View Poll Results: Should Bendis take on a Gotham title?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

54 35.29%
  • no

57 37.25%
  • maybe, depends

42 27.45%
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Should Bendis take on a Gotham title?

So Brian is now DC exclusive but no announcements yet about what he is actually taking on.

He may not be everyone's cup of tea, he is pretty take it or leave it depending on the title and content for me, but I think his solid work comes from street level heroes, things like Alias and his Daredevil run come to mind. I think to me that's what stands out amongst his work.

The dude can write like 4 titles at a time, and if he's passionate about it I can see him approaching a Gotham title if he wanted.

I'm just curious, does anyone think he could fit into the Gotham titles or concept? Idk at the moment because I don't even know how he would a approach a DC title.

Yes, Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-Man are IMO his best superhero work.

Batman, Nightwing, and Tim Drake solos would all be in his wheelhouse. Or perhaps something like Gotham Central?

There's a lot of DC properties I don't want him writing, but I especially don't want him near anything Gotham-related.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Maybe a Street-Level GCPD title about Bullock, Montoya and Jim. Or the Question.

Update: I've had an idea for the GCPD Series, maybe Jim, Harvey and Rene solving the Crimes that occur and Batman doesnt get to
    Last edited by Denirac; 11-07-2017 at 02:26 PM.

I feel like Gotham is too much like his normal niche for him not to write a book there but I can't say I want to see him writing any of the main Batfamily.

I don't follow Marvel books, save a few trades when they are on sale on Comixology. What's the problem with this Bendis guy? The reaction from DC fans are overwhelmingly negative, at least on my social media. His arrival at DC is being treated with the same enthusiasm you might expect from an outbreak of Ebola. Anyone care to fill me in?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I don't follow Marvel books, save a few trades when they are on sale on Comixology. What's the problem with this Bendis guy? The reaction from DC fans are overwhelmingly negative, at least on my social media. His arrival at DC is being treated with the same enthusiasm you might expect from an outbreak of Ebola. Anyone care to fill me in?
    He's very divisive.

If I had to point out why, his style doesn't fit a lot of the titles he's been put on, he's not all that great on team books, never been one for continuity, and his dialogue style has become very easy to parody.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    He's bad at team books and really anything not street level, and even then he has a tendency to make all the characters he writes have the same voice. He also tends to disregard continuity on a whim for his own purposes, especially in terms of characterization.

A strong editor can help with much of that, but it's still worrying.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

BANNED

He`s divisive because in later years he was very much using his pull inside Marvel to be "the" writer who would tackle a godawful number of books. The feel is that he wanted to leave his print in every sector of the Marvel universe over the work other writers were doing in other books or even solo titles. He`s not a bad writer by any means, he`s good but like Frontier says his application of the same style for every characer/book was bound to be more miss than hit. For one, nobody, I don`t care how good you are, nobody is going to write everything well and second, the moment you make your stuff on top of other people`s work, those fanbases won`t back you up either.

Earlier Bendis on the other hand was tailor made for series like Mother Panic and a Jason sort of solo (keep Outlaws with Loedbell). I could say 90`s Tim Drake but that`s basically another Spiderman.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

When I got back into comics Bendis' DD was huge so I'd like him on a Gotham Central type of book and I like the idea of Bendis doing to a youngster in the Batfamily what Chuck Dixon did to Tim Drake since his Ultimate Spider-Man was something I always liked. Spider-Woman was real nice so maybe Batwoman/Huntress?

Ok. Thanks everyone. I can't say I'm looking forward to his work but I'll try it if he's writing a character I like.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    When I got back into comics Bendis' DD was huge so I'd like him on a Gotham Central type of book and I like the idea of Bendis doing to a youngster in the Batfamily what Chuck Dixon did to Tim Drake since his Ultimate Spider-Man was something I always liked. Spider-Woman was real nice so maybe Batwoman/Huntress?
    Please, for the love of everything good, no.

Today is the first time that I heard about him... and many people talking bad about him? NOTHING GOOD, I hope not see him with my favorite characters..

DIVISIVE...... NO...

and seems that the Batfamily is the kind of characters that you can see him.... WHY? Why he is in DC?
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-07-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Please, for the love of everything good, no.
    I think he might be able to write Huntress. Maybe not Rebirth Huntress.

And Kate? Probably not. Though he likely appreciates her being Jewish .

Fantastic Member

I'd like him on a Tim Drake Solo.