Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

What?

I just...what ?

I mean, how did this happen? Bendis has always been a Marvel guy, and he's one of their biggest sellers, and more often then not they give him carte blanche to do whatever the heck he wants. Why would he jump ship like this? Perlmutter? Boredom? Did DC give him a really good offer?

Certainly I have very many misgivings about Bendis, as much as I have enjoyed his work in the past, but this is still a major get for DC and a major loss for Marvel.

I guess I can just hope that whatever titles they give him is smaller-scale and secluded enough for him to fit in and not cause too much fuss.

BANNED

The only person I want taking over Batman is someone who will undo Tom King's BS. Would happily see an "Almost all of it was just a dream" explanation if that's what it took.

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Batfans are already complaining of King's dialogue repetition. Imagine the rage when Batman starts doing Bendis speak. Good Lord!
    At his best, he left the Bendis speak to the regular joes and comedic relief characters in his comics. He didn't have Matt Murdock constantly cracking wise.

If he can channel that here I'm more than happy to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I think they should give him Batman. King sucks on that title and they could use a good writer.
    True, except Bendis is a horrible writer who doesnt use any superhero conventions and cant tell a story to save his life

So the vibe I'm getting here is that Bendis does well with street - level heroes (from Batman-types all the way up to Spider-Man-types), likes diversity pushes, does not do well with high-powered heroes (like Superman or Wonder Woman types) nor with big events, and brings with him a considerable fanbase of his own.

If those are his parameters, then I have 2 questions:

1) which DC characters is he known to actively already like?

2) which DC property would most likely need the shot in the arm he would bring?

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    The only person I want taking over Batman is someone who will undo Tom King's BS. Would happily see an "Almost all of it was just a dream" explanation if that's what it took.
    Isn't it just the Holly thing?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    At his best, he left the Bendis speak to the regular joes and comedic relief characters in his comics. He didn't have Matt Murdock constantly cracking wise.

If he can channel that here I'm more than happy to have him.
    Bendis has changed a lot since his Daredevil run. Even his Daredevil run is closer to a Green Arrow or Nightwing run, than a Batman run. I also don't think Bendis can characterize Bruce well. He will most likely make him closer to Dick or Tim in personality (look at his Iron Man run).

DC just give him a young character and DON'T PUT HIM IN TEAM BOOKS!

Fantastic Member

I don't want no major events written by him, keep him away from any major characters, keep him away from retconing the past for his own narrative purposes.

**** BENDIS!

**** THAT GUY! He RUINED X MEN with House of M!
    Dreaded, run from it, Bendis still arrives to ruin your canon.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This is a huge win for DC in terms of star status. Big fan of his work on Daredevil and Torso.

Haven't liked anything he's done in recent years, but still it's a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Bendis has changed a lot since his Daredevil run. Even his Daredevil run is closer to a Green Arrow or Nightwing run, than a Batman run. I also don't think Bendis can characterize Bruce well. He will most likely make him closer to Dick or Tim in personality (look at his Iron Man run).

DC just give him a young character and DON'T PUT HIM IN TEAM BOOKS!
    Well that's because Matt Murdock is younger.

But yes, I generally agree. I think Green Arrow, Nightwing (as much as this scares me), and a potential Tim Drake solo would be the best fits for him.
    Last edited by WhipWhirlwind; 11-07-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Well that's because Matt Murdock is younger.

But yes, I generally agree. I think Green Arrow, Nightwing (as much as this scares me), and a potential Tim Drake solo would be the best fits for him.
    I don't want Bendis on Nightwing, but a Tim Drake solo is good if he can do another Ultimate Spider-Man.

I think he is going to end up on Detective and Tynion will be moved onto something else. I also assume he will launch another book as he usually does multiple books that will feature someone who has not had a solo book for a bit maybe a Tim Drake book. At some point he will probably get an event book though and play with the Justice League and that could go either way, but his strength would be in the Bat family books.

BANNED

Uh Oh.

He's gonna be on Justice League or Batman for sure. Or both.

If you dont think he is doing gotham books and eventually justice league and superman, you are crazy.

I weep, hopefully the art will make up for the weak storytelling

If you dont think he is doing gotham books and eventually justice league and superman, you are crazy.

I weep, hopefully the art will make up for the weak storytelling