Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

You pretty much have to believe he wouldn't be coming to DC to take over minor characters. My guesses are JLA and a new All-Star Batman

I realize I'm opening a can of worms here, but I've never read anything Bendis has written beyond Torso and a couple of issues of Ultimate Spider-Man, what is it that makes people so negative towards his writing? Technical skills like structure, dialogue and pacing, or stuff like "He coupled character X with character Y, when character X clearly belongs with character Z!"
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Best case scenario for me would be Bendis launching a Tim Drake solo while Tynion stays on 'tec, but I know he's too big a name for that.
    I am all for the Tim Drake solo book for Bendis, but would be surprised if he did not end up on Tec 1000. It is not till 2019 so he may already be on Tec before that. It seems like it would be the perfect book for him to come in on and maybe boost sales. Do not pay enough attention to know if he sells anymore, but I would think it would move the needle if it is first story in DC.

Astonishing Member

Isn't Priest getting Justice League?

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    I realize I'm opening a can of worms here, but I've never read anything Bendis has written beyond Torso and a couple of issues of Ultimate Spider-Man, what is it that makes people so negative towards his writing? Technical skills like structure, dialogue and pacing, or stuff like "He coupled character X with character Y, when character X clearly belongs with character Z!"
    IMHO it is very hard for any comic writer to be in the business for 18 years and not develop a legion of people who dislike him/her. Hell, you have DC fans that despise Geoff Johns after everything he has done for GL and Aquaman. Sometimes runs just don't work. Bendis's run on Ultimate Spider-Man is one of the greatest runs in comic book history, and he has had some hits and misses since then

Only speaking for myself, I don't really like his dialogue (since he makes everyone sound similar) or his tendency to ignore continuity for his own purposes, especially in terms of characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    I am all for the Tim Drake solo book for Bendis, but would be surprised if he did not end up on Tec 1000. It is not till 2019 so he may already be on Tec before that. It seems like it would be the perfect book for him to come in on and maybe boost sales. Do not pay enough attention to know if he sells anymore, but I would think it would move the needle if it is first story in DC.
    'Tec doesn't need a sales boost.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

His work is very decompressed, and his dialogue and the way he makes his characters talk or drone on has been very parodied as of late.

He's also got characters and concepts that he's obviously not suited for, and is far from the best when it comes to continuity that's not his own.

All-New Member

Loathe as I am to admit it, Bendis on Cyborg has potential to be a really good. It combines some of the most solid aspects of Bendis’ writing; young, fun characters and witty super geniuses.

That said, it’s odd to me no one has so far mentioned another contender for a big Bendis book at DC....Shazam

Quote Originally Posted by sparechange View Post
    Loathe as I am to admit it, Bendis on Cyborg has potential to be a really good. It combines some of the most solid aspects of Bendis’ writing; young, fun characters and witty super geniuses.

That said, it’s odd to me no one has so far mentioned another contender for a big Bendis book at DC....Shazam
    I guess I could see him building well-enough from John's Shazam reboot.

It'll mean a bleak future for DC. The guy is awful and ruined every character he touched over there. I wonder if he'll have the same level of success at DC wthout editorial bending backwards to tie everything happening companywide to his rehashed storylines.

Peace

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

His writing is extremely decompessed, he has a tendency toward ignoring character continuity for the sake of his own story and his dialogue leaves something to be desired.

I hope they put him on titles that play to whatever strengths he might have regardless of whether they might be high profile ones or not.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 11-07-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    This is a terrible news.

But I'm surprised that he left Marvel and wonder what actually happened?
    Money. That's what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Only speaking for myself, I don't really like his dialogue (since he makes everyone sound similar) or his tendency to ignore continuity for his own purposes, especially in terms of characterization.

'Tec doesn't need a sales boost.
    It may not need one, but if they can sell more with Bendis on it they would be stupid not to do it. They want to make as much money as they can and he will probably sell more then the current writer even if it has been a solid run.

Quote Originally Posted by doomeye56 View Post
    Priest is already announced to take over from Hitch
    But they never said how long Priest would be on JL, though. For all we know, could just be one arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    But they never said how long Priest would be on JL, though. For all we know, could just be one arc.
    We also do not know how long till Bendis comes in he could have just signed and have no plans yet.