Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Bendis on Superman (or Batman) scares me. I'd prefer Nightwing or Legion or...well, just anything besides Superman or Batman until he proves himself.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Bendis on Superman (or Batman) scares me. I'd prefer Nightwing or Legion or...well, just anything besides Superman or Batman until he proves himself.
    That's a more balanced view. Let him work on something else first. If he does good work the general negative sentiment would be reduced to an extent. He is a good writer but the comments of the fans worry me the most. I have not read his stuff but anyone who has such a presence in Marvel must have something to show for it. But that does not mean i am not fearful. Superman books are looking up after a long time. Let DC not put it down again.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    I found this today....

Attachment 57528

LEGION OF SUPERHEROES, SUPERMAN, ACTION COMICS... They are in danger with another Luthor..
    Y'know what? If he wants to bring Pichelli with him, I would happily (I think) take him on Action after 1000.

I'd be super sad to see him replace Tomasi, but I'd give his Action a shot with an open mind.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm not a Superman guy but I love me some Bendis. If he's passionate about the character, I say let him have it. He had a few missteps but usually he's gold.

I'm not a Bendis guy but I love me some Superman.

I say keep him away from the dude.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I'm not a Superman guy but I love me some Bendis. If he's passionate about the character, I say let him have it.
    No thanks, he apparently wants to take him back to basics, which the character has long outgrown

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    No thanks, he apparently wants to take him back to basics, which the character has long outgrown
    Is there a link or anything to this? I'd like to know what he means by "back to basics." That could mean almost anything.

A lot of the time when DC talks about Superman going back to basics, what they really mean is back to 1986.

Does Bendis mean Silver Age back to basics, when many of the concepts and elements we consider crucial to the property were invented, with a single Superman who is the cosmic super scientist and puzzle solver with virtually unlimited power? This is arguably the character's most popular and definitive era.

Does he mean the Golden Age social crusader with limited powers and no qualms about throwing his weight around? That would *actually* be going back to basics but almost no one ever means that when they say it.

I'd be very interested in knowing what Bendis considers "basic" for Superman, because Superman has been a lot of things over the years.

EDIT: ya'll know he'd rock the hell out of an Elseworlds story with Golden Age, street level sensibilities.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Is there a link or anything to this? I'd like to know what he means by "back to basics." That could mean almost anything.
    "VERY" back to basics

On the previous page, courtesy of adkrko

Apparently Hickman might be on his way over too.

Now THAT will get Superlad excited.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    "VERY" back to basics

On the previous page, courtesy of adkrko

Sounds like Bendis wants to bring his artists with him to DC .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Apparently Hickman might be on his way over too.

Now THAT will get Superlad excited.
    Oh that IS good news. We could actually get a Crisis event that actually feels like one.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sounds like Bendis wants to bring his artists with him to DC .
    Now that could make me read Superman!!
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 11-08-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Depends.

Does he genuinely love or even like Superman, even if only in his own unique way?

Has he ever, even informally, expressed a fondness for Superman?

Because if not, why would he suddenly "get" the character now?

So it depends ...
    Yes. Frequently on Twitter and Instagram. And he's always expressed frustration at the direction shifts. Also, when Bendis was an artist, he was kind of a John Byrne imitator.

Honestly, I'd expect a run by him to be kind of like John Byrne's but without the forced clunky bits (Sleez, executing Phantom Zoners, Pocket Universe), with more Whedon-esque dialogue, and with more embrace of modern continuity and new developments.

That said, there'd be something to be said for putting him on Nightwing, one of Batgirl's books, Titans, or JSA -- something where you might expect to see a bigger sales jolt. Superman sales have a high floor, especially when done fairly competently. The more B and C list characters (in terms of broader public awareness) get more boost out of a big name like this.

Incredible Member

Also, I do get a bit excited about the idea of, say, cutting Superman back down to monthly (seems it would fit with the creative team's pace easier) and putting Bendis on a Lois Lane book.

After ACTION #1000, I think there might be a good opportunity to scale back on the double shipping in favor of four monthly books that crossover a few times a year again, like we had in the 90s and early 2000s.

Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

I'm not saying Bendis will definitely be good for superman or a definitely will be bad for Superman, but I will say that I have no doubt he really loves the character. I've seen him post multiple times about every incarnation of the character over the years, whether golden silver bronze post crisis or modern. I think Bendis would take a very similar approach to the character that johns did in his run on the character with Gary Frank