
    how do I leave my own fresh comment on here. All I can do is reply. and I missing something?>
    The "Reply To Thread" button at the bottom?

BANNED

True but most of the comedy of Deadpool was raunchy humour rather than black comedy, a lot of Deadpool swearing and saying wacky stuff. But it's been over a year since I've seen it.
    Which does not make it not a black comedy.
    Especially if the wacky stuff includes stray body parts.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Honestly I think stuff like Secret Wars (or Flashpoint over on the DC side of things) would be too convoluted and confusing to transfer into a movie. Just my opinion, but I think it would be a turn off for the masses. You can pull that sort of thing off on a TV show where you have hours and hours to explain everything. But in a movie, I just don't know whether or not they can pull it off.
    Thats why you do it in many movies. Yeah a ton would have to be cut but you could tell the essence of that story and it be easy for casual fans to follow. I mean its pretty basic Reed only said it every single issue of New Avengers "universes are smashing together" Doom saves it all becomes the villain and the heroes take it all back. The first movie could be The New Avengers and open in the same way with Black Panther witnessing the first incursion and end the movie with Cap (or some other character) pushing the next incursion back with the gauntlet which fails and build from there.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Secret Wars would be easier than Flashpoint, but any movie implementation would be bound to be disappointing to fans of the mini-series. For a movie, the whole thing would have to be boiled down to a scene like Civil War was. The problem with Secret Wars, on its surface, is that it doesn't DO anything, it doesn't progress anything, it doesn't develop anything. Secret Wars as such doesn't tie into anything currently going on in the MCEU.

So it would end up being...a big fight, which is not really what keeps the MCEU going.
    It would be a way to tie all these new elements from Fox into the MCU in a cohesive manner. Im pitching Hickmans Secret Wars not the first one. That whole story from his first Avengers issue forward was one big tribute to the FF. What better way of bringing them home? I really just think it would make a great phase of films.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

According to Variety the deal will be upwards of $74 billion dollars.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/dis...rs-1202634210/

Here is what Disney is gonna get.

Disney is negotiating a deal valued at $74 billion by Bernstein Research analyst Todd Juenger, which he calculated as a 30% premium on the $57.4 billion enterprise value of the assets in question. The assets on the table include the 20th Century Fox film and TV studio, the FX Networks, Nat Geo Channels group, 22 regional sports networks, Fox’s collection of international channels, including Star India, and its 39% stake in Sky. Staying behind would be Fox Broadcasting Co., the 28 Fox O&O TV stations and the national Fox Sports and Fox News operations.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.