Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

I like some things that Bendis writes but him on a Superman title....I respectfully say, please do not do that DC!! I actually like the current Superman and Action Comics title.

When it comes to big name titles Bendis is a hit or a miss. Ultimate Spider-Man Hit or Miss most issues. Avengers Hit or Miss most issues. Jessica Jones Hit, Daredevil Hit, X-Men complete MIss.

Superman is a optimistic character that is supposed to inspire ppl to be better that does not mesh well with Bendis' cynicism, and dark Brooding nature. I can see Bendis on either a Batman Book (Lord Knows DC is not opposed to yet another Batman Book, *insert eye roll here*)

Or a Birds of Prey book, Green Arrow, or maybe they might try to make him bring up another character, like: The Question, or Dr. Fate, or maybe Batwoman. Bendis works well with single focused Characters, with a limited cast, his Jessica Jones, Daredevil and Moon Knight runs are my absolute favorites. All of them dark and brooding characters that were put through the wringer and now have been brought to the limelight of mainstream pop culture. Team Books are not his thing his thing so please no Justice League, or Teen Titans.

And Please Please No Superman for him.

I hope he's recovering well though.
    Last edited by the nomad; 12-11-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    interesting. i've enjoyed jurgens' action comics. i've recently begun picking up and reading the 90s triangle era superman for the first time, which has made me appreciate jurgens both past and present. he is not the super-writer i'd prefer to be removed to bring bendis aboard. ah well.
    From the way Bendis has hinted here and there, I have to imagine he's gotta be a Jurgens fan. The baton pass should be alright.

As others have mentioned, Bendis is king of polarizing hit or miss stuff. Who knows what he'll bring? Especially with a new editor. In any case, I wish him a strong recovery.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    Superman is a optimistic character that is supposed to inspire ppl to be better that does not mesh well with Bendis' cynicism, and dark Brooding nature. I can see Bendis on either a Batman Book (Lord Knows DC is not opposed to yet another Batman Book, *insert eye roll here*)

Or a Birds of Prey book, Green Arrow, or maybe they might try to make him bring up another character, like: The Question, or Dr. Fate, or maybe Batwoman. Bendis works well with single focused Characters, with a limited cast, his Jessica Jones, Daredevil and Moon Knight runs are my absolute favorites. All of them dark and brooding characters that were put through the wringer and now have been brought to the limelight of mainstream pop culture.
    I've never really understood this critique of a writer. That basically dismisses at least two of the best Superman writers in the last 30 years: Grant Morrison and Mark Millar. Morrison's able to write some pretty depressing and messed up books like Happy and Nameless, but he's also the guy that did All Star Superman, Thunder World, and Klaus. The same is true for Millar. The dude wrote Wanted, Nemesis, and Ultimates (basically one big awesome cynical political cartoon that degenerated greatly when it got to Ultimate Avengers). Those are all books that basically go out of their way to actively subvert, poke fun at, and demystify everything about superhero comics.......but then he also wrote Superman Adventures, Starlight, and Huck.

I'm not comparing the skills of Bendis, Morrison, or Millar, but I'm saying that these people write for a living, and it's not too out of the way to think that any of them can switch up their styles if the story demands it. It's way I scratch my head every time someone puts a guy like Tom King in the "dark and cynical" box. I mean, he also wrote the Darkseid War GL tie-in, and that book had an extremely optimistic takeaway by the end.

So, I'm just kind of like lets let Bendis do his thing, and let his work ultimately speak for itself. As a side note: I personally think a healthy contrast of cynicism ends up being good for a Superman run. Gives texture to the world, and the contrast only serves to elevate Superman's deeds. That said, it shouldn't be an unyielding cynical schlock, and I doubt Bendis (or anyone really) would do that.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    What woman writers were you thinking
    After Supergirl: Being Super, Mariko Tamaki always comes to mind.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    After Supergirl: Being Super, Mariko Tamaki always comes to mind.
    Marguerite Bennett and Holly Black as well, and DeConnick on a Lois book. De Liz if that bridge is ever mended.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I've never really understood this critique of a writer.
    I'd say the same about dialogue. Without actual delivery, it's easy for lines to live or die depending on the writer emphasis. Jurgens kinda has a foot off the gas these days, where he writes little to no gags. Morrison and johns have put down lines with little worth outside of meta context. Bendis is known for gripping crime stuff, but memes of his dialogue show some stuff that many find cringeworthy and lazily repetitive.

So, I'm just kind of like lets let Bendis do his thing, and let his work ultimately speak for itself. As a side note: I personally think a healthy contrast of cynicism ends up being good for a Superman run. Gives texture to the world, and the contrast only serves to elevate Superman's deeds. That said, it shouldn't be an unyielding cynical schlock, and I doubt Bendis (or anyone really) would do that.
    I feel the same. But in any case, I have to recommend avoiding his sentry or X-Men, if you decide to check out some superhero stuff for a feel of a hint.

