Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I honestly don't even think what they're doing is super similar to the DCYou (at least not with all their titles). Some of their titles like Captain America, Avengers, Thor, and Ultimates (RIP) are doing standard superhero stuff, but the volume is turned up or, in Cap's case, they finally got it to the right tune. The DCYou was a deliberate departure in the soul interest of something new. For some of Marvel's titles that's for sure what they started out doing, but they seem to finding a really nice balance now.

Whatever the case, I'm down for something that's not our current Superman stuff, and I'm basically hoping that it turns out good if not great. No real telling how Bendis will approach the character and what from his previous works will carry over, but I'm down see, and I wish him and his team the best of luck.
    All of this.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think Jim Lee is a fantastic pin-up artist, but has no real talent for sequential art, story flow, expressing emotions other than anger and stoicism...

And even if I were the world's biggest Jim Lee fanboy on earth, I can't picture a writer and artist less compatible than Bendis and Jim Lee. Their styles are polar opposites.
    Well, the current rumor is that his art team on Superman will be Reis and Prado, so Lee is just for this #1000 backup. Considering the former rumor is true of course. I think his grand debut being Action #1000 lends a lot of credence to the rumor though, for reasons Superlad and others have already pointed out.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It definitely sounds like Bendis is poised to take over. You don't get a name that big and just stick him on Superman's anniversary issue just cuz, unless it's a prelude to him starting a run.

Bring it on I say. We need a shakeup ASAP. As for Lee, I doubt he will stick around longer than the backup story.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    You don't get a name that big and just stick him on Superman's anniversary issue just cuz
    I mean, yeah you do. Even if Bendis wasn't doing Superman, I wouldn't have been surprised if this had still ended up his DC debut.

Lee's an odd choice for Bendis, but he was inevitably gonna be somewhere in here, and I guess pairing him with the Big New Name makes sense.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

At the moment, we just have to take this on a "test the water" basis. Also Bendis may not yet be in any shape for a sustained run given his health scare, so a little easy traffic like this can be good for him in the long run. A short story won't expose him, it'll give readers a "feel" for what he can do...and there's actually no guarantee he will be writing a story set in the present either (which would be a big indicator he'd be taking over), especially given his Superman bucket list included wanting to write him "very back to basics"

Amazon has Action Comics vol.6 available for pre-order stating:

"Classic Superman scribe Dan Jurgens (THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN) continues his epic return to the Man of Steel in SUPERMAN: ACTION COMICS VOL. 6, collecting issues #1001-1006."

Hopefully Jurgens does stay on as I've been really enjoying the books since rebirth.

I thought the rumor was Bendis taking over Superman after his backup in Action 1000..

Quote Originally Posted by durabill View Post
    Amazon has Action Comics vol.6 available for pre-order stating:

"Classic Superman scribe Dan Jurgens (THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN) continues his epic return to the Man of Steel in SUPERMAN: ACTION COMICS VOL. 6, collecting issues #1001-1006."

Hopefully Jurgens does stay on as I've been really enjoying the books since rebirth.

I thought the rumor was Bendis taking over Superman after his backup in Action 1000..
    Key word here being "rumor".

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Key word here being "rumor".
    I agree maybe he'll end up doing a new JSA title

Spectacular Member

I think Bendis probably has a great take on Superman. They key for him is to keep the stories smaller. Focus on the earth based villains and Clark Kent the reporter, and I think he'd churn out some good stories.

I know this isn;t a popular opinion, but Bendis is easily one of my op 5 comic book writers. His Ultimate Spider-man run is what got me into comics and is probably one of the best runs on a major comic book character. His Daredevil run is, in my opinion, THE best run on a major comics character ever. There are others that come close, but that run is phenomenal. I am very, very excited by the prospect of Bendis on Superman.

People are acting like he's taking over the title entirely with this back-up story!
    I mean this is a pretty good sign that he might be taking over after this backup. It's still a rumour at this point but I won't be surprised if we hear an announcement confirmation this month or in February.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Remember all the buzz when DC landed the Kubert brothers years back, and they ended up doing, like, a handful of covers before quietly fading away?

I hope this Bendis acquisition is kinda like that.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Remember all the buzz when DC landed the Kubert brothers years back, and they ended up doing, like, a handful of covers before quietly fading away?

I hope this Bendis acquisition is kinda like that.
    Or it could be like with JMS, who had a hand in one of the more controversial runs of any comic book (which happened to be about Spider-Man also) only to wind up writing the most critically derided Superman story of the 21st century (thus far) and a couple of mediocre graphic novels about the character before he tired of the schedule and departed.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

^ ^ ^

There's a good idea! Give Bendis the "Earth One" line and let him be.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by durabill View Post
    I agree maybe he'll end up doing a new JSA title
    Bite your tongue! (Or your typing fingers!)
    Don't even hint at such blasphemy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I mean this is a pretty good sign that he might be taking over after this backup. It's still a rumour at this point but I won't be surprised if we hear an announcement confirmation this month or in February.
    It could happen, but I don't think in any way it is a "good sign" one way or another.
    Bendis is a huge name just coming over to DC. Why wouldn't DC want him on a single story in Action Comics #1000 whether he does inherit a Superman title or not?
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 01-12-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Bite your tongue! (Or your typing fingers!)
    Don't even hint at such blasphemy!!!:
    Lol how bout The New Guardians then, the ones from Millennium.