Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    BANNED

batman and outsiders? Static Shock? The flash and the legends of tomorrow? Rose and Thorn? Gangbuster,? Harley Quin ? Who shall suffer from the phenomena that is Bendis?

I'd love to see them put him on a couple of second tier books....see what he can do with them. Or bring back some kind of Gotham Central type of book where he remain very street level.

Please keep him away from core Batman and Superman books.

I dunno, though...he, years ago, was a solid writer, with solid ideas. Maybe change of pace will do him good.

It means a lot of ignored continuity and terrible team books.

Hitch's run on JL was not well received. Except for perhaps the last arc 'Legacy'. Is Bendis so bad in team books?

Always Rakzo

Checked this early.

... Well, I guess he could bring sales at the very least.

Seriously though, I think that current Bendis is far from being as good as his Daredevil/Alias days. Some people often complaint about how current Geoff Johns's work is not as good as his early projects but he's not even close to the kind of downgrade that Bendis suffered over the course of the years and this is especially obvious due to the difference in quality between the recent Jessica Jones book and the original Alias.

Anyway, could Bendis himself get a "Rebirth" now that he's working on different characters? Maybe? Who knows?

Now that I think about it, a Justice League International Rebirth book from him should be fitting.

The best answer I've seen so far is have him write only Elseworld stuff so he can't truly damage anything.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Wonder if they will hand him the keys to Shazam.....movie on the horizon, character doesn't currently have a solo title (Does he?) and could probably be considered a character he could "rehab" a bit.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    I realize I'm opening a can of worms here, but I've never read anything Bendis has written beyond Torso and a couple of issues of Ultimate Spider-Man, what is it that makes people so negative towards his writing? Technical skills like structure, dialogue and pacing, or stuff like "He coupled character X with character Y, when character X clearly belongs with character Z!"
    Bendis has a style that works very well for some books and not at all for others. There is usually not a lot of middle ground. When he writes outside of his strengths it is usually not good at all, but when he was at Marvel they didn't care if he was a good fit for the book and just put him on it anyway because he was a big name. This led to some just horrible stuff like his runs on the X-Men. He also is not an event guy and Marvel kept letting him do major event books even though they all fell apart about half way through and had garbage endings.

When he sticks to the more street level type characters he can be a very good writer. His Spider Man and Daredevil runs are classics. When he tries to do "big" stories he a lot of the time lacks the imagination needed to tell a good story. The worst is when he tries to write anything cosmic in nature. He just can not write anything alien to save his life and ruined the Guardians of the Galaxy book over at Marvel when they let him try.

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    Wonder if they will hand him the keys to Shazam.....movie on the horizon, character doesn't currently have a solo title (Does he?) and could probably be considered a character he could "rehab" a bit.
    I don't remember who else said it elsewhere on the boards, but they might put him on Static Shock and the whole bringing in of Dakota and all that. It would be a good place for him to be.

I would like Bendis in Green Arrow, it would be an interesting take and his canon is pretty malleable, besides being a street hero, that are the kind of characters that Bendis handles the better
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    God I hope not. Shazam seems like the polar opposite of to the type of book Bendis is good at. It would just not be a good fit at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    We also do not know how long till Bendis comes in he could have just signed and have no plans yet.
    Exactly. There are a lot of variables, so we really can't say what he will and will not be working on at DC at this point.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 11-07-2017 at 11:05 AM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Wow, this is pretty huge news! I'm actually more ambivalent about Bendis than most seem to be. He has a very specific style that only works in certain cases but when he's on form and paired with the right charcater, he's pretty terrific. No real interest in seeing a JLA or Legion from him (though both would be in better states than they are now) but he would be great on a solo book, preferably a somewhat smaller character. Bleeding Cool suggested that Zatanna might be his first book and that would be interesting - as would something like Catwoman or a Tim Drake series.

The main key with utilizing Bendis correctly, I think, is not making him an "architect" of the DCU but instead allow him to work his magic on more self-contained series. People like to bitch about his Avengers or X-Men but let's not forget, this is the dude that wrote Ultimate Spider-man, which is about as good a teen superhero comic as you could possibly hope to find AND one of the most importat and quintessential comic book works of the first decade of the 21st century.

Plus, honetsly, just based on what I've heard in interviews, he seems like a stand up guy with real passion for his work.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Hitch's run on JL was not well received. Except for perhaps the last arc 'Legacy'. Is Bendis so bad in team books?
    He's very good at street level books, and is very questionable on team hero books and team cosmic books.

Generally, his team books have succeeded or not based on significant sweeping status quo changes, and whether or not the reader likes those changes. He very rarely shows proper respect for what has come before if it conflicts with what he wants to do.

I think he could be a great asset to the Bat or Arrow lines, but needs to be treated like any other writer and not allowed to act as an "architect" of the DCU as a whole.

get ready for some retcons to origins.

I dont think there is a book he wrote where he didnt retcon the origin of the characters.