View Poll Results: Should Bendis take on a Gotham title?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

54 35.29%
  • no

57 37.25%
  • maybe, depends

42 27.45%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I’m more so talking about people who, admittedly haven’t read anything from him, but are just rushing to judgment. I’ve read Bendis stuff I really liked and some stuff I didn’t like. But in general, I think the tone he brings to his work is something that the DCU has been missing for quite some time now.
    Out of curiosity, what kind of tone do you think that would be?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Out of curiosity, what kind of tone do you think that would be?
    Just a general sense of groundedness and a use of past relationships. I feel like ever since Snyder took over Batman (and even before that, during Morrison's run), the Bat titles have been this big bombastic affair. Bruce has been taking down the League on several occasions, fighting giant monsters and undead zombie assassins, getting involved in big conflicts between super villains, founding worldwide crimefighting organizations, and the like. It feels like the Batman line has lost touch with with the down to earth crime noir elements that made Batman enjoyable throughout much the Bronze Age up through the 90s.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 11-14-2017 at 07:49 PM.

To be fair, Bendis is also responsible for a lot of acclaimed work. As many have pointed out, his Daredevil run is regarded as one of the best runs of all time on the title. People shouldn’t be quick to judgment without reading what he’s done in the past.
    ... My WORST fear is see him with DAMIAN WAYNE, after that in Detective Comics.. Damian is enough divisive in Teen Titans now, I donīt want him in hands of one writer with fame of divisive..

And I have no COMPLAINS about my favorite comics(except TT)... Like with New Super-man, I would never change the team in Red Hood and the Outlaws..

I heard that he is like another Tom King, I am out in 5 chapters, sure..
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-14-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    ... My WORST fear is see him with DAMIAN WAYNE, after that in Detective Comics.. Damian is enough divisive in Teen Titans now, I donīt want him in hands of one writer with fame of divisive..
    Yes, but what I’m saying is that, if you haven’t read any of Bendis’s work, it doesn’t make sense to simply write him off. He is also responsible for some of the most highly regarded work there is out there in comics like his Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-Man. You should sample some of his work and see if his style suits your tastes.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 11-14-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Yes, but what I’m saying is that, if you haven’t read any of Bendis’s work, it doesn’t make sense to simply write him off. He is also responsible for some of the most highly regarded work there is out there in comics like his Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-Man. You should sample some of his work and see if his style suits your tastes.

Okay. I’m not seeing how this relates to what we’re talking about though.
    Ultimate Spider-man, I remember one TV serie with that name.. Nick Fury was here.. I am fan of Spiderman, I saw series/films and played games...I heard about him.. Daredevil seems another batman... But too colorful..

I think that with DC I have enough... In the Animated world that DCs characters surprised me more than MARVEL characters(however, Spiderman was in other level).. And I remember talk with one very angry marvel fan recently, he said that DC is better option than marvel..

I think that many of the currents team are good in his comics... The teams should change someday but... DC should choose a good team like they did with Green Lanterns... With Hitman, I would accept this, even doubting, I think that the people would convince me that he is a good choice for the comic... But with Bendis the people is negative, I canīt be positive..
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-14-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Only 60 voters?

That’s shockingly low

This board needs some rejuvenation

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Ultimate Spider-man, I remember one TV serie with that name..
    I'm talking about the comic book series from the early 2000s.

Daredevil seems another batman... But too colorful..
    Daredevil and Batman are incredibly different characters.

But with Bendis the people is negative, I canīt be positive..
    Are they, though? Because even the poll has more people saying he should take up a Gotham title than not. So, its not all that negative. Bendis has, up till now, basically been the Geoff Johns of Marvel. He has an impressive body of work, with some notable stinkers, yes, but also many notable successes.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 11-14-2017 at 02:51 PM.

BANNED

But at the same time that are both orphaned by criminals, trained martial artists, street level vigilantes who like to swing from rooftops, wear full body costumes with cowls that have pointy raising up from their head, go through love interests like Hank Pym goes through identities...

They are in many ways more alike than they are different.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    But at the same time that are both orphaned by criminals, trained martial artists, street level vigilantes who like to swing from rooftops, wear full body costumes with cowls that have pointy raising up from their head, go through love interests like Hank Pym goes through identities...

They are in many ways more alike than they are different.
    Matt Murdock is a devout Catholic, has actually been married, has superhuman abilities, grew up poor, was orphaned only when he reached college age, is not consumed with his father's murder the same way Bruce is with his parents' deaths, has never had a sidekick, and is blind. All of those are things that do not apply to Bruce.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 11-14-2017 at 03:10 PM.

BANNED

Matt Murdock is a devout Catholic, has actually been married, has superhuman abilities, grew up poor, was orphaned only when he reached college age, is not consumed with his father's murder the same way Bruce is with his parents' deaths, has never had a sidekick, and is blind. All of those are things that do not apply to Bruce.
    Yes, they are not identical.

But they're more similar than they are different.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, they are not identical.

But they're more similar than they are different.
    I'd say its the exact opposite. They are completely different people with virtually no similarities in terms of their personalities or backgrounds. The only thing they really share is their aesthetic.

BANNED

I'd say its the exact opposite. They are completely different people with virtually no similarities in terms of their personalities or backgrounds. The only thing they really share is their aesthetic.
    Batman and Supergirl are different.
    Daredevil and Groot are different.

Batman and Daredevil are similar.

I'm talking about the comic book series from the early 2000s.

Are they, though? Because even the poll has more people saying he should take up a Gotham title than not. So, its not all that negative. Bendis has, up till now, basically been the Geoff Johns of Marvel. He has an impressive body of work, with some notable stinkers, yes, but also many notable successes.
    I saw one TV serie with the same name, maybe based in that comic..

It doesnīt matter, despite I said this, I have enough with the heroes that I read now..

...If he does not touch DETECTIVE COMICS and RED HOOD AND OUTLAWS(Talking only about the Bat-line), I can be fine with this..
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-15-2017 at 02:46 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Batman and Supergirl are different.
    Daredevil and Groot are different.

Batman and Daredevil are similar.
    In only their aesthetics. When we look at their individual character and personalities, incredibly different. In fact, Daredevil was originally created to be a clone of Spider-Man, not Batman. So he’s about as similar to Bruce as Peter is.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 11-15-2017 at 05:59 AM.

BANNED

In only their aesthetics. When we look at their individual character and personalities, incredibly different. In fact, Daredevil was originally created to be a clone of Spider-Man, not Batman. So he’s about as similar to Bruce as Peter is.
    Welp, there are a lot of similarities between Batman and Spider-Man. Especially pre-Miller Batman.