Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venom 156 & 157

Default Venom 156 & 157

Is no one else reading this book?

I’m loving it. Today’s issue has a cool ending.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I'm reading it, and yeah, it's been awesome, though I hope that the next issue has a proper Venom/Kraven fight. I also like the dynamic of the suit and Eddie not being able to fully bond due to the condition caused by the anti-symbiote chemicals Eddie was given a while back, though I hope it gets resolved soon and that Venom becomes as formidable as he used to be. At full power, he could probably take down most of Spider-Man's classic villains and is by far the toughest, most skilled of the non-Peter Spiders.

I do get a little annoyed when people refer to Venom's desire to eat brains as 'cannibalism.' Brock doesn't want to do that, it's the symbiotes way of getting nutrients that it can no longer get to a faulty bond.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Yeah that’s right. Isn’t Chocolate the way that Eddie tackled that problem?

Yes, although that was a slightly different problem that they symbiote had, so it might not work this time around.

This story makes the whole symbiote origin story about the Klyntar make alot more sense. From the images we saw in GOTG, early symbiotes generally didn't have Venom's carnivorous jaws, but developed them as they bonded with less perfect hosts. This could indicate that even when a bond between a host and a symbiote was fine, the symbiote was still wasn't getting all the nutrients it needed and had to use other methods. This recent problem with Venom is the most extreme examples, but as you said, the symbiote's craving for phenethylamine and later adrenaline in Spectacular Spider-Man indicates that there was always some kind of problem. It might also explain why Spider-man never got a mouth while bonded to the symbiote, as Peter was the perfect host.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

It has become a little complex over time. Lots of retcons but since secret war, we can select the most fitting developments to make the past coherent.

I’m loving having Bagley on the book reminds my of Bagley’s run on amazing. Today’s cover art is awesome. I’m happy to have the original and best Venom back.

I love that Bagley's back too, but I don't like how he's toned down Venom's appearance. We're getting this:

But I prefer this:

Agreed. I do prefer Bagley’s pre ultimate Spider man style he draws heads and hands a little big now and yeah the style is a little less detailed. But at least he looks like Venom now and not a monster. I always see Venom as exactly as MJ describes in 300. Basically A body builder in the Black spidey suit with that awesome, gross mouth.

Man the art you show there from 375 is my fav ever Venom art and one of my fav issues.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Is there a reason why Venom has become so weak he can get hurt by bullets and knives now? I remember Flash with the suit laughing at those types of things and having like a Deadpool level healing factor... and Eddie was just as good with durability (but didn't have such a crazy healing factor) back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Is there a reason why Venom has become so weak he can get hurt by bullets and knives now? I remember Flash with the suit laughing at those types of things and having like a Deadpool level healing factor... and Eddie was just as good with durability (but didn't have such a crazy healing factor) back in the day.
    His symbiote is weakened because it can't fully bond with Eddie. Medication helps this, but he hasn't taken a dose in a while.

Is Bagley back on art after Venom Inc ?

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    His symbiote is weakened because it can't fully bond with Eddie. Medication helps this, but he hasn't taken a dose in a while.
    Oh yeah, that’s what the regular visits to Alchemax are for, right? But how/why did this happen in the first place? Is it due to the side effects of being forcibly ripped away from Flash?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Oh yeah, that’s what the regular visits to Alchemax are for, right? But how/why did this happen in the first place? Is it due to the side effects of being forcibly ripped away from Flash?
    That, and all the drugs Eddie was taking to keep Toxin under control when they were still bonded and with the FBI. Because of those drugs, his biochemistry and the Venom symbiote's have become incompatible.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That, and all the drugs Eddie was taking to keep Toxin under control when they were still bonded and with the FBI. Because of those drugs, his biochemistry and the Venom symbiote's have become incompatible.
    hmm... yeah, I really should go back and finish that Carnage series so I can get back up to date with all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    Agreed. I do prefer Bagley’s pre ultimate Spider man style he draws heads and hands a little big now and yeah the style is a little less detailed. But at least he looks like Venom now and not a monster. I always see Venom as exactly as MJ describes in 300. Basically A body builder in the Black spidey suit with that awesome, gross mouth.

Man the art you show there from 375 is my fav ever Venom art and one of my fav issues.
    It's ironic; Erik Larsen was the artist who gave Venom his signature tongue to try to make the character look stupid, but fans embraced the look. Personally, I think it does make sense from a biological standpoint.

Mark Bagley will probably be coming back to the series after Venom Inc.; it's a shame he won't get to be an artist for the story itself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    Is no one else reading this book?

I’m loving it. Today’s issue has a cool ending.
    Yeah, absolutely. Really digging this book and I loved that the ending to #157 was a homage to ASM #33. Very cool!