Fantastic Member

I want Bendis on one the of the Superman titles, alongside with a hip writer like Kelly Sue DeConnick.
    Remember when Jeph Loeb and Joe Casey took over the Sup-family? It was a needed hip-IV.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'd say the same about dialogue. Without actual delivery, it's easy for lines to live or die depending on the writer emphasis. Jurgens kinda has a foot off the gas these days, where he writes little to no gags. Morrison and johns have put down lines with little worth outside of meta context. Bendis is known for gripping crime stuff, but memes of his dialogue show some stuff that many find cringeworthy and lazily repetitive.
    All I'll say is dialogue is not my only issue with Jurgens' writing. I can handle me some stilted, overwrote, generic, or even cringeworthy dialog. Tomasi's early Rebirth stuff I loved so much was far from poetry. Miller's a better example. Sometimes most of his characters sound the same, and most inexplicably turn into one-line spouting bad-asses before act 3 (not all, but most). Some even sound like it's clearly being written by a Scotsmen/Englishmen who is approximating America via short hand. And that's perfectly fine--even charming and fun most of the time. Miller's even reached the point where he has key lines of dialog in every single one of his books, and I more or less have no real issue with it.

I've read Bendis before, and I've seen some really, really good showing from him, and some pretty cringeworthy stuff. But I'm in a spot where I'm pretty much just down for the new blood, fresh eyes, and apparent enthusiasm. Plus, the prospect of the artist (and writers) he'll likely bring with him has me pretty dang hype.

Side note: if the idea is that Bendis is the shake up guy on Action and Superman is where the more traditional stuff goes down, then Jeff Parker gets my pick from now and till the end of time. Why he hasn't worked on Superman for an extended period of time is beyond me. I mean, like, is the homie still even doing the Future Quest spin-off?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Bendis is really like the richest kid in a phys ed room when it comes to picking who's on his team. I can't even imagine if he somehow brought Maleev, Pichelli, Marquez, etc. to Superman. I recall he's pretty good friend with Oeming, and I'd love for them to co-write or something.

Jeff Parker not doing Superman anything will forever bum me out. And my LCS doesn't even get consecutive FQ issues.

Rereading Rob Williams' Adventures of Superman issue, and I'm thinking he'd be pretty perfect for a similar contrasting role to Bendis that I think Parker would play well. I give him a mulligan on that Action Comics two-parter just before Oz Effect, and the holding pattern that Trinity seems to be in. I think he'd have something great to say if he were told that he had room to breath and create properly.

I wonder if Jurgens is setting up for a Booster Gold book after Action? His fans are worried about the idea of him getting forced out, so him getting a book with a fan favorite character that he created seems like a the best way to usher him out. BG is also apparently getting a movie sometime in the future, so him getting a book soon is likely. Gleason and Tomasi would have Super Sons (maybe them co writing Sons of Tomorrow is a test run?), and Jurgens will have BG.

I feel like that's pretty fair for everyone. After his recovery (hope it's all going well), Bendis goes on to get Action, and hopefully either King, Priest, or Parker gets Superman, and everybody (most me of course) wins

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I wonder if Jurgens is setting up for a Booster Gold book after Action? His fans are worried about the idea of him getting forced out, so him getting a book with a fan favorite character that he created seems like a the best way to usher him out. BG is also apparently getting a movie sometime in the future, so him getting a book soon is likely. Gleason and Tomasi would have Super Sons (maybe them co writing Sons of Tomorrow is a test run?), and Jurgens will have BG.

I feel like that's pretty fair for everyone. After his recovery (hope it's all going well), Bendis goes on to get Action, and hopefully either King, Priest, or Parker gets Superman, and everybody (most me of course) wins
    Wait, I thought you liked Tomasi's run on Superman?

According to his Twitter, Bendis has been back in the hospital since yesterday (since Monday). He said the infection flared up but he said they have it under control. He is still tweeting though and he hopes to be home in a couple of days.

Hope the guy recovers soon. From what little Ive seen he seems like a good person.

Im still not totally sold on the idea of him writing Superman.....he'd either write one of the best runs the character has seen in the modern age or one of the worst.

But he seems to care about the character a lot, which is something I think Clark needs right now. I've heard some people say that they dont want Batman fans (professional writers, not *just* random fans) writing Batman books, because the degree of fan-wank Batgod-ing gets to be too much. But I think Clark could benefit from some unabashed adoration and love, and not a writer who feels like they need to deconstruct him and rebuild him into something they find interesting, as has so often been the case.

If Bendis does truly get the character (which in my mind largely just means acknowledging that he existed before 86) I say welcome aboard. We've accepted far worse.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Wait, I thought you liked Tomasi's run on Superman?
    Yeah, I sure did, didn't I? Good times.

But, those times have since passed.....about 12 issues ago. Since then my enthusiasm has waxed and waned under the ever increasing winds of mediocrity.

That said, I will find myself giving the occasional "oh that's pretty dope" for individual moments and issues (seldom these days). Super Sons is still my jam right now, though.