View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

4 10.53%
  • ★★★★

7 18.42%
  • ★★★

7 18.42%
  • ★★

14 36.84%
  • 6 15.79%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Yeah Rebirth, and not just in Wonder Woman is something of a huge mess of continuity. Diana might have one of the worst cases admittedly since it certainly seems to be contradicting the almost immediate Rucka run.

But I think it's best to just think that continuity is quite literally is being written and re-written during Rebirth and has no set position at the moment. It's what I've worked on the assumption of, especially because of the continuity fest of the Justice League of America book which features stuff and characters referencing stories that CAN'T work as they do with current continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Yeah Rebirth, and not just in Wonder Woman is something of a huge mess of continuity. Diana might have one of the worst cases admittedly since it certainly seems to be contradicting the almost immediate Rucka run.

But I think it's best to just think that continuity is quite literally is being written and re-written during Rebirth and has no set position at the moment. It's what I've worked on the assumption of, especially because of the continuity fest of the Justice League of America book which features stuff and characters referencing stories that CAN'T work as they do with current continuity.
    Agreed. I am enjoying (to varying degrees) the way it is playing out on the page in the Superman books, the Titans, The Flash, and with Tim Drake in Detective. The whole shifting and amended continuity is happening in story which (in my glass half-full approach) I'm enjoying more than in WW where it just appears to be uncoordinated with the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing (or maybe just 'not caring').

It seems that such confusion is inevitable whenever DC plays the 'Continuity Shuffle' game... at least having it be in-story makes it more fun (for me at least) than the weird confusion that happened between COIE and Zero Hour.

Incredible Member

Considering Diana's just learned that she's never actually been back to Themiscyra, and that's she's been away from everyone she grew up with for years, I can almost forgive the sappy way she approaches meeting Jason and their ensuing conversation. But it's SO sappy that I find it hard to swallow.

But good lord - if it doesn't turn out that Jason is actually good and is being mind-controlled or employing some strategy, then this issue will have been an almost complete waste of endless exposition, because none of the narrative coming from a character who betrays so readily is reliable.

I'll take this over Diana clutching a teddy bear or the penultimate revamped Aegeus any day, but that doesn't mean it's great.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I would ask first for the definition of a 'god' in this case.
    Both parents of divine origin. That`s the standard rule of thumb. Heracles was born a "demi" because one of his parents was human.

Dionysus is the one exception among the Olympians in that his rituals involved sacred religious and psychadelic misteries of Death/rebirth and ascencion and thus always around a godlike event like the tale that Zeus gave his heart for Seleme to eat so Dyonisius would born a full God or sewed his desmebered parts after the Titans ate him apart so he could be recreated anew, thus earning the name of "Twice-Born". That`s the narrative element not presente, for exemple, on Heracles tales.

In the Orphic rites, where the dismembered event mostly takes place as part of his iconography, he is twice-ascended as well since he will inherent the staff of rule from his father Zeus who in turn is also ascended having eaten Phanes (the First Born, the first conscious primordial creator of life in the Universe) to receated the Universe once more after being passed on to him by Nix.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Decent issue. I didn't expect Jason's twist.
    Which about sums it up for me.

Except - this was Wonder Woman's 700th issue? In her 75th Anniversary Year when her first big screen appearance has everyone talking about her and has smashed records, this was it?

Seems kind of... I dunno... laid back?

Anyway, yeah the twist was good. Nice to see Diana really going to town on Grail, if only briefly.

Not really sure that air pressure can create a tsunami. Usually they are cause by earthquakes or massive land shifts. In other words, Poseidon's domain.

And considering he is called Jason, was raised by an Argonaut, and lives as a fishermen, maybe he and Diana aren't twins after all. LOL
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Not really sure that air pressure can create a tsunami. Usually they are cause by earthquakes or massive land shifts. In other words, Poseidon's domain.
    Or rather... Demeter's. Anyways, hurricanes and storms also cause floods... but if Jason's power is to direct the winds, he could make a tsunami like effect if he directs a large enough current down onto the sea... which I think is what he did since the alternative was to direct it towards Diana like a storm.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think it's very telling that Jason and Diana never mention their mother by name, only their father. Meaning that Diana & Jason are indeed siblings, but Jason is not the son of Hippolyta. They're half-brother and sister.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think it's very telling that Jason and Diana never mention their mother by name, only their father. Meaning that Diana & Jason are indeed siblings, but Jason is not the son of Hippolyta. They're half-brother and sister.
    huh? Not mentioning their mother by name is telling that they're half-siblings?

He was off the island before his third diaper change.

BANNED

Not really, it just means Jason doesn't have any functioning relationship with Hippolyta, which is not surprising considering the visitors he would have would always be of Zeus' line.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    Agreed. I am enjoying (to varying degrees) the way it is playing out on the page in the Superman books, the Titans, The Flash, and with Tim Drake in Detective. The whole shifting and amended continuity is happening in story which (in my glass half-full approach) I'm enjoying more than in WW where it just appears to be uncoordinated with the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing (or maybe just 'not caring').

It seems that such confusion is inevitable whenever DC plays the 'Continuity Shuffle' game... at least having it be in-story makes it more fun (for me at least) than the weird confusion that happened between COIE and Zero Hour.
    I don't know, I think they may have a plan after all. I say that only because of the way A.R.G.U.S. and Steve Trevor's titles of Master Chief/Colonel were eventually addressed, after first seeming like a massive mistake. The Donna Troy origin is starting to tie together too, after appearing to be more of a mess than ever before. I'm not saying it's a good plan, but that there may revelations later that fix the inconsistencies of Wonder Woman's Rebirth.

Spectacular Member

He is her twin brother!

I’m no expert on Wonder Woman; I bought this issue and the previous issue because I thought I’d check out her current run. So I didn’t have many preconceptions.

Bloomin’ eck, but I found that underwhelming though

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't know, I think they may have a plan after all. I say that only because of the way A.R.G.U.S. and Steve Trevor's titles of Master Chief/Colonel were eventually addressed, after first seeming like a massive mistake. The Donna Troy origin is starting to tie together too, after appearing to be more of a mess than ever before. I'm not saying it's a good plan, but that there may revelations later that fix the inconsistencies of Wonder Woman's Rebirth.
    I agree, which is why I said 'appears'. If we saw more of this playing out 'on-stage' we (the audience) wouldn't have to speculate about how much they were planning, how much Rucka's run is contradicted by other things etc. I think they do have a plan but the big question is how much Rucka's run was in-line with that plan. If we saw more on-stage addressing of the shifting continuity (specifically in regards to the rest of the DC universe) I think there would be less confusion and discussion about what is or is not currently in continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalethas31 View Post
    He is her twin brother!
    Yeah. Half-siblings can't be twins.