Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think the movies actually played a role in the Ultimate universe falling apart too.

The movies took a lot of inspiration from the Ultimate line. The regular titles started taking inspiration from the movies. The line between 616 and Ultimate (what was that, 161 or something?) thinned and the Ultimate comics started having to do more extreme and ridiculous things to stand apart. And that opened the door for stuff like Ultimatum.
    Much true. And Bendis doesn't get much fault for the burning of 1610 over Loeb, but Ultimates 3 came out with some pretty... unsatisfying stuff before the movies. It was already a little weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Much true. And Bendis doesn't get much fault for the burning of 1610 over Loeb, but Ultimates 3 came out with some pretty... unsatisfying stuff before the movies. It was already a little weird.
    Ah yes, I forgot Ultimates 3 hit before the movie influence......

And no, none of that's on Bendis. Not really.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The thing about the Ultimate line eventually falling apart is, DC, and especially Bendis since he was actually there, could potentially use that knowledge to not repeat past mistakes. Again I know i'm talking in ideals here instead of reality, as reality has shown that DC will very much, oftentimes stunningly, repeat past mistakes verbatim. But, yeah, I'm willing to grab hold on anything for support for the idea because I'd really love to see it. Its what in retrospect the New 52 should have been all along and think there's still a market for it.

I still very much tow the idea as well that in lore, you could make some sense as an "Ultimate" line being similar to the New 52 in some aspects by using the renewed Hypertime as an explanation. The explanation would be thusly:

Each universe has a main branch of reality. Hypertime works by the idea that there are offshoot branches of said reality that represent tons of different scenarios. And it just so happens that oftentimes, an offshoot branch of one universe's reality could end up resembling the main branch of another verse. And vice versa. Dr. Manhattan's manipulations on Earth-0 resulted in a branch of that continuity becoming the main reality, which it shouldn't have and was mostly reversed when time was fixed. But what it had created, in the time that it existed, happened to be similar to the main reality of another universe. And its that universe that would be explored in an "Ultimate" line. You can revive it as a new Earth-1. You can actually call it Earth-52 (I know that designation exists now thanks to Metal but I do believe that is a Dark Multiverse designation). You can call it anything you want. DC loves having their cake and eating it too. This would be a way to do that that actually makes sense. Well, comic book sense at least, lol.

But with my luck they'd do something like this and I'd end up hating it, haha.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-10-2017 at 03:43 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I dont see why a DC Ultimate type line *couldnt* work in theory. Even the Ultimate line itself flourished for years before dying from mismanagement.

I think that's the biggest problem, honestly. The main line can survive low quality runs and poor creative decisions. There's an established fanbase that'll put up with it, or at least return with a change in direction or creators. An imprint however, even a fresh new take on favorite IP's, doesn't have that benefit. It's an alternate reality, so it doesn't "matter" as much as the main line, and if a DC Ultimate book gets into rocky territory, people are more likely to jump ship and not look back. So the threat of failure is a lot worse.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

But Bendis did not create the Ultimate line and except for one book was barely involved in it.
    It was more Mark Millar's baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    But Bendis did not create the Ultimate line and except for one book was barely involved in it.
    It was more Mark Millar's baby.
    Yeah, we know. But Sacred has this desire to see an Ultimate DC line and he never misses a chance to bring it up.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, we know. But Sacred has this desire to see an Ultimate DC line and he never misses a chance to bring it up.
    Maybe one day my persistence will pay off! Or just drive me mad.

Probably drive me mad.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Marvel never rebooted so an alternate line was a nice change of pace for them. I think the lesson DC learned is to not fully commit. They have enough regular books to publish, ultimate would pull away time and effort, therefore money. So they publish things like Earth One and Being Super.

Fantastic Member

We don't need another Ultimate Superman. I want a wonderful, best-selling regular Superman run.
    I understand the criticism over Bendis but maybe change is good and he will pull out his "Rebirth" with Dc Comics. I can see him as a Superman writer. Just don't try to be edgy with Lois Lane and the rest of the cast. I still prefer Hickman on Superman and Legion.
    I love Batman but I hate it when Dc puts an exciting A-List character to Bat books right away. Superman needs an Hip-IV.

I want a wonderful "regular" Superman run too. But I also enjoy options, especially since there's key components to Superman's current status quo that I'm not that big a fan of. I'd take those options in Elseworld tales too but those seem off the table currently as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Maybe one day my persistence will pay off! Or just drive me mad.

Probably drive me mad.
    Someday I'll work my way into an editorial position at DC and I'll make it happen for you.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    To make it weekly you have to make more titles. Its possible that a new book of Superman is launched. To make it weekly you need to have either another book or keep one out of Superman or Action Comics biweekly as now.

I am fearful too. Let us talk about a positive possibility. If he gets another title like Adventures of Superman another monthly book which focuses on the Daily Planet staff and Clark Kent's life it may turn out to be good. I have read comments from fans that he writes street level heroes well. Another book with Daily Planet might be a great idea. He is not a bad writer. No one can stay for so long without having some talent. His work since a few years has been hated by lot of people. But maybe just maybe because he will try something new he may put his best effort and we can get some good stuff. Yes he can ruin so much. But he might improve it too. I admit i am trying to see half glass full instead of half glass empty but its unavoidable. I am sure someday if not now he will write Superman. Let us hope that when he does it is more like Ultimate Spider-man. Here read some comments about USM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Marvel/comm...gu&sh=21929bd9

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...k-ser-1466500/

Well Spider-man and Superman are too different. But to call him a bad writer is not fair. He has done good work. Perhaps a change will bring out the best in him.
    I think he'd really excel at writing the Planet staff, especially a really super assertive, b**-busting Lois. Bendis usually revamps things (Disassembled, All-New X-Men) when he comes on board and its too soon to revamp Superman. DC needs this current status quo to settle in longer before blowing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I can see him retcon Jonathan Kent to oblivion, pairing Lois Lane with another female, and just plain destroy all the Superman Mythos.
    I don't see DC letting anyone retcon Jonathan out. There's too much tied up in the character, especially in other areas such as media and merchandising. DC finally got another Damien, if anything they need to retcon a young daughter for Diana to team-up with the supersons.

Bendis posted a huge stack of very varied DC trades he's reading to bone up. Of course it's not something to take seriously, but of all the trades (hilariously, like half of them written by Johns) he has some solid Superman and Legion stuff in there. The 75 years collection, Golden Age omni,World's Finest by Gibbons and Rude (!), Elseworlds Son of Superman, Great Darkness Saga, The Curse, and the Johns run with Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I think he'd really excel at writing the Planet staff, especially a really super assertive, b**-busting Lois. Bendis usually revamps things (Disassembled, All-New X-Men) when he comes on board and its too soon to revamp Superman. DC needs this current status quo to settle in longer before blowing it up.
    Its nice to hear that he is capable of writing an awesome Lois Lane. I would always want that. But can't he write within the Reborn framework? I don't want this to go at all. I am in love with Superman, Lois and Jon as a unit. The sum is greater then its parts. The present status quo is the most interesting time for me. Its possible that a wife and mother can be just as awesome. To think otherwise is foolishness. People may say anything but a married Lois has ensured that she plays an important part in the books. There are even a few issues focused on her. Break the marriage and after Bendis leaves or even within his time, her role could become an afterthought. And getting rid of Jon appears to be the dumbest idea. Even Damian has lots of fans who is frankly an annoying character. (I like him though). Given time and proper effort Jon can be a wonderful addition to the mythos just like Supergirl.