Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Default Anyone else fatigued by Metal?

Outside of the main line of Metal, I'm so sick of it. It's too much. And also, let's be honest. This is practically the same storyline from Johns Forever Evil but instead of the Crime Syndicate its a Batman-centric Crime Syndicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Outside of the main line of Metal, I'm so sick of it. It's too much. And also, let's be honest. This is practically the same storyline from Johns Forever Evil but instead of the Crime Syndicate its a Batman-centric Crime Syndicate.
    No wonder it's bad, DC has let Scott Snyder write it.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    No wonder it's bad, DC has let Scott Snyder write it.
    Come on. Snyder is a good writer. Unfortunately, his unhealthy obsession with Batman has mutated his perception of the rest of the DC Universe to the point where the entire multiverse now revolves around Batman. DC should have forced him onto another title after Batman #60. He can never be allowed to write Justice League, though. He turned every team encounter into a more over the top version of Tower of Babel (see "Endgame," "Metal #2 &#3).

BANNED

Well I disagree for the simple reason that this event is doing more with side characters not named Batman than Forever Evil ever did.
    They've fleshed out the Dark Knights and presented them as threats while the CSA remain empty shells and were fodderized so that Johns could feed them to his favorites.
    The tie inns are important to the story, each is a piece added to the larger puzzle which makes characters appearing in said tie inns important.
    In contrast Johns did nothing with Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War and ARGUS.
    The event is moving at a good pace while Forever Evil was barely crawling around from issue 2-6.
    Its far more tightly plotted as well, Snyder is continuing and wrapping threads from his run, Grant Morrison's Batman run, Johns Hawkman, various other DC stories. FE abandoned the Grayson/Owlman plot that kick started the event. So FE worked with far less and still couldn't make use of its concepts in a proper fashion.

I can go on but Metal completely wipes the floor with Forever Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    Well I disagree for the simple reason that this event is doing more with side characters not named Batman than Forever Evil ever did.
    They've fleshed out the Dark Knights and presented them as threats while the CSA remain empty shells and were fodderized so that Johns could feed them to his favorites.
    The tie inns are important to the story, each is a piece added to the larger puzzle which makes characters appearing in said tie inns important.
    In contrast Johns did nothing with Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War and ARGUS.
    The event is moving at a good pace while Forever Evil was barely crawling around from issue 2-6.
    Its far more tightly plotted as well, Snyder is continuing and wrapping threads from his run, Grant Morrison's Batman run, Johns Hawkman, various other DC stories. FE abandoned the Grayson/Owlman plot that kick started the event. So FE worked with far less and still couldn't make use of its concepts in a proper fashion.

I can go on but Metal completely wipes the floor with Forever Evil.
    Lol. Says the guy that has a handle named after the story!

Jokes aside, I don't dispute your points regarding Forever Evil vs. Metal. I just think that even if Metal is better executed (and that is debatable), it still steals the basic plot, which I don't admire at all.

BANNED

LOL

I dont see stealing tbh, Metal is about an invasion of perverted version of Batmen from a multiverse built by nightmares. CSA are a generic group of evil JLA from a generic evil universe where left is right.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm finding Metal a lot better than Forever Evil. Yes, this is a multiversal level exploration of Batman's dark sides, but it's really fun and more coherent.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Just adding to the choir. FE was okay but Metal has been freakin' awesome. Honestly? Can't believe it's over halfway done already.
    Batman - Daredevil

BANNED

While Forever Evil wasn't very good (And it helped that I was reading a trade from the library) it still kept my interest till the end. The Dark Days issues were SO boring I was already tired of Metal before it even started, leading to me deciding to skip the event.

That said, despite my still finding the concept of the Dark Knights dumb, having now heard each of their stories, individually, Red Death, Murder Machine, Dawnbreaker and Merciless all sound more interesting than anything that happened in Forever Evil and I kinda want to check out their one-shots, if nothing else. (Destroyer, Drowned and Batman Who Laughs all sound pretty lame though)

Fatigued by Metal? I want more of it!

Seriously, as much as I am enjoying it, I am also finding it to be enfuriating... Because it looks like with every new issue there is something new added that I want to see more of. I would have loved to see more of those awesome evil batcaves, or more developed fights during the bats out of hell spin off, or more pages featuring the origins of each nightmare batman... And the list goes on and on. Whats is more (SPOILERS from justice league 33 and the batman who laughs):

spoilers:
    We just saw a glimpse of the army from the dark multiverse, there still are characters to be introduced (plastic man!!!), and there are only 5 issues left.
    end of spoilers

Fatigued, you say? Couldn't be farther from the truth.

And as for the comparisons with FE, it is true what you say, but being honest, the whole idea of an invasion from another planet/dimension/universe/whatever wasn't fresh either when Johns wrote that event. What matters is what surrounds it, and Metal seems surrounded by pure win.

Y'know, I keep waiting for that "hope" stuff Geoff Johns said Rebirth was going to restore to the DC line . . .

Nope but it’s only because I have stuck to the main metal book. The only crossovers I have purchased are the ones that happened to effect my regular monthly books on my pull list. I did get Batman lost and I will also get Hawkman found.

Forever Evil did it much better.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Nope but it’s only because I have stuck to the main metal book. The only crossovers I have purchased are the ones that happened to effect my regular monthly books on my pull list. I did get Batman lost and I will also get Hawkman found.
    Not a Batman fan,so I'm hoping to see what Hawkman's involvement will be
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    Not a Batman fan,so I'm hoping to see what Hawkman's involvement will be
    Hawkman will probably get killed off.
    Pull List: Currently Empty