Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who should take over Miles Morales?

Now that Bendis is leaving Marvel for DC, It looks like miles will be needing a new writer. Who does everyone want? My creative team personally would be Brian k Vaughan and Adrian Alphona, but I know BKV hasn’t written for marvel in a while so it’s a long shot. They would kill it with Miles, though.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I wouldn't mind Chris Yost or G. Willow Wilson being given a chance with it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I wouldn't mind Chris Yost or G. Willow Wilson being given a chance with it.
    I can’t believe I didn’t think of G Willow Wilson. She’s amazing at writing family relationships, that’s a perfect fit for Miles and his parents.

She is, she's one of my favourite current Marvel writers right now and I think she could do a great job with Miles if she was interested.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

My short list would go:
    • David Walker: He's expressed interest in writing the character in the past and has experience writing street level characters. He's also close friends with Bendis IRL so I'd imagine if there was going to be a baton pass, he'd be an easy pick.
    • Jason Reynold: Wrote the Miles Morales YA Novel which was well received, on the other hand has not had much experience with comicbooks. Though given Marvel's experiments in the past with hiring novel writers, I could see him as a possibility.
    • Christopher Hastings: Did a really good job with Miles in both of his guest appearances in Gwenpool.
    • Robbie Thompson: Robbie Thompson has definitely made his rounds across the Spider-Man titles; Silk, Spidey, currently taking the lead on Spider-Man/Deadpool. I think he could do a good job with Miles as well.
    • Jason Latour: Latour's voice for Miles was pretty strong in the crossover with Spider-Gwen and I think he's done a good job get that "classic" feel for character Progression in Spider-Gwen.
    • Jeremy Whitley: Wrote the Champions' tie in issue to Monsters Unleashes and the Unstoppable Wasp series. Got a really good light charm to his series that I think can translate well.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    My short list would go:
    • David Walker: He's expressed interest in writing the character in the past and has experience writing street level characters. He's also close friends with Bendis IRL so I'd imagine if there was going to be a baton pass, he'd be an easy pick.
    • Jason Reynold: Wrote the Miles Morales YA Novel which was well received, on the other hand has not had much experience with comicbooks. Though given Marvel's experiments in the past with hiring novel writers, I could see him as a possibility.
    • Christopher Hastings: Did a really good job with Miles in both of his guest appearances in Gwenpool.
    • Robbie Thompson: Robbie Thompson has definitely made his rounds across the Spider-Man titles; Silk, Spidey, currently taking the lead on Spider-Man/Deadpool. I think he could do a good job with Miles as well.
    • Jason Latour: Latour's voice for Miles was pretty strong in the crossover with Spider-Gwen and I think he's done a good job get that "classic" feel for character Progression in Spider-Gwen.
    • Jeremy Whitley: Wrote the Champions' tie in issue to Monsters Unleashes and the Unstoppable Wasp series. Got a really good light charm to his series that I think can translate well.
    * Not sure on Walker personally but I'd be open to it.
    * Reynold, I've yet to read that novel so I'll leave my opinion on him until I do so for now.
    * Hastings, I don't read Gwenpool so I can't comment.
    * Thompson, I'm a fan of Thompson from what I've read of his work so far so I'd be happy with that.
    * Latour, yeah he'd be okay.
    * Whitley, didn't read Monsters Unleashed or Unstoppable Wasp so can't comment.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosIncarnate View Post
    I can’t believe I didn’t think of G Willow Wilson. She’s amazing at writing family relationships, that’s a perfect fit for Miles and his parents.
    No-go, it seems. Someone on Reddit mentioned that the reason she stopped A-Force (which Kelly Thompson, who had been co-writing it, finished off by herself) was because her daughter has a heart problem. That's why she only does Ms. Marvel. No time for anything else.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    No-go, it seems. Someone on Reddit mentioned that the reason she stopped A-Force (which Kelly Thompson, who had been co-writing it, finished off by herself) was because her daughter has a heart problem. That's why she only does Ms. Marvel. No time for anything else.
    That's a shame. I hope her daughter gets better one day, and in the meantime, still enjoying Ms. Marvel (and her interactions/friendship with Miles).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

The difficulty here is that sales-wise, Miles has had the advantage of being written by a big name, so ideally you'd want to replace Bendis with another big name... of which Marvel has almost none left. Aaron is the biggest name they have, but I think he'd write an awful Miles.

I'd say they should just go with a talented character + continuity writer like Ewing or (dare I say it) Slott. If it sells, it sells. If not, then at least Miles' series will go out with his character and story intact.

Reggie Hudlin
    Geoffrey Thorne
    Jason Reynolds

Fantastic Member

Christopher priest

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    My short list would go:

I like this list. David Walker or Ta-Nehisi Coates would also be interesting choices.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Quote Originally Posted by mbm721 View Post
    Christopher priest
    Don't take Priest away of Justice League AND MUCH LESS don't take Priest from Justice League to put Bendis there. Just no. Let Christopher Priest have his critic and public acclaimed Justice League run.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Don't take Priest away of Justice League AND MUCH LESS don't take Priest from Justice League to put Bendis there. Just no. Let Christopher Priest have his critic and public acclaimed Justice League run.
    Priest is on Justice League? Awesome!

That being said, I'd be more than fine with Jason Reynolds writing Miles in the comics as well, or Geoffrey Thorne, since his Spider-Man guest appearance in Mosaic had an interesting challenge from Mosaic's POV to the web-slinger's motto "with great power, there must also come great responsibility." In light of the recent comics having Miles question whether or not he should be following in Peter's footsteps as Spider-Man, it could be interesting to see Thorne develop a more unique perspective and motivation for Miles. David Walker would be cool, too; I liked him on Power Man and Iron Fist and he's already expressed an interest in writing Miles, so it could be his big chance (no offense to Nighthawk, Luke Cage, or Iron Fist).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Geoffrey Thorne was saying how excited he was to be working on a book he couldn't talk about.

i do wonder if he got Miles